how much to charge?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Hi all.
I am just doing a bit of research and wondered if you would help me?
If you wouldn't mind answering the questions below, that would help greatly. If there are any you rather wouldn't answer or can't answer don't worry about it. Any information is appreciated!

For club owners

- How much do you charge per hour for recreational gymnasts?
- How much do you charge per hour for Team gymnasts?
- How much per month are your top gymnasts paying?
- Do you think £300 ($444) per month is too much/too little to charge for gymnasts training 25 hours per week
- What is your gymnast to coach ratio? And do you pay your coaches?

For parents

- How much do you pay per hour?
- Do you think you get value for money or does it seem very expensive?
- Do you think that £300 ($444) per month is too much to charge a gymnast training 25 hours per week?

Many thanks!
Marie

I can't tell you our exact fee's as that is private information. But I can tell you the average around here for most gyms in the area.

In most clubs around here recreations gymnasts pay around $12-$15 per hour if they are training say once a week.

Rec gymnasts with a more intense schedule, say training 3-4 hours a week would look more like $8-$10 per hour.

For team gymnasts it would vary greatly depending on the number of hours they train. If they are doing say $10 hours a week or less then about $6-$7 an hour would be average.

For those doing more like 12-18 hours a week, around $5 is the norm. If they are doing 20 or more hours a week about $3 per hour.

So on average all competitiove gymnasts would look at about $250-$300 per month.

I don't think 300 pounds is an unreasonable about of money for a gymnast training 25 hours a week at all. That is very fair. But the question is always not if it is fair, it is if the parents will be willing to pay that.

Average gymnast to coach ratio is about 8:1 in higher competitive levels. 12:1 in more recreational classes.

Yes, coaches are always paid.

We pay about $5 and hour for team training, so your 300 GBP seems right on there. Yes we get good value for money, though I know parents have reduced hours or removed their child as money is tight. It is about whether parents can afford it.

We pay a little more than big city clubs, but everything is more expensive when you live in the country.

Ratio is 8:1, sometimes a few more in the older groups for team. In rec the same except for the tinies and they are in really small groups for safety reasons.

Thanks both for your replies! Seems I am on the right track then - but yes I totally agree, it all depends on whether parents are willing or even able to pay that amount.

Along the gymnast to coach ratio lines - how many gymnasts are roughly training in the gym at any one time?
Again, this will obviously vary, depending on size of the gym, but just average numbers will do. Currently our smallest class has 16 gymnasts and our largest has 36. As our gym is pretty small, it's a bit cramped! And we still have a big long waiting list!

Do you think that £300 ($444) per month is too much to charge a gymnast training 25 hours per week?
Marie

Far too much! We used to pay £90 - £95 for 20 hours at a top club (Olympic level). I really don't know anybody that would pay that much.

Far too much! We used to pay £90 - £95 for 20 hours at a top club (Olympic level). I really don't know anybody that would pay that much.

wow, that's, what, £1.18 per hour? Do they pay their coaches too? and rent? if so, how do they make their money? Do they have a huge recreational base that subsidises the competitive kids?

I would be happy to pay to pay £300 a month providing my daughter had highly qualified, consistent and organised coaching. I think alot of parents would say it is too much in England (definitely in the north where I live). I think people underestimate how much they spend on different hobbies, dvds, video games, clothes etc. I would rather spend it on one sport.

team costs

Hi,
Have you ever read any of Jeff Metzer's articles in Technique magazine? He reecently wrote about calulating ALL costs when determining team prices: Coaches salary, (w/ insurance & other benefits), costs to run facility (insurance, heat, equip maintenance, etc), costs to keep front desk staffed later, and more, though I forget them all right now.

Basically the article stated that most gyms think they are "breaking even" when it comes to team costs b/c the only factor in coaches salaries, but really the "hidden costs" (insurance, heat, etc) are not factored in oiften enough, so the gym is losing $!

The article was in a recent issue- definitely in the last year- and I believe can be found online at usa-gymnastics.org under the publications link.

Hope this helps.

Some loose ratios I have seen is rec should be run at 80 percent goes towards the gym and 20 to the coach. 50/50 for team. I've heard of other numbers but haven't got a lot of feedback when I sent out my emails on it. I think I need to see about emailing Jeff.

wow, that's, what, £1.18 per hour? Do they pay their coaches too? and rent? if so, how do they make their money? Do they have a huge recreational base that subsidises the competitive kids?

Yes, in all the 3 gyms that I have been involved in, the rec groups are large. Coaches are paid.

Competition fees are in addition to the basic tuition fees and are paid when the gymnast is entered into a particular competition. Sometimes there are camps during the holidays which are separately charged.

The competition groups are also the "advertising" ie gets the gym name in the newspapers, used for displays etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back