Coaches Tumbling for Cheerleaders

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have just started coaching tumbling for a group of cheerleader's. I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to keep them interested in the "gymnastics" part of they're training...they are some what difficult to work with....the cheer coach would like them to be clean and tight....and the cheerleaders don't seem to think they need any work at all....We are currently working on standing back handspring and roundoff backhandspring....Thanks!

What are the ages of the students you're working with? Depending on the ages, I would suggest making up some sort of challenge for them to complete while practicing.

Example: Backhandspring drill champion of the night
Have the students line up and demonstrate the drill one at a time. Judge to yourself how each one has completed the drill. Then, pick the top three girls and name the winner the "backhandspring drill champion of the night."

I've found that students are willing to try harder if they realize that they are being judged or if it's a competition. After doing these sorts of activities I usually try to incorporate that it is important for them to try as hard as they do when it's challenge time every time they do a skill.

Cheerleaders are such a waste of gym space.

My suggestion is to do the best that you can in terms of teaching technique. But, at the end of the day...keep them happy and take their money. Quite honestly, that's their true purpose in the gym world...money. If it weren't for the almighty dollar, I guarantee that most gymnastics-focused facilities would not offer a cheer program.

My suggestion is to do the best that you can in terms of teaching technique. But, at the end of the day...keep them happy and take their money. Quite honestly, that's their true purpose in the gym world...money. If it weren't for the almighty dollar, I guarantee that most gymnastics-focused facilities would not offer a cheer program.

Ouch. That was a bit harsh.

If somebody comes in and wants to learn to tumble, they're welcome to learn as far as I'm concerned, regardless of their background. As long as a kid is having fun and learning, I really don't care if they're gymnasts, martial artists, cheerleaders, skaters, or what.

If they're draging their feet, then yes, it's a waste of gym space and coach time, but this is equally true of real gymnasts who don't put forth the full effort.

That said, cheerleader tumbling is pretty ugly most of the time, and can be a real pain to fix.

Thanks Everybody...

Everyone's replies were helpful and thanks! The girls I am working with range in age from 7 yrs to 14 yrs old...the little one's being quite receptive the older one's not so....Myself working with competitve atlhletes on a regular basis finding form very important, find this very frustrating as their form is very lacking and have to start back at squre one and the girl's seem to find no need in doing so....

Hi,
Since you seem to be frustrated with the older girls, I would start with a conversation with them. They are there for a reason right? Then they need to be told the are not the almighty tumblers the think they are. I found in our gym, when the coaches are having trouble with the older girls not wanting to comit to a drill the coaches will bring in a young team gymnast with great form to show off. It seems to really inspire a 14 yr old when a 5 year old can do a beautiful rbhs. Then the coach tells them if they want to tumble like that this is how you get there, and if you don't want to tumble like that why are you here. It gives them a whole new respect for what the coach is able to teach. It sounds a little harsh but it usually drives the point home, which isn't always easy with any teenager. Good Luck.:eek:

That's also another good idea...and I can probably bring in one of our pre-provincial athletes to demonstrate....thanks again!

Our gym coaches seem to feel the same way about cheerleaders as Acoach78 does... perhaps some coaches have had some bad experiences or perhaps they realize how dangerous cheer can be - possibly even more dangerous then gymnastics - but without the conditioning it takes for the acro part. There are some great cheer programs where they require the proper conditioning, but the majority are not and I have seen first hand how downright lazy the older cheerleaders can get and they are usually the base support in building, probably the reason why I witnessed 2 falls that resulted in broken noses last year watching the cheer program in our gym. Staying tight and clean does not just look better but it is required to maintain at least some safety... coach lin first and foremost as a coach you will have to demand the respect required to teach these girls - you may have to be tougher on them but it is only for their own good. I would actually limit the amount of "games" played... it should be fun, but once they get serious and advance in their tecnique that can make gym "fun" all by itself. Good luck, it sounds like you have your work cut out for you - nic

I was a cheerleader for three years and I know for a fact that one thing will work. if the moves are sloppy, video tape them and have the girls watch it. Once they see how bad it looks, they will definitely want to work to fix it. When a pyramid/stunt looked bad, our coach would take a picture on her phone. When we saw that it looked like crap, we immediately changed it. Other people will at some point be watching them, and cheerleaders love looking good in front of a crowd.

Also having a younger girl is an awesome idea. That always gets me fired up!

Also having a younger girl is an awesome idea. That always gets me fired up!

