Suggestions please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok last night at gym they had the gal who is going to choreograph the beam routines in (she is different than the floor girl). Well they spent a lot of time on beam last night each one learning their mount for their beam routine.

Well DD has her full turn near the beginning - the rest of the routine will be done starting in July.

Well all that practice on the turns on beam and the turn on her floor routine has given her a fairly large blister on the ball of her foot. It's hard to describe as its not a blister in the usually sense. The skin is bumped out but I don't think its something you can "pop". the "bubble" is more like a swollen spot on the ball of her foot. I don't like to pop blisters anyway.

She says it's like walking on a bubble and although it doesn't hurt right now it feel strange to her. now she is walking on the side of her foot trying not to step on the bubble. I asked her if it hurt again and she said no just feels weird. I told her to walk on it regular because she will end up with an ankle issue if she continues to walk on it like she was (just got over an ankle issue with other foot this past season - don't want to go there)

Anyway She has practice tomorrow night, Friday and Saturday and I was wondering what she could do to help her foot so she can work on her routines? Would taping the ball of her foot help prevent further inflaming this? I know she wants something done even if it really doesn't help if she thinks it will she will feel better.

Suggestions?

It's probably just loose skin, and if you really want to, you can just take some fingernail clippers and cut it off. It's probably more or less no different then when your skin peels for various different reasons(I had that happen one summer walking barefoot on pavement for a whole day-the skin peeled off easily). Then just keep lotion on the foot so the skin doesn't peel to any sensitive areas of her foot.

She could have an inflamamation of the area rather than a blister, she is better to stay of it until it feels better or get the dr to look at it. The usual will help rest, ice and as you say if she is compensating by walking differently she could damge something else. Bursitis etc is quite nasty though can clear up quickly if treated kindly.

Sounds painful!

It's probably just loose skin, and if you really want to, you can just take some fingernail clippers and cut it off. It's probably more or less no different then when your skin peels for various different reasons(I had that happen one summer walking barefoot on pavement for a whole day-the skin peeled off easily). Then just keep lotion on the foot so the skin doesn't peel to any sensitive areas of her foot.

There is no skin peeling so there is nothing to cut off.
Its more like its swollen like a very think blister.

She could have an inflamamation of the area rather than a blister, she is better to stay of it until it feels better or get the dr to look at it. The usual will help rest, ice and as you say if she is compensating by walking differently she could damge something else. Bursitis etc is quite nasty though can clear up quickly if treated kindly.

Sounds painful!

She says its not painful just feels weird.

LOL keeping a gymnast off her feet would be a miracle LOL
but you know I will try.

I figured I'd give it until the weekend and see if she is still complaining about before the DR is involved.

Do you think taping the ball of her foot would help?

Taping can't hurt it, it can help reduce imflammation along with the ice and rest and even the good old ibuprofen. Glad it doesn't hurt, try to encourage her to walk correctly, see how she does at gym, hopefully she can avoid full truns for a few days!

If it is what I am thinking of, it wouldn't peel, it is just a big bubble, skin that has rubbed loose off of itself, which is why you would have to actually cut into it to get rid of it. Obviously without seeing it though....... :p Hope it clears up

If it is what I am thinking of, it wouldn't peel, it is just a big bubble, skin that has rubbed loose off of itself, which is why you would have to actually cut into it to get rid of it. Obviously without seeing it though....... :p Hope it clears up

Thanks. I think if there is going to be any type of cutting that the DR is going to have to do that one.;)

It could also be a plantars wart - which grows into the foot, but the top could kinda look like a thick blister. They don't always hurt - but sometimes do. You pretty much need a podiatrist to get rid of it.

I'd soak it and ice it a little. I've never really seen this issue before from full turns, so it's possible that it's something else she inflamed (I'm also sure it's possible, it's just that the skin of the feet is fairly tough compared to friction from turning on beam). When not icing or soaking, I would try to keep it dry and covered, perhaps with a small pad taped over it so she feels more comfortable walking normally. I agree walking on the side of the foot is not a good idea.

I got a blister on the middle of my foot because there is a bump in my tennis shoes and i didn't figure that out until too late. If you put 2 fingers together and wrap prewrap around them a few times, then roll them off your fingers it should make a ring. You can tape that around the blister as a donut cushion so you aren't walking directly on it. If it doen't hurt though, I don't know if this will make a difference.

It could also be a plantars wart - which grows into the foot, but the top could kinda look like a thick blister. They don't always hurt - but sometimes do. You pretty much need a podiatrist to get rid of it.

She and brother have had that before so i know what they are like. Its not a wart. It definitkly is something from last night.

Sounds painful!

I agree wholeheartedly with Bog!!!

Update

Ok checked the foot Wed before practice and its Blisters - they finally showed up looking like blisters. There are 3 of them close to each other. It's like they were deep and are now just coming to the surface. They still don't hurt. Looks like her feet will be as rough and messed up as her hands are LOL. I guess sandpaper hands and feet go with this sport.

We put moleskin over the affected area and it worked just fine to protect the area during practice.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back