WAG Why Does Shawn Johnson Lie So Much In Her Speeches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I find it extremely distasteful @Gymmommy71 — seemed totally staged and was just not something you’d video like that for any other reason. She also showed up on Whitney Bjerken’s channel a while back too...with a click-thru to her channel. Very odd.

Glad I kept reading this thread - the tide sure changed. Shawn has always been my DDs absolute favorite gymnast of all time. Her gymnastics was great. But I never understood the appeal (still don't) -- there was always something that seemed saccharin sweet to me.

And I know people bash Nastia as well, but I respect the fact that she went to college and finished the program. It seems like Shawn could have gotten broadcasting gigs or another job in the biz if she wanted it.

Wow - I didn't know she posted that stuff about the miscarriage, fake pregnancy, etc. She can't find a better way to earn a living than posting private stuff like that on YouTube for views? The misstating of verifiable information like if she was at a particular world championship or not is also pretty pathetic. At her age she should know better.

I thought the April Fools pregnant joke was funny and harmless. The miscarriage video was a bit much though.

I find it extremely distasteful @Gymmommy71 — seemed totally staged and was just not something you’d video like that for any other reason. She also showed up on Whitney Bjerken’s channel a while back too...with a click-thru to her channel. Very odd.

Why is it odd that she'd be on other gym girls' channels? She's trying to grow her YouTube audience. She also shows up a lot on that "Bratayley" channel.

why on earth do people always feel inclined to judge female gymnasts or former gymnasts all the time? let her be. she is just making money which in the us she has to do to get by. just think about this being your grown daughter. you would like people commenting on her that way? really?

why on earth do people always feel inclined to judge female gymnasts or former gymnasts all the time? let her be. she is just making money which in the us she has to do to get by. just think about this being your grown daughter. you would like people commenting on her that way? really?
I have no problem with the videos per se -- it's a legitimate revenue stream and my kid loves her. However, given Shawn's estimated net worth (just google it), I have a little bit of hard time with the talk about how money is a concern for them. It feels manipulative (with my child) because I am not the one watching the videos. I understand this manipulation is probably a part of all advertising though, so I really don't want to sound like I am bashing Shawn. She's just not my cup of team.

If it were my own grown daughter I would expect more from her than being a youtube personality. I would expect her to give back, to possibly open a gym and change the lives of young children by teaching what it takes to be GREAT in this world. I have never understood children idolizing anyone famous. Everyone is simply a person, singing a song, hitting or kicking a ball is no reason to idolize another person. Does anyone with average intelligence eat pizza because an NFL quarterback says to eat it?

Because it appears she’s trying to make a living in the public eye/on YouTube and this is a gymnastics message board?? Seems like a legit thing to discuss.

I agree with your statement in part. I've been conflicted by this entire thread. Part of it seems mean spirited - especially when people are bringing up facebook posts that are 9 years old and all the people in the post were at the time barely out of their teens (and Shawn would have been just 16!). Part of it seems legit because she is making a living as a vlogger and I do agree that you open yourself up to criticism when you are in the public eye. And then I'm especially conflicted when I read how she's appeared in the younger gymnasts you tube videos. I understand why as it generates interest in the Shawn brand and subsequently $$ for her. Anyways, I'm not really sure what my point is other than I'm trying to keep an open mind reading all the responses.

I agree with your statement in part. I've been conflicted by this entire thread. Part of it seems mean spirited - especially when people are bringing up facebook posts that are 9 years old and all the people in the post were at the time barely out of their teens (and Shawn would have been just 16!). Part of it seems legit because she is making a living as a vlogger and I do agree that you open yourself up to criticism when you are in the public eye. And then I'm especially conflicted when I read how she's appeared in the younger gymnasts you tube videos. I understand why as it generates interest in the Shawn brand and subsequently $$ for her. Anyways, I'm not really sure what my point is other than I'm trying to keep an open mind reading all the responses.

