Wrapping Foot?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
My DD (7yo) stepped on a nail and riped the bottom of her foot. it's right on the ball of her foot right under her toes - really bad spot.

Thankfully she's not back in the gym until Monday night

I think I'm going to have to wrap it. A bandaide isn't going to stay on.

What should I use?

I tried the medical tape I had in the first aide kit but that's not staying - or it might be I'm clueless and doing it wrong

any advice or words of wisdom?

I should add it's not bothering her at all - but it's a open gash

actually looks like a rip

Bandaid and then wrap it with tape. Foam pre-wrap can help the tape stick without clinging awkwardly to her foot.

You'll want to use an athletic tape. It's usually thicker and more cloth-like than the tape that comes in a general first aid kid. You can get it at any drug store, and I'd suggest whichever feels most like cloth.

If you can't get it to work, her coaches should be able to tape it for her.

Her tetanus is up to date---right? Sorry thats the RN in me. Make sure you keep it clean and apply some antibiotic ointment this weekend. Also I would try and keep it wrapped even when she's not in the gym to help it heal.

Fuzi is right on. You can use pre-wrap and athletic tape or just the tape over a couple of bandaids. Send some extra tape with her to practice in case the tape already on gets loose. Make sure her coaches know why her foot is taped. If you can't get the tape to stay on this weekend, then ask one of her coaches to wrap it. They can usually do a really good job.

My DD (7yo) stepped on a nail and riped the bottom of her foot. it's right on the ball of her foot right under her toes - really bad spot.

Thankfully she's not back in the gym until Monday night

I think I'm going to have to wrap it. A bandaide isn't going to stay on.

What should I use?

I tried the medical tape I had in the first aide kit but that's not staying - or it might be I'm clueless and doing it wrong

any advice or words of wisdom?

I should add it's not bothering her at all - but it's a open gash

actually looks like a rip

My DD recently had 2 blisters on the bottom of her foot and we tried tape first and that just didn't do it we ended up purchasing something called "Dance Paws" That did the trick. We could put a bandage over the blister then the dance paws over that and she could do the gymnastics with out issues and no tape falling off every 5 min. Now that she has them she wants to use them for the beam when she competes to keep from getting another blister and the chairperson for the region said they were acceptable to wear.

here is what they look like. You can get them at any dance store usually. We paid $30 for them and they were worth every penny. And now she has them for any other foot issue that comes up

Thanks! Great information and wonderful ideas!

Yes, her tetanus shot is up to date. It's a school requirement. That was my first thought as well.

I thought about getting paws, my older daughter needs them for lyrical. Not a bad idea, and they're 20$ by me. I was going to run to the dance store before the gym Monday anyway . . . her feet do seem to take a beating

thankfully it's not the foot she turns on and it doesn't hurt when she walks, runs, jumps or tumbles (and she does all of the above non stop all day)

we've been soaking it every night since we can't seem to keep it clean or covered (she's really a barefoot kind of kid and it's been very difficult to keep shoes or even socks on her feet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back