Parents tried a new gym today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
sigh of relief. DD had a BLAST, the girls were all very welcoming. I felt good about the spotting. they worked 3 hrs and they worked hard, she loved it. After she asked if we could go back tomorrow? next friday? I made a comment about working hard and she said matter of fact "there was always something to do" It was a great experience. All the girls gave her hugs goodbye.

So why am I still filled with dread? I think I'm still struggling with the USAG vs USAIGC thing.

I plan to talk to the gym we tried out and see how they handle up training. Make sure she wouldn't stop working skills she already does.

Thanks everyone for your support, all the information and for "listening" to my rants :D

Hope you all have a great weekend and Good luck to anyone competing!

:rolleyes:

I am glad she had so much fun and liked the possible new gym.

As far as feeling filled with dread, I totally feel ya. I am freaking out about the possible gym change as well even though I know in my heart it is time for her to move on to somewhere better for her. I will miss my friends, she will miss hers. She looks so cute in her warm up, etc. LOL. I worry she will regret changing, so many things.

As for your situation, I can see how going from the wonderful world of individuality that USAIGC provides to the compulsories of USAG, but I imagine they would start her at L5 and she can move up from there. Did they have any ideas as to what they would do with levels, etc?

Good luck on your decision!

sigh of relief. DD had a BLAST, the girls were all very welcoming. I felt good about the spotting. they worked 3 hrs and they worked hard, she loved it. After she asked if we could go back tomorrow? next friday? I made a comment about working hard and she said matter of fact "there was always something to do" It was a great experience. All the girls gave her hugs goodbye.

So why am I still filled with dread? I think I'm still struggling with the USAG vs USAIGC thing.

:rolleyes:

My dd does the USAG. While the songs can be monotinous, I really like the program. The Optionals start at L7, so it is just L4-6 that are exactly the same for everyone. Besides if dd should choose to get a scholarship (not saying that that is even being considered, she's just in it because she loves it and is having fun), she would have to make a switch to USAG by L9-10 to be considered by colleges. I think that I read that in another post on here a while back. While that is a long time off (if ever), why not make the switch now?

Good luck!

We switched gyms back in October and I was filled so much dread and fear for the whole month prior to actually making the switch. No looking back several months later I am so glad that we made the switch.

why not make the switch now?

I agree, I just want to make sure she can continue to perfect the harder skills she picked up . . . like her BHS on beam, Ariel and tucks on floor . . .

I'm going to call the gym we tried on Monday and see if I can arrange for her to join them once a week and for the spring break . . . maybe a private or two.

She needs, and really really wants, to practice her highbar . . but they never adjust the bars for her. About 2 months ago she was doing her sqat on, jump to high bar, kip and fly away dismount . . . that was the last time she touched a highbar. very frustrating for her.

last week they taught her silver routines for beam and floor . . . she has this week in the gym . . then 2 weeks OFF . . then 2 weeks before she competes with these new harder routines! Just to finish of my rant of the day (LOL) I should mention they are only in 2 days . . Monday the coach that knows the routines won't be in . . . she'll be in Tues . . then she's out THURS . . . then 2 weeks off ! ! ! !

I need to have the coach at least write down the beam routine. I'll type it up and she can practice at home. That how she learned th last routine. I hung it up on the wall bnext to the beam and she glance over at it when she forget.

I'm done venting . . . at least for now! LOL

thanks everyone. so nice to be able to vent someplace where you're not looked at like you're crazy.

Deb

Just a little word of advice on switching gyms. I'm not sure of your background and why you are switching gyms but we have done it twice. The first time, it was the best move we could have possibly made. It made such an impact on our whole family and I have memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. But after 6 years, things happen and we were in a position to switch again. There was no way around it. The new gym was great...they were very welcoming and dd loved it! She tried it for about a week and then we made the permanent move. Shortly after that, the honeymoon period ran out, and everyone got back to their normal routine. The nice comments stopped and so did the hugs. Dd went into a deep depression. It wasn't all it was supposed to be and dd quit gymnastics for good. She was definitely a gymnast that was not ready to give up the sport. I don't know what we would have done differently, but my point is, PLEASE stay long enough at the new gym and get to know all the coaches by asking a lot of questions. Please make sure this is what you want to do becfore the final switch. Good luck.

Good advice gymnomore. Sorry to hijack here JessMom. Just wondering why gymnomore's DD quit if she still loved the sport? Just b/c that gym didn't work out, how about YMCA or USAIGC for her? Hey, we even have quite a few new adult gymnasts here on CB, that are finding ways to be a part of the sport. Where there's a will there's a way;). How about, T&T or group gymnastics they are options too.

thank you. I hope to do one day a week at new gym. if things continue to work out we'll do summer . . . then if things are still good we'll switch for good.

Thanks for the reminder! A great thing about this gym i shtat there are other kids closer to her age. Currently she is the youngest by about 5 years

That's really great news!! Let your hair down mom -- you done good! DD is happy = AA medal for mom.

The USAG vs USAIGC thing?? Wouldn't concern me one second. It is what it is... let her be happy and the medals to fall where they may.

It's SUCH a great feeling to see your DD back in in her element. I'm so happy you've found her a gym that she enjoys.

We like our gym (honest) - But - when my Nastia did a 2-day visit to the Parkettes gym in PA while seeing grandparents - she could not get/say/ or do enough about that gym. It's her dream to move there -- just for this gym.

Anytime we even mention going to PA... the first thing out of her mouth now is "Can I go to Parkettes? PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!". Nothing else seems to matter.

Good advice gymnomore. Sorry to hijack here JessMom. Just wondering why gymnomore's DD quit if she still loved the sport? Just b/c that gym didn't work out, how about YMCA or USAIGC for her? Hey, we even have quite a few new adult gymnasts here on CB, that are finding ways to be a part of the sport. Where there's a will there's a way;). How about, T&T or group gymnastics they are options too.

DD loved the sport but the new gym wasn't the same as the old one where she practically grew up and team-mates were like siblings. The conditioning and skill level at the new gym was much different and she felt like she was on the outside looking in. So she quit but is now involved in high school gymnastics, which has worked out wonderfully. She's growing up now, so other things have come into play, and the freedom from being in the gym fewer hours has allowed her to become more of a "normal" high school student.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back