This may work for some of the older girls, but it also puts more pressure on the younger ones - especially if they are on the same team... unfortunately mine has been in this position before and while it may make the little one feel great at the moment it can sometimes lead the parents to compare their kids as well as the gymnast themselves, leading to some serious issues - and there does not seem to be any healthy about comparing, everyone is different... I guess in my own mind, I assume that kids are working out of their own desire. Mine goes to the gym because she loves it... if they show a lack of desire, it would automatically lead me to believe they are not where they want to be. They have to find the will to succeed within themselves. I think the idea of a snapshot or video taping & showing them how they look is a great idea, that would put a fire under me :) ... they may just think they are doing it exactly how they are supposed to... just my opinion...

Last edited:
You might also want to sit down with the cheer coach and discuss the problems you're having. Sounds like it was the cheer coach's idea to get some tumbling help, but if it turns into a battle with the older girls then everyone is wasting their time. Maybe ask the cheer coach to be there at their next tumbling practice to watch and then have a heart to heart with all the girls about how they are behaving. At some point if things don't improve, then it may be time to just offer this class to girls you've identified as being open to working on their tumbling or call the whole thing off.

I certainly like the idea of the video AND a younger gymnast. May just light a fire under them!!

I am working with the girls again on wednesday so i'll let you know how it goes! I think sowing them how THEY look would be an asset...as cheerleaders don't like to look bad in front of a crowd....as to conditioning, i know they used to do a LITTLE bit but know the have a full conditioning program that i have designed for them to do and to continue during they're competitve season - hopefully the cheer coach will make them stick to it when I'm not around:)

It went better...

So my next session with my cheerleaders went much better...They're coach and I sat down with them and discussed what they wanted to get out of the sessions,and what I wanted them to get out of the sessions. It made THEM feel important because I was asking for their feedback. Much smoother training session after that! Thanks Everyone!

:eek:

What is your problem? Cheerleaders are a waste of gym space? Just take their money? I hope you are not a coach. I would never take my kid to you. Its your fault if they have bad technique. Your supposed to be teaching them. I've been in all-star cheerleading and gymnastics, and the cheerleaders have been more athletic. Just because they aren't trained exactly the same doesn't mean they are worthless. Gymnastics is about being pointed and cheerleading is about power. Thats like if you judged a basketball player as a baseball player. Of course the skill aren't the same, but they both run and score.

Cheerleaders

I have to agree with a few of the other posters that the cheerleaders have a totally different attitude than gymnasts. Our gym got rid of the cheer program because the head gym coach did not want the cheerleaders' bad attitudes infecting the gymnasts. They had no idea how to behave in a gym and were very distracting. However, it was entertaining to watch the level 10 gymnasts at their events learning the cheer routines while they waited their turn. One day the cheer coach was so upset with the cheer girls that she brought the level 10 team over to do the dance and tumbling routine the cheerleaders had been working on for weeks without success. The gym girls did the routine almost perfectly. My daughter who was a level 10 at the time stated the difference between the two sports - she said that she wanted the boys cheering for her, she did not want to be cheering for the boys.

With time there will be no more gymnastics-focused facilities. Becoming a CAC or CLOC is much more appealing to true professionals.

I hope in jest. I see so few gyms that make a go of the cheerleading. In our gym the two sports never meshed. The gymnasts resented the lacadasical girly girl attitudes of the cheeleaders and the space they took up, and the cheerleaders resented the superior athletic ability of the gymnasts and their place at the top of the gym pecking order. Other than the rudimentary tumbling that cheerleaders do, gymnastics and cheerleading are two totally unrelated activities (I don't buy cheerleading as a sport) and, in my opinion, are best kept separate. There are many successful cheerleading clubs that do a great job with these girls and that is where they should go.

I'm confused... was this comment made in jest or in all seriousness? And what is "CAC" or "CLOC"? :confused:
-Lynn

C.A.C. - Children's Activity Center

C.L.O.C. - Children's Learning Opportunity Center

Two examples of CLOC's:

Jeff Metzger's Gym (http://www.kidsfirstsports.com)
Frank Sahlein's Gym (http://www.wingscenter.com)

Very serious....gymnastics is a gateway sport....good training for anything and everything. When they leave gymnastics, I'd rather have them doing anything and everything in my facility.

Good Point

You have a good point as so few girlsl ever make it through to level 10 or college. I guess it makes business sense from your standpoint so long as you have systems in place to handle the differences and conflicts. I just haven't heard of too many gyms that have made it work. It certainly didn't at our gym. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back