I posted that facebook picture because I felt it was an example of Shawn being bullied, and everyone else I've discussed it with sees it that way as well. I was actually defending her against the fonts who said it wasn't true that other team members were jealous of her. The person who insinuated that Shawn was acting "too cool" to take a photo with those girls is WAY OFF. Those girls were all older and on the national team way before Shawn, and if I recall correctly Shawn actually asked Nastia for her autograph when she first met her at the Ranch. I don't believe for one minute that Shawn ever acted "too good" for these girls, she was definitely the "underdog" from a social perspective.

I have no problem with the videos per se -- it's a legitimate revenue stream and my kid loves her. However, given Shawn's estimated net worth (just google it), I have a little bit of hard time with the talk about how money is a concern for them. It feels manipulative (with my child) because I am not the one watching the videos. I understand this manipulation is probably a part of all advertising though, so I really don't want to sound like I am bashing Shawn. She's just not my cup of team.

When it comes to the money issue, they made a video called We Googled Ourselves where they google their estimated networths and then laugh and imply that it's very exaggerated. So I don't think the $9 million is actually accurate. I definitely believe they could be "rich people broke" based on their spending habits. They have a mansion in Nashville, an apartment in LA, plus they stay in hotels constantly. I'm sure Shawn still earns a ton from her various endorsements and appearances but the husband has never had a job and LA isn't cheap. Btw I would never mention someone's finances like this unless they put it out there for public fodder in the first place.

Because it appears she’s trying to make a living in the public eye/on YouTube and this is a gymnastics message board?? Seems like a legit thing to discuss.

I've felt conflicted about SJ for a while. I was a fan in '08 and have followed her career since. Like it or not she is a role model for gymnasts and alumni of other Olympic sports. I've read all the posts, if it gets mean spirited I will moderate but an honest discussion is fair. We have a long thread about Aly and Simone is brought up often. Also, Shawn is an adult. She's 25 , long past the age where we can ignore her exaggerations as the mistakes of a child. She will likely be one of the faces of gymnastics for years to come. I see her in a similar role to Mary Lou Retton, who has also been highly criticized at times.

To those of you saying she should open a gym, why? A gym is a tough business that would require her to settle in one city and work long hours doing accounting, marketing and coaching, none of which she has done or has the training to do ( except some short term coaching). Gym ownership doesn't seem to interest her. Some notable gymnasts run very successful gyms, ( Amanda Bordon, Jacie Phelps, Kim Zemescal) many do not. I would like to see Shawn get a talk show so she could do the celebrity bit with a bit less of the personal stuff but those gigs are few and far between.

Many of you who do not care for her have been honest but respectful. Thank you for that.

I've felt conflicted about SJ for a while. I was a fan in '08 and have followed her career since. Like it or not she is a role model for gymnasts and alumni of other Olympic sports. I've read all the posts, if it gets mean spirited I will moderate but an honest discussion is fair. We have a long thread about Aly and Simone is brought up often. Also, Shawn is an adult. She's 25 , long past the age where we can ignore her exaggerations as the mistakes of a child. She will likely be one of the faces of gymnastics for years to come. I see her in a similar role to Mary Lou Retton, who has also been highly criticized at times.

To those of you saying she should open a gym, why? A gym is a tough business that would require her to settle in one city and work long hours doing accounting, marketing and coaching, none of which she has done or has the training to do ( except some short term coaching). Gym ownership doesn't seem to interest her. Some notable gymnasts run very successful gyms, ( Amanda Bordon, Jacie Phelps, Kim Zemescal) many do not. I would like to see Shawn get a talk show so she could do the celebrity bit with a bit less of the personal stuff but those gigs are few and far between.

Many of you who do not care for her have been honest but respectful. Thank you for that.

Thank you. Please everyone take note, I never said anything about what Shawn "SHOULD" do. I never even said that she should stop lying in speeches and interviews. I only asked WHY do y'all think she does it.

