Marta on 2012 Olympic trials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I believe in recent history there has been a selection camp following trials(just like for the worlds team). Only the first place finisher at trials is guranteed a spot.

Interesting. I think it wil be wonderful for the girls to know well ahead of time. Let alone the girls families. Though I cannot imagine hwo any of them will get tickets to watch their girls, which is a terrible thing.

I can see how Marta doesn't like it, but I cannot understand why. She'll get over it eh?

From what I have read, there was an athlete 20+ years ago that was named to the US team, meeting her personal goal, and then slacked off in training. In this era, between the athletes and coaches I don't think it would happen. I'm sure that is what Marta is afraid will happen again.

However, I agree that naming the team at trials will be good for everyone. Hopefully the girls can have a few more soft landings, get some rest and be ready to peak again at the Olympics instead of trying to peak for several weeks in a row.

yes, in '08 the only spots guaranteed for the Olympic Team were the AA winner and runner up ( i think). Everyone else was 'invited back to The Ranch' to show Martha what they have. And in that instance, Shayla Worley (a favorite, or so I thought anyway) was injured during while trying to secure her spot on the Team (last day or so at The Ranch no less, I'm sure that was a bitter pill to swallow). She broke her leg and ended her chance for the '08 Olympics.

I agree with txgymfan - announcing the Team at the Trials will be a good thing. Let the girls rest - mind/body (with softer landings), and start to bond as a Team.....instead of fighting tooth and nail for their place on the Team in those last crucial weeks before the Olympics.

Hope it works out the way we are thinking, and that they keep it that way for the future - both for Olympics and future Worlds.

Just learning about this ...funny seeing Marta on this video when I met her her this summer at the ranch I found it kinda funny that she collected the camp dues and manned the canteen store. It was a good camp and bela was a giant teddy bear to the girls.

Marta does not have a choice about naming the team the night of the Trials. The IOC mandates when Olympic teams must be named by the countries and the US is actually naming their team late. Because the venue was already booked and no (easy) way to change when we were hosting our Trials, the USAG had to petition to the IOC for a later deadline to name the official team. I believe there was one or two other sports in similar positions. So yes, normally Marta waits so the "bubble athletes", if you will, don't peak at the Trials to get named to the Team. She obviously would like them to peak at the Games. (Years ago, the top 7 just went to the Olympics, period. They now have it where only 1st and maybe 2nd AA are guarantees while they rest she gets to pick).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back