MAG A JD/JO question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
So suppose just for druthers, you have a guy who's competing JD1. If you wanted to figure out roughly what he'd be scoring in JO at L9, would it simply be a matter of adding .5 to his event scores for events where he had all group requirements and a B dismount? Or are judges developing norms about JD judging where they go easier on deductions?

So, I would think so, and when we did that with D last year, the scores were in the range of what he did score when he moved to 9. He was scoring around a 61-62 at JD without any element group credit, then scored in the 72-73 range.

This year, don't they get some credit for element groups at JD1? That would change the calculations some. The other thing to be aware of is that at L9, they deduct for empty swings, they do not do that at JD.

But if you can account for the element groups in JD1 now, and convert, it should give you an idea.

OK. I am incorrect with some of the new changes this year.

In JD1 extra swings are deducted like in JO. They get up to 1.5 for element groups, they cannot get 2 points like in JO. They are not required to do the swing to handstand on rings.

So if he is getting the 1.5 on all events, but has the L9 EG requirements (including the B dismount) you could add .5 per event, or 2.5 points to his JD score. If he dos not have a swing to handstand on rings, that would be .3 ND>

Also, in JD, they count 6 skills (5+dismount) and L9 is is 8 (6+dismmount) so he would have some possible additional points there as well.

Ah, forgot about the six skills. That's good! But for JD1, I think they may be getting D scores for skills the same way they do in JO, and I'm pretty sure the 1.5 for groups is part of the D score, which is why I *think* it's a matter of adding .5 to the JD score (JO can get 2, JD only 1.5). It's confusing!

Maybe an example would help. Let's say you have a guy who competes the following skills in a floor routine.
  • Back 1.5 (is that a B or a C?? Assuming B)
  • Front layout
  • B press handstand of some sort
  • Back full
  • Front half
  • Two random As (drop if they only count 6 skills for JD)
  • Back layout dismount
At L9, the SV for this routine would be 13.4 (2 for groups and 1.4 for skills, 1.5 if one of these things is actually a C). For JD1, would it be 1.5 for the groups and 1.2 for the skills, so a 12.7?

I think so. That sounds about right.

It is so confusing. But I think that is correct.

I'm behind the curve. Is having a JD 1 and JD 2 new this year? (And are these basically like the compulsory divisions within JD???) And if anyone has the time and inclination, can you explain the difference?

Yes. they divided JD1 and JD2. JD2 is pretty much what they did last year. 6 skills, no element groups. JD1 adds more requirements (Swing to hand on rings) and also can give 1.5 credit for element groups. Encourages boys to progress a bit more as they are working.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back