Ballett requirement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not at my gym. It depends what club you belong to, though. One hour a week sounds like a good supplement, though.

It's part of my DD's gym program. They have a ballet instructor come once a week to give the girls a "ballet for gymnatics" class.

Our gym starts adding ballet to the practice schedule once the girls are in the pre-team program. So every girl on team and pre-team gets 1 hour/week of ballet. Our previous gym that has trained girls up through elite does not have any formal dance instruction and when I did ask my gymmie's coach there about having her take a ballet class, the reply was, "it will only mess her up."

Not all gyms will require it. Mainly because they dont have the appropriate teachers to teach it or because they dont have enough hours to include it. But it is an excellent supplement to their gymnastics training. Ballet is a huge part of their floor and beam routines. Thise with dance training have a distinct advantage.

My gym doesn't require the gymnasts to do it. Another gym in my area does. They go to a dance studio as a team once a week, and that is the first part of their practice (they go to the gym after). They seem to have better floor routines then the girls at my gym.

Ballet is not a requirement, but it is very helpful.

I was a dancer turned gymnasts and my coaches were always impressed with my leaps, turns, jumps, and body alignment.

Where I coach now, pre-team girls have 30 min of ballet a week, and that increases to about an hour or and hour and a half as they move up in the levels. It seems to really help.

We have a half hour on Wednesdays at the gym. I also get about 3 hours a week at school, plus 3 hours of jazz. Both of them have helped my gymnastics immensely! :)

Ballet is not a requirement, but it is very helpful.

I was a dancer turned gymnasts and my coaches were always impressed with my leaps, turns, jumps, and body alignment.

Where I coach now, pre-team girls have 30 min of ballet a week, and that increases to about an hour or and hour and a half as they move up in the levels. It seems to really help.

I can see where and why it would help. In ballett the moves are so perfect and applying that to the gym must work really well for the girls.

DD takes ballet once a week at the gym. She enjoys it and I think it will help her with her gracefulness. :)

My DD is taught ballet like moves (mostly barre work) and arm/hand movements by her coach. This is necessary as there is an artistry element in floor and beam scores here (we use FIG scoring system for all levels). Ballet is an art form and this is artistic gymnastics so they have a lot of cross over. A gymnast with good artistry is a joy to watch!

Is it required for your gymnasts to take ballett?

My daughter takes it with her team once a week for an hour.

Not as a separate program. One of the coaches use to be a dance teacher so its done with the regular practice. they have a ballet bar set at one of the many walls with mirrors.

If they required it I would have to change gyms as I don't think I could afford another thing to be added.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back