• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Is our homepage (http://www.chalkbucket.com) useless?

I have been thinking about this for a long time now. I've been thinking of a concept that's like the Wikipedia homepage (Wikipedia).

I'll draw up a picture of the concept and attach it. For the time being, vote in the poll.

OK...here is my idea for a less confusing, more useful homepage. Click on the picture to expand it.

EDIT: As you can see...it looks just like the wikipedia homepage. I'm more concerned with the concept though. Do you guys like the idea of having separate portals (or homepages) for different subjects or groups?

The idea would be to get volunteers to edit each page. It's very hard to keep one homepage interesting to all, but targeted pages would be easy. If we had members that were interested in maintaining an NCAA page, then we would have one. If we didn't have volunteers to edit a certain page, then we wouldn't have that portal.

What do you guys think? Let me know...good...bad...let me have it.

Attachments

• cb-homepage.jpg
    cb-homepage.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I like the idea of having different portals but I can foresee some of these pages being better maintained due to how much time the volunteers have to dedicate to it. I know that when I login I automatically go to New Posts and then to All, so that I see everything at once. What I decide to read really depends on my mood and how much time I have to read, so this is the quickest way for me. I do love how the Chalk Bucket has grown and I have learned SO MUCH about gymnastics from being a member here. It really has helped me and my dd's first year of gymnastics, so THANK YOU!!!

I like the home page and use it a lot. one thing you could do to make it better would be to show more new posts on the homepage. I also use that section a lot, but i think it would be useful to have more posted on there. Now that there are a lot more members on here, and we are still growing, only showing the 5 most recent posts doesn't cover all of them since my last visit. I think that a lot more threads would be viewed if the homepage showed more of them. Just my input.
The new idea looks ok too, but if you do it, i think you should still have the most recent posts like there is now, because i use that all the time.
:)

I like the home page and use it a lot. one thing you could do to make it better would be to show more new posts on the homepage. I also use that section a lot, but i think it would be useful to have more posted on there. Now that there are a lot more members on here, and we are still growing, only showing the 5 most recent posts doesn't cover all of them since my last visit. I think that a lot more threads would be viewed if the homepage showed more of them. Just my input.
The new idea looks ok too, but if you do it, i think you should still have the most recent posts like there is now, because i use that all the time.
:)

OK...I raised the amount of new posts on the homepage to 10.

I am a coach and parent and fan. I always go straight to New Posts for all areas. It is the only thing I look at.

O.K... I just lost everything I just wrote!!!

What I had said was that I always use the "new posts" feature. My only criticism would be to move the gymnasticscoaching (or whatever it's called) and all the college feed posts to their own separate folder?? Usually I'm interested in the "personal" posts, not the automated ones, and it's time consuming to scroll through all of that.

Also, I use Facebook as a personal website, and although I enjoy it, I can see that being overrun w/all kinds of miscellaneous notifications, etc. I think that would become more awkward to get through. Especially with the number of users on here now.

Just my two-cents worth!

O.K... I just lost everything I just wrote!!!

What I had said was that I always use the "new posts" feature. My only criticism would be to move the gymnasticscoaching (or whatever it's called) and all the college feed posts to their own separate folder?? Usually I'm interested in the "personal" posts, not the automated ones, and it's time consuming to scroll through all of that.

Also, I use Facebook as a personal website, and although I enjoy it, I can see that being overrun w/all kinds of miscellaneous notifications, etc. I think that would become more awkward to get through. Especially with the number of users on here now.

Just my two-cents worth!

Hey Lynn, TO get what you want...click on the new posts then go down the menu to "new posts no RSS", that will bring up just what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

That home page looks pretty bland. I just bookmarked the forums, so I don't really even go to the home page?
BTW, what happened to the wiki?

Hey Lynn, TO get what you want...click on the new posts then go down the menu to "new posts no RSS", that will bring up just what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Yahoo - that will help me too. Thanks!!

Sure...Facebook is just a way to extend what we have going here. However, the Facebook page for The Chalk Bucket allows me to quickly send out updates to all the fans of The Chalk Bucket.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back