Hi! We're new and could use some advice....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter Hallie had her first meet today, an in house meet. She just started gymnastics at the end of January and has moved up levels at lightening speed. We always knew she was predisposed to the sport, teacheing herself cartwheels, roundoffs and backwalkovers thinking she had invented them but today we were very pleasently surprised. At the end of January she started out at level 1 (as everyone does) and today, she made it to level 3!!! Her ultimate goal is the olympics but wants to be on the competition team at her gym and we got an invite from the owner to preteam last week. I am unsure what to do about that, but I think we are going to have her move into the level 3 classes until the next meet in June and then accept the invite to preteam then. I want her to get a good foundation at level 3 before she has the added pressure of preteam. It's not the added time, she goes three times a week and never misses an extra clininc, bar, back handspring whathaveyou... but I think a solid foundation at this level and the confidence in herself and the new skills would be nice before she starts preteam would be best (in team and preteam they run it sort of like the military, if somone comes out of their bridge or a stretch during warm ups for example the whole team has to start over). One good thing is she gets to keep her current coach who we both love. She pushes the girls but is great at giving praise when it's really earned.

Anyway, wanted to say hi and see what you all thought. I was in gymnastics for 2 years before I made team level but I after today I can honestly say my little monkey (8 years old by the way) has a gift. I don't want to stifle her but yet I don't want her to loose the love of what she is doing either by going too fast.....

Hi, hope to see you all around and thanks for any advice!

Heather, proud mom to my gold medal winner Hallie

Edited because I was replying to the wrong post. OMG I should drink more!!! Sorry about that.

YOur post is in the perfect spot.

Last edited:
No, you are fine posting here. :) Welcome to the world of competitive gymnastics and chalkbucket!!!! You will find lots of great people here with lots of knowledge! I have a 10 yr old level 7 get ready to start 8 after state next week. Have fun!!!!

Okay now I have fixed my first post, I have no idea how I got that confused. SOunds like your DD has made a great start. ON the subject of preteam I think I would lean towards it as many clubs do not even compete L1-L4 as they are no required to by USAG. Your little one is 8 and would be the perfect age for L4 and it sounds like she picks up very quickly.

Though you know her best.

Glad to have you here we have lots of L3/L4 parents and they will be able to give you great advice. Welcome to the marathon that is gym.

Would it be possible for your daughter to try out the preteam class once or twice to see how she handles it? I see where you are coming from not wanting too much pressure too soon, losing the joy for the sport because it gets too serious is the reason most people quit, and it sounds like she just naturally has a love for it. I'm sure the pre-team would make sure she has solid basics, that is realistically their goal is to lay the solid foundation for the girls to do well with their more advanced skills.

A couple things you may want to ask to help make this decision:
-Will she enjoy one class more than the other? If she has a chance to try out both, this will let her help you make the decision as well.
-Besides the difference in expectations for conditioning, what are the differences in the expectations for mastering the specific skills? You want to see if the L3 class focuses on mastering the skills as technically and with as proper form as pre-team emphasizes. If the L3 class doesn't place this same emphasis, it may be even more frustrating for your daughter when she moves to pre-team if skills she thought she does well are nit-picked to death. Not saying this *would* be the case, but that you want to find out.

~Katy

I'd ask if she can try the preteam. I've coach preteam at a couple separate gyms and all are extremely selective. Even when some girls have the skills, they aren't invited. Personality, drive, motivation is also taken into account. It sounds like your daughter is extremely motivated to progress and they probably noticed that and think she will keep up with the preteam group.

On the other hand I certainly don't think a couple months of L3 will make or break anything in the end so I'd talk it over with them and do whatever your family is most comfortable with.

Hello and welcome to the Chalk Bucket!!! My 10 yr old just started gymnastics also (April 2008) and loves it! She did cheer for 3 years before that so she had some experience with practices and competitions. She started out taking some extra tumbling classes (to help her cheer) and the coaches asked if she would be interested in gymnastics. Long story short, after cheer season she joined pre-team and then was moved up to Level 4 my the middle of May. I was pretty shocked at how quickly she picked everything up and the increased hours (8/wk for pre-team and 11/wk for Level 4) didn't seem too much for her.

I would think Pre-Team would be okay for your daughter. I think she would get more out of it then the level 3 classes and it would give her a taste for being on a team and bonding with the girls. I would ask to see if she can try out the pre-team and see how that goes. Age 8 also seems to be the perfect age to start because she is old enough to know if things get too hard for her and she is mature enough to handle a team environment--in my opinion anyway.

It sounds like you have a very talented daughter who is self-motivated and disciplined. She'll have a blast!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket!

I also think that the PreTeam might be a good option for your DD - and it is not just because we are all crazy team gym mom's here (even though we are.. oh and a couple crazy team dad's too).

Preteam also has a focus and foundation on the basics. She will start learning her routine and get strong basics in strength and conditioning too...

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks for all the advice. After talking with Hallie, we have decided to accept the invitation to preteam and go for it! Also, I tried to post in the parents forum but it wont let me, it appears I can only post in the introductions forum?

Heather

Thanks for all the advice. After talking with Hallie, we have decided to accept the invitation to preteam and go for it! Also, I tried to post in the parents forum but it wont let me, it appears I can only post in the introductions forum?

Heather

Heather, did you try to post in the parents forum before you joined the parents user group? If so that is the reason. If not let me know and I'll check it out.

Cute little girls you have there.

Heather

I figured out how to post in the parents forum. :D

Heather, did you try to post in the parents forum before you joined the parents user group? If so that is the reason. If not let me know and I'll check it out.

Cute little girls you have there.

Oh hehe! posted at the same time, I got it now thanks! And thanks on my girls, I'm biased but I agree. ;)

Heather

Hello and Welcome to CB! Sounds like you have a very gifted little gymmie in your hands. Hold on to your pocket book because it gets expensive very quick!! I am also a parent of a level 4 gymmie. She just finished her level 3 season in January and has been training level 4 for two months. She will hopefully start competing again in the Fall. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesistate to post.

Oh and by the way we love pics and vids.....:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back