I need your opinion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I plan on removing the videos from my youtube page in two weeks. Initially, I posted these videos for friends and family strewn across the globe, unable to make it to the girls' competition. I also felt the videos might somehow inspire younger gymnasts to understand you don't have to have a perfect meet everytime out to be a successful gymnast. And since Crystal started competing when she was 12, older gymnasts could be encouraged to try their best inspite of their percieved limitations. Some other anonymous people on the internet view it in a different light. It saddens me to see some of the things people have posted about my children and my spouse. Should I give in and remove the videos or keep them up? I know my family enjoys watching the videos, do they make a difference at all? I love my family and hate to see them get hurt. Please let me know what you think.

Is there a way to not allow comments?

Also one of the dad's here on CB uses a different site to post videos. Would something like that work?

Barb

You are able to disable comments and even make video's private so only friends can see them. If you don't like the negative comments, don’t make your video's public. I believe you probably receive more negativity than deserved as your daughters coaches have a bad reputation/history in the gymnastics community.

In regards to the above post, evey gymnast recieves negative comments. Best not to read message boards, because there will always be something you wont want to see.

Last edited:
Thank you pineapple :) The videos will not be public soon. I have known the coaches for years now and know that they 1) care for the girls and 2) do a great job getting them ready for the season. I prefer to keep the merits/detractions of the coaches out of this thread though.

Wow! I'm so sorry that there are a few idiots that are ruining what this is supposed to be about....supporting and encourging gymnasts and their families. I have really enjoyed watching your videos of the family and hope that you can find a way to work out the problem.

If the problem is posting on youtube, you can set the account to 1. allow no comments, 2. allow comments only after approval, 3. make it private and viewable by only up to around 20 invited friends. If the problem is here on CB. I would send those few a private message asking that they refrain from posting on your videos, or not post them on here.

I hope that everything works for the best. I know that my family really enjoys watching my dd on the youtube also. It's the only way to let everyone who wants to watch do so without making everyone at the family gatherings watch the entire season's worth of meets at 1 sit down, lol.

We will miss Lizzy and Crystal's videos if you take them down, but I understand your reasoning for doing it. I would make them private, as suggested, and only let your family/close friends see them. Then you don't have to delete all your videos and upload them again, which takes so long on YouTube. LOL. I am pretty sure there is a way to do that and do only allow certain people to see the videos.

Personally, I probably wouldn't take them down if they were mine. I am not too concerned with what others think or how they perceive me. I know my intentions and no one has a right to judge me. If someone has a problem with what I do, that's their problem, not mine. ;)

I have enjoyed them and so has my daughter, who is always inspired to work harder when she sees gymnastics videos on YouTube. I actually sent your link to one of Abby's teammates who started gymnastics at the ripe old age of 11 so she could see Crystal in action. She is an inspiration, both of your daughters are. Sadly, some people can't mind their own business and keep their opinions to themselves.

Good luck on your decision. I know that my daughter has been inspired by Lizzy and Crystal's videos and that my friend's daughter was as well. Whatever you decide, know that their videos inspired lots of gymnasts everywhere!! :)

Thank you, and welcome to CB by the way.

Maybe. Nothing negative is said on the youtube page though

If the negative comments aren't coming from youtube, where are they coming from? Is it somewhere you can control (shut down)?

I think you should leave them public but disable comments. I don't have a youtube page and I know my kids would like me to put up their videos. I may do it some day, but I would definitely disable the comment. Many videos get mean comments posted by people who are just looking to stir up trouble.

Thank you, and welcome to CB by the way.

If the negative comments aren't coming from youtube, where are they coming from? Is it somewhere you can control (shut down)?

You can't just shut down another site (message board) because someone posts something you don't like (true or false). You need to take everything with a grain of salt as these are everyday people expressing their opinions. It's not fair, but neither is Life.

Unfortunately the all good comments come with a few bad. I think mariposa has the right attitude to dealing with negative posts, otherwise ignorance is bliss if find yourself upset by these comments. Or imagine that the comments are coming from a 50 something, 400 pound person who hasn't touched a beam in their life :)

I understand that it must be very hard to read some of what is being said. I did not mean to tie the coaches in, as I certainly have no authority to comment on their ability (I hope you didn't think my earlier post was an attack on the coaches) just offering a potential reason for some of the attacks. I am sure as a parent you are looking out for the best interests of your children. That’s all that should matter to you, not some stranger’s words on a computer screen.

Welcome Lizzy and Crystal's mum. I love your videos, the girls are an inspiration. My dd loves to watch them. From a selfish point of view I would leave them up but not allow comments. You wouldn't believe how many children in the UK are using puppet on a string now. I'm sure some of that is due to Lizzy's gorgeous routine.

I think one of your problems might be that Lizzy is now such a high level gymnast videos of her in competition will appear on the internet now anyway from other spectators. You obviously have no control over comments made on these videos.

Unfortunately you also have no control over comments made on (other) forums about your family and coaches. It is very horrible sometimes - I have seen some of them. The worst comments I have seen about coaches/ clubs though have been about Parkettes. We have a least 2 families on this forum who go to Parkettes. I often wonder how they feel about the terrible things said. Sadly I don't think removing the videos will stop the discussions about Lizzy on (other) forums. She is now too well known and successful. As soon as gymnasts start getting to the hopes/ elite level their merits and weaknesses are discussed and dissected by the hard core gym fans. I'm sure they just love gym so much and want perfection but sometimes forget that these are children and young adults doing their best at the end of the day.

