DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Dani

Hi! I have a realy low pain tolerance!
Do you have any drills to gain pain
tolerance, or do I have to just
build it up slowly! Thanx for the help!

I certainly wouldn't reccomend any drills for increasing pain tolerance; as far as I can see the only way to do so would be to deliberately hurt yourself.

I'm not even positive it's something that you "build up" in the way you build strength or flexibility. I think it would be more accurate to compare it to maturity; that is, it happens over time, it happens when it happens, and there's very little that can be done to speed it up.

Of course, this is the opinion of somebody who knows nothing of the psychology or physiology involved, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I certainly wouldn't reccomend any drills for increasing pain tolerance; as far as I can see the only way to do so would be to deliberately hurt yourself.

I'm not even positive it's something that you "build up" in the way you build strength or flexibility. I think it would be more accurate to compare it to maturity; that is, it happens over time, it happens when it happens, and there's very little that can be done to speed it up.

Of course, this is the opinion of somebody who knows nothing of the psychology or physiology involved, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Thanx for the help anyway Im trying out
some drills that cause me to stretch
and have slight pull im hoping that will
tuffen me up! Because im a self
confessed whimp!

Hi! I have a realy low pain tolerance!
Do you have any drills to gain pain
tolerance, or do I have to just
build it up slowly! Thanx for the help!

This is kind of a scary thing to say. Why are you feeling pain? Are you doing too much in a short period of time? Maybe you should just relax a little and let it come. You seem very excited to be doing gymnastics and it may feel like you need to catch up, but it's not that kind of sport. Your enthusiasum will take you very far and you will be good because you will work hard, but if you push youself to hard right off the bat you could hurt youself and then be out of the gym for awhile and have to start over again. This sport isn't a sprint, it's a maraton. Each skill takes repetiton and baby steps. It's better to do a skill correct than to learn a skill quickly so you can move on to the next skill. And if you are doing skills correctly you should have very little pain.(Rips and bruises are normal, but pain you can't handle isn't)!

This is kind of a scary thing to say. Why are you feeling pain? Are you doing too much in a short period of time? Maybe you should just relax a little and let it come. You seem very excited to be doing gymnastics and it may feel like you need to catch up, but it's not that kind of sport. Your enthusiasum will take you very far and you will be good because you will work hard, but if you push youself to hard right off the bat you could hurt youself and then be out of the gym for awhile and have to start over again. This sport isn't a sprint, it's a maraton. Each skill takes repetiton and baby steps. It's better to do a skill correct than to learn a skill quickly so you can move on to the next skill. And if you are doing skills correctly you should have very little pain.(Rips and bruises are normal, but pain you can't handle isn't)!

Lol if I a bruise it feels like ive had my leg ripped
off im thinking about asking a doctor because
the pain is so bad! Im pracasting splits on
know the pull pain you get in your legs to me
it feels like my legs are getting yanked apard!
I say this again im a big fat whimp!

Lol if I a bruise it feels like ive had my leg ripped
off im thinking about asking a doctor because
the pain is so bad! Im pracasting splits on
know the pull pain you get in your legs to me
it feels like my legs are getting yanked apard!
I say this again im a big fat whimp!

Sorry I went all crazy mom on you! I just don't want to see anyone getting hurt because they push to hard. I see you are safe and am sorry about all the drama. That opening statement was a little scary for a mom to read.;););)

My advice, go a little slower. When doing your splits, go down a as far as you can, then go down a little further, hold for a count of 10. Do this everyday. Eventually it won't hurt. DO NOT try to go all the way down in one day, I guarantee you'll end up hurting yourself.

Sorry I went all crazy mom on you! I just don't want to see anyone getting hurt because they push to hard. I see you are safe and am sorry about all the drama. That opening statement was a little scary for a mom to read.;););)
I think I put it the wrong way
and seriously you didnt over
react! Your a Mum its your
instinct! Good mum-sences!

Take your time, like others have said, it will come in time. Also, try not thinking about the pain so much when it hurts. A friend of mine used to always say "the anticipation of pain is worse than pain itself," so if you try not to think that it'll be hurting, then maybe it won't hurt so much.

How people deal with pain is quite individualized. Some can have a headache that they say barely bothers them and to someone else it would be enough to have them in bed all day. Some things do effect the way we handle pain---lack of sleep, other emotional issues(stress etc), other medical conditions. I've never heard of being able to train yourself to tolerate higher levels of pain except with methods like biofeedback.

Going into gymnastics, you know it will cause sore muscles. You have to make the call if what you're feeling is just normal soreness from practice and some stretching or pain that forces you to completely stop. The routine sore muscles will go away in a few days and taking your conditioning slowly will allow you to practice even with a little soreness.

My daughter is 6 and on level 4. She has such a high tolerance for pain so I think it is different with each person. She needed staples in her head once (not gymnastics related!) but she didn't even cry when they did it. I have told my friends and her coach if she cries you need to call the ambulance because it will be serious.

My advice, go a little slower. When doing your splits, go down a as far as you can, then go down a little further, hold for a count of 10. Do this everyday. Eventually it won't hurt. DO NOT try to go all the way down in one day, I guarantee you'll end up hurting yourself.

good advice wrong amount of time. Holding a position during leg flexibility for anything under 45 seconds will do you 0 good.

Last edited:
I think pain tolerance is just something your born with. My youngest cries about every little bump while my oldest will hardly shed a tear for a broken collar bone. I worry more about the high pain tolerance because she could really injure herself and not know how badly shes injured and continue to use the injured part and cause more damage. While the youngest lets me know I can judge wether she's ok or not and if it's nothing, I tell her to suck it up :D

A bit of pain tolerance is simply case to case on a genetic level. Some people's bodies secrete more endorphins and/or different hormones that allow them to manage through discomfort. It all has to do with the chemical receptor sites.

A lot of pain tolerance can be built up through visualization and such technique. Hard training ala CrossFit is also a good way to build spirit and character. That's how I always figured it.

However, by no means would you want to ignore or not feel certain pain which your body is trying to send a message of " NO! "

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back