Parents Supplements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine does a prenatal multivitamin with fish oil. She needs the extra folic acid because of an immune suppressant she is on and the anti-inflammatory properties of the fish oil are good for her (she has an autoimmune disease). She also takes a probiotic.

We do multivitamin, calcium/D3 chewable and probiotic daily. Plus fish oil a couple times a week and grapeseed extract for training/growing aches and pains.

mine does juice plus and also takes calcium plus D. She is pretty much dairy free so the calcium/D is advised by her doctor.

Mine has had horrible wrist issues for about 5 months now. Have done all the medical stuff to ensure no major issues but just was not getting better very quickly. Even after taking a full 3 months off was still having issues. I finally put her on some tumeric for inflammation purposes as well as a joint complex (nothing fancy, just a generic) to help build up cartilage and it seems to be helping a lot! Been on both for about 2 1/2 weeks now and last week was her first full week of gym where she only had mild pain at the end of practices. Fish oil/krill oil would also do the trick for inflammation I'm told, but we are not fish eaters and there is no way I'd be able to get a 14 year old to take fish oil...even the ones that are burpless, etc.

Mine has had horrible wrist issues for about 5 months now. Have done all the medical stuff to ensure no major issues but just was not getting better very quickly. Even after taking a full 3 months off was still having issues. I finally put her on some tumeric for inflammation purposes as well as a joint complex (nothing fancy, just a generic) to help build up cartilage and it seems to be helping a lot! Been on both for about 2 1/2 weeks now and last week was her first full week of gym where she only had mild pain at the end of practices. Fish oil/krill oil would also do the trick for inflammation I'm told, but we are not fish eaters and there is no way I'd be able to get a 14 year old to take fish oil...even the ones that are burpless, etc.
What form of turmeric are you giving her? My daughter has 2 related inflammatory diseases and we've done cur curcumin before but she didn't love how she had to take it (as a powder in applesauce).

Doctor recommended and she takes the following. A magnesium, potassium, calcium combo plus a B complex. She Was having electrolyte balancing issues and just system drain problems including low blood pressure, back cramps and shortness of breath. She eats a very healthy well balanced diet, just low reserves. She hasn’t had any issues at all since she started taking these.

She also takes a tissue support supplement. Aches and pains have been generally limited lately and what pain she has she recovers quickly from. She started taking this when she injured her knee this spring and doc said good idea to keep her on a lower daily dose.

She is very strong and muscular but generally very lean and small framed so now that we have the right combo of supplements and diet she is feeling great.

Response to above on brand of turmeric....it is nothing fancy or hard to find...just store bought. It is Okinawa triple turmeric with the black pepper extract which apparently aids in absorption and helps it work.

Response to above on brand of turmeric....it is nothing fancy or hard to find...just store bought. It is Okinawa triple turmeric with the black pepper extract which apparently aids in absorption and helps it work.

and I just added the spice into EVERYTHING! Chicken, fried rice, everything........

Multivitamin, concentrated fruits and vegetables (when traveling mainly), Vitamin C around school time, and Omega 3 (DHA and EPA). We are always on the go so keeping the nutrition up to par is difficult. Kids are sick the first week of school and mine are rarely sick. We use them on and off depending on the time of year. Vit C and Omega during school. Multi and concentrated F and V everyday! Every diet has a nutritional gap between what we eat (even healthy eaters) and what our bodies need. The right supplements fill that gap.

Nothing here. It’s all I can do to remember keep my kids fed somewhat decently! I’ve tried a few myself but I can’t say I’ve ever been able to tell a difference so I don’t bother. I’m pretty natural-minded in what we eat.

I feel there’s a lot of (mis)information out there about what the latest and greatest is, and I don’t have time to dissect it to find the truth. Curious if everyone is getting their recommendations from doctors or just doing their own research? We almost never go to the doctor (only for illnesses that turn serious or injuries). I generally feel like they are rushed and aren’t really that interested in subtleties of diet or anything that isn’t the actual reason for the visit, and tend to over prescribe. Maybe you all have better doctors!

Nothing here. It’s all I can do to remember keep my kids fed somewhat decently! I’ve tried a few myself but I can’t say I’ve ever been able to tell a difference so I don’t bother. I’m pretty natural-minded in what we eat.

I feel there’s a lot of (mis)information out there about what the latest and greatest is, and I don’t have time to dissect it to find the truth. Curious if everyone is getting their recommendations from doctors or just doing their own research? We almost never go to the doctor (only for illnesses that turn serious or injuries). I generally feel like they are rushed and aren’t really that interested in subtleties of diet or anything that isn’t the actual reason for the visit, and tend to over prescribe. Maybe you all have better doctors!
My pediatrics docs are awesome take time to answer all my concerns especially about nutrition. The supplements that were recommend were by my pediatrician . Despite we try to feed ourselves and children healthy our soil in which are vegetables and fruits are harvested in are not the best, despite our best efforts we still miss some key nutrients . This is not to say we shouldn't eat our greens but supplements are just that supplements .

Yes. My background is rooted in medical education and a lot of the clients I work with advocate heavily on nutrition and it's importance.

I give my girls:

Liposomal vitamin C for their immune system and collagen/ligament/tendon protection - daily
Branched chain amino acids during workout or recovery stage immediately after 2x per week - we use a few different forms of this including whey shakes and recovery drinks
Magnesium - lotion because it really helps their muscle aches and any bruising - 3+ days per week
Multivitamin that includes methylated b vitamins - daily
Probiotics in the form of Kefir and yogurt - daily
Fish oil/omega daily
cal/mag/d3/k2 multi - 3x per week

I rotate other vitamins and minerals through the year.

the synopsis of current research is that children with a first world diet do not need supplements ( assuming no underlying medical conditions), with the exception of vitamin D in the winter time, or all year round in northern latitudes for those with dark skin pigmentation.

I agree. My philosophy on supplements/vitamins is that unless they are prescribed/recommended by a doctor (which sometimes they are) - I'm not doing them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back