Re-Starting Gymnastics at 18!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey there!

I'm 18 years old and I live in England. I did gymnastics as a child, from about ages 9 to 13, then became a coach. I always felt I had some talent that was never really noticed, and if I had been pushed and encouraged a bit more I could have done well. I entered a regional competition when I was 10, my gym sent rec kids and everyone else sent pre-comp, but I still came second on vault! My proudest achievement ever, I just wish they had done event final medals :(

Well anyway, I have decided now that I want really badly to get back into doing gymnastics. I will be able to start in two months, becuase my university in England has gymnastics sessions four times a week for students, and also twice weekly trampolining (another sport I used to do and loved) so I will be doing it then. Meanwhile, I am doing daily stomach exercises and trying to stretch my splits and bridge as much as possible, though my hamstrings portest too much to do it every day!

I can still do a 20 degree oversplit on both right and left leg, and am about 5 degree off doing the box splits (soo frustrating) I have improved my bridge so that my shoulders ar over my hands and my legs are almost straight, though it isn't perfect yet and I can only kick over using a bench or wall - slightly odd, since I know plenty of people who can kick out of a far worse bridge than mine! I can hold a handstand for about 5 seconds and do a good roundoff though :)

So here I am, you will probably find me largely on the adult gymnastics forum searching desperately for tips to improve! I hope to be able to get good eventually and do things such as r/o bhs back tuck, giants, kips, handspring vaults, walkovers, backaways etc, though I know it will take a long time!

My favourite gymnast is Nastia Liukin, and I support team USA in gymnastics (because apart from Tweddle Britain are shameful)

xxx

which uni are u going to coz i live in england and im interested in unis that do gymnastics?

Any of the big city universities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield do it and many small campus universities sucha as Exeter and Durham as well. You can usually go on their websites and find out the info in the sports section!

Welcome! I am new here too .. but going back to gymnastics after being out is something I can relate to as well. I wish you the best of luck in going to university as well as going to gymnastics. Have fun!

i've just joined the community and about two weeks ago i decided to re-start gymnastics as well. I am also 18 and live in Uruguay, i've practised gymnastics since i was nine till i was twelve or so, but never really shined. I miss it too much and can't wait till it's wednesday when i start again, must say i'm quite scared, even ashamed, for the first time in my life i feel old :S
Good luck Sam :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back