I think you have to make a decision either to not read the forums (but be prepared for people telling you what is on them anyway) or read them and harden up to the nasty things. Unfortunately they come with being under the spotlight. Just remember that Lizzy and Chrystal are gorgeous gymnasts and most people love to see them. Most people do not think or say horrible things about your family or coaches as really no one knows them but you!

Lastly congratulations to Lizzy for winning JO. I have been looking for her routines on youtube but now I understand why you have not put them up. Good luck to the girls their gymnastics is really lovely!

I know I will be saddened not to see any new videos of Lizzy and Crystal! I agree with what everyone else has said here as well. Katy has a youtube page. I put it up for the same reasons you posted your own daughter's videos. Family is just too far away to see her w/o Youtube. We have also had some meanspirited comments posted. I just delete them before Katy has a chance to see them. I keep meaning to go back and disable the comments, but just keep forgetting to do that!!!! She, also, started competing at age 12 and has had some difficulty as she moves up.

. . . but, Katy and I WERE wondering why nothing new had been posted about Lizzie... especially now that she's one JO Nationals!!!!

She is so widely known now and you will have to be facing people's negative comments (whomever and wherever they may be ). Some people are just so ready to bring other people down. That's just too bad.

We will miss Lizzie and Crystal's videos. (I'm stilll hoping you may change your mind?!?)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Some times it is not just the comments that are the issue. People can take your video from youtube and keep it for whatever purpose they choose, we have to remember that there are many people looking at our kids for reasons other than gym.

I put my videos up for a few weeks and I do not tag them or identify them as gymnastics so they do not pop up when you search gymnastics. I have a few subscribers, so they know when they are there. Then I delete them when the grandparents in the UK have seen them.

The most important thing is to feel that you are protecting your children the way you feel is right. We all love watching Lizzy and Crystal, and the babies too, but along with that youtube fame comes a price.

Last edited:
It's easy to be snarky when you are hiding behind a screen name. Doesn't make it right, of course, but it's never going to stop. People will always try to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

I don't post public videos of my kids because I just don't know who is out there doing what with them. I do have a YouTube account, but it is set to private and only viewable by the family members I've approved.

After reading the other replies though, I want to see yours!!!

I'm sorry to hear you have had negative comments and I know it can be hurtful to read when there are fools out there that do that, but honestly I don't care what other people think and I don't change what I want to do because some fool decided to put some hurtful note on a computer web page.

Unfortunately there are alot of folks out there that think the hours and dedication our children put in for this sport is not right and that we the parents are some how bad parents for allowing our children to miss out on their childhood. I've heard that and more when the non gymnastic folks hear what my DD does and how many hours etc

If you don't want to see the comments I would just turn off the comments but leave the videos public. One of your reasons for posting them was to inspire other gymnasts - why have that reason change because of some stupid ignorant people.

Heck my own mom is one of the nay sayers and doesn't understand how we allow our children to be so involved in one activity. When my son was injured and had to quit her response was "It's about time he quit. It takes up all of his free time. When is DD going to quit?" Now don't get me wrong she loves to see the videos of the kids doing their meets etc and is excited for them when they win but she doesn't understand the hours and hours they need to spend doing this. She thinks once a week for an hour is enough.

Oh Cher... aren't your comments just so "right on?!" Other parents do think we're crazy for putting in the time/money for this sport. We all have to just ignore all the naysayers and allow our DD's to enjoy this sport to the best of their abilities!!

Eufricon... she is so right. The videos are such an inspiration to all the budding gymnasts... both young and old. I do hope you read all of these comments and that we can convince you to continue to post those videos!! It would be such a shame for the girls who are really back here in the "shadows" cheering on both of your daughters if they can no longer watch your talented girls!

Now I know why I haven't found any vids from the JO Nationals of Lizzy!
I would hate to not be able to follow Lizzy and Crystal any more, but you need to do what you have to in order to protect them!
Good luck with your decision

but along with that youtube fame comes a price.

I think this is the most important statement of this thread.

I also put up videos for family and friends far away, but will admit to enjoying other people noticing the videos of my dd. We all love showing our kids off. It makes us proud parents. However, I try to keep my youtube profile low key because of privacy issues and the possibility of negative attention from too much exposure.
I have toyed with closing comments and with making my site private, but have not taken that step yet. I subscribe to very few channels - and they mostly personal friends I know in real life, not just over the computer. I write very few comments and only answer a few comments made on my videos. I also scutinze all subscribers to my channel, though I know this is superficial because people can create whatever they like on the internet about themselves. I have not linked my youtube channel to any chat groups, even here.
Eufricon - on my adventures surfing youtube gymnastics videos I've noticed that you have quite a large youtube presence. Your dds are both talented. They and your videos have attracted much attention - good and bad. At the levels Lizze is going to you won't have much control anymore about who is taping her at events and posting them, or what comments get made about them. Radical fans and critics of gymnastics makes this unforgiving sport even tougher on our young girls - especially when they are trying to achieve the highest levels. Try to keep a positive outlook and shield yourself and you dd from most of what goes on on the boards and youtube. Perhaps you are right about taking them down. Now might be a time to step back and decide what you really want from posting your videos. While many people would miss them, yours and your families comfort is more important.

Sorry this is long winded and I hope I have not overstepped any boundries. Best of luck with whatever you decide - and for your dds futures in gymnastics.

Personally I think you are really blowing the situation way out of proportion! I looked at several of your videos and for every like 50 great comments you got like one so like "I can do better than her." and for every like 100 comments you got a really negative response. You do have the option to close it off to comments; you could always go that route. But if you choose to allow comments you have to know the good is always going to come with the bad.

Aerialriver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back