Coaches Favorite drills 2017 (video)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great stuff! I really like the free hip one, I've used it a few times with great success!

With the cast/swing handstand one, are you ever worried about them falling? I use blocks a lot with boys to teach swings and just about every single one of them bends their arms and face plants at least once. :p

Great stuff! I really like the free hip one, I've used it a few times with great success!

With the cast/swing handstand one, are you ever worried about them falling? I use blocks a lot with boys to teach swings and just about every single one of them bends their arms and face plants at least once. :p

I compressed the progression a bit for the sake of this montage. I generally spend a good deal of time working very low straight-body swings until they can do it with absolutely zero change in body position other than the shoulders. Once this is solid, I allow them to start swinging higher. I have had very few kids buckle and face plant, because by the time they're swinging big enough, they've already developed strong control and balance through the skill.

I also make a point of teaching them to bail if they overshoot it (ie level 3/4 beam dismount).

Also not shown in this video is the final step in the process; take out the noodle so they can swing back down, and have them do them in sets of 10+. You can get 50-100 reps in a single bar rotation with no spotting and no bruised hips; definitely better than trying to get that many reps on a single rail.

I did this progression with my level 4s in San Jose; as a result, half my level 4s and almost all my level 5s could cast to handstand, and they learned it without ever being spotted on the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back