I posted that facebook picture because I felt it was an example of Shawn being bullied, and eeveryone else I've discussed it with sees it that way as well. I was actually defending her against the fonts who said it wasn't true that other team members were jealous of her. The person who insinuated that Shawn was acting "too cool" to take a photo with those girls is WAY OFF. Those girls were all older and on the national team way before Shawn, and if I recall correctly Shawn actually asked Nastia for her autograph when she first met her at the Ranch. I don't believe for one minute that Shawn ever acted "too good" for these girls, she was definitely the "underdog" from a social perspective.

Yeah, I know you are defending SJ. :) I couldn't tell from the fb post what the tone or intent of the comment was and I actually had a different take on it and didn't see it as talking smack. I also cut all these Olympic gymnasts some slack because I think in general they all have had a very sheltered life to this point. Often during interviews after every Olympics I have to remind myself of their actual age because they seem a little immature. And I don't mean that negatively at all. I see something similar in my DD who I would admit is a little sheltered too. Again, this isn't a negative, just a different experience when you grow up in a gym. I just see such a contrast between the mindset/dedication of the level of training for the Olympics then being thrust in the spotlight because everyone loves the Olympic gymnasts. I don't think they are prepared for that and several don't even have the personality to support that (think Gabby, who I absolutely LOVE but I think she struggles with being a celebrity). OK, I've rambled and I'm not sure what my point is again. :)

Gym fan 96, My opinion answering your question why? Because she has an image of her self ( like we all do) and she talks as if her image is honest, when it's exaggerated, both good and bad. This generates attention, sometimes sympathy and more paying jobs. If she is in the public eye, she can be a celebrity on shows. She also does it to get clicks and likes which equal money in her bank acccount.

Please take a minute to respond to my role model thread. There are plenty of amazing athletes to admire. Who are your favorites?

Like it or not, we live in an era where "broadcasting yourself" is emerging as a legit pathway for earning a living. It feels self-indulgent and egotistical to me, but I also admit that I'm a Gen X and back when I was growing up a legit pathway to earning a living involved a college degree and an 8-5 job. Times, they are a'changin.

That being said, with great "power" comes great responsibility. I believe that ANY person who chooses to support themselves in this way should strive to do so with the most authenticity possible. Unfortunately the more "dis" connected we become through Facebook, Instagram and yes, even message boards, the more "accepted" and "normalized" it becomes to exaggerate the truth for clicks, to over-share and essentially sell yourself out. I am very anti-celebrity in general. I do not believe that being "known" by lots of people is what makes you special. But sadly, being "known" by lots of people does make you money - that's why people do it.

All that to say, I'm not surprised nor shocked by the allegations that Shawn may stretch the truth (or downright ignore it in some instances) nor am I alarmed by her miscarriage video. But I always take these types of things with a grain of salt. There's some truth in much of what we see put online, but it's always tainted with the reality that the author stands to profit from what they are projecting. And as a result, I'm always skeptical of people who edit their own highlight reel.

The same thing happened to us at a meet and greet with Aly Raisman....she totally didn't want to be there and didn't talk to the kids or look at them after we waited in an hour long line. Happened a few years ago. I guess they can all be "not in the mood" after doing millions of those things..
We experienced the same with Chelsea Memmel. It was quite a let-down for my daughter. Meeting Mary Lou was a little better, but not a lot. At least she spoke to my daughter and she did get a great photo with her.

We experienced the same with Chelsea Memmel. It was quite a let-down for my daughter. Meeting Mary Lou was a little better, but not a lot. At least she spoke to my daughter and she did get a great photo with her.
I am actually both glad and sad to hear this, if you know what I mean.

Also the same when my kiddo met Shannon Miller. I don’t think she said more than one word, took a quick photo, then we were rushed out.

Also the same when my kiddo met Shannon Miller. I don’t think she said more than one word, took a quick photo, then we were rushed out.

All these meet and greet posts…I feel like I should share: I met McKayla Maroney, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, and Jordyn Wieber together. They were all extremely sweet and talked to my niece, signed things, and graciously allowed me to video tape them.

I have run into John Macready many times and he is always super nice and cool.

We saw Nastia once at a meet and greet but she wasn't signing and didn't even speak to anyone. I wondered why she was even there? Lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back