WAG Miss Val - UCLA - speaks on USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't really get on board with NCAA gymnastics being an overall "safe haven" either though.

It's not. I read Miss Val's article and agreed with most of it except the whole "girls come to NCAA and it's a safe haven " aspect because it's not...it might be nicer at some schools and even Val might be nicer to her former elites because she realizes how awful they were treated by Marta but NCAA has its own Martas, so to speak.

I think the new regs of not pulling scholarships might help some but that doesn't mean that coaches still can't make life hell for gymnasts under their charge.

This breaks my heart. How as an adult can you expect someone to shun a friend and teammate in a moment of devastation for them? God that is just sick. Of course I understand how hard it is to speak up in a situation like this as a kid. But an adult? Heartless. Just heartless.

And not to be Debbie Downer on this , but this happens in NCAA...kid falls in a routine and she basically sobs the whole bus/plane ride home by herself while no one dares to speak to her or comfort her lest the coaches see...even if the fall wasn't counted in the score. If it was counted, even worse....and the affected gymnast sobs because she knows that she will be shunned by her coaches especially and her teammates....yeah, not a safe haven

And not to be Debbie Downer on this , but this happens in NCAA...kid falls in a routine and she basically sobs the whole bus/plane ride home by herself while no one dares to speak to her or comfort her lest the coaches see...even if the fall wasn't counted in the score. If it was counted, even worse....and the affected gymnast sobs because she knows that she will be shunned by her coaches especially and her teammates....yeah, not a safe haven

This makes me so sad to read. :(

I am once again reminded of how thankful I am that my DD is where she is in this sport. No training to make elite, no real college gym goals, no crazy amount of hours in the gym, no crazy pressure. She just practices a moderate amount, progresses moderately, and simply does it because she loves it.

I know there are many super talented kids on that path, and that’s ok. I’m just taking a moment to remember why I’m pleased my DD is where she is.

I just want to give all these girls a hug - NCAA, elite, etc. I can’t imagine the pressure they must feel.

Just wow. Yes, as someone said, a must read.

What struck me most is the description of the root of the problem:
"The monster is the Culture of USA Gymnastics. Abusive behavior is the example the Karolyis cultivated. The enabling environment they created is what USAG honored. Medals is all the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) cared for… not the athletes earning them."

And, of course, there is so much more within the article.

Reactions: SMH
isn't there an irony here also though that UCLA loves to recruit and give scholarships to formal elites, and rightfully so - they come in with a bigger bag of tricks, more polish, more well-known amongst fans and judges, all great for the gym.

But this fact alone pushes many gymnasts (and their parents) to purse the elite path. Many know the path to the olympics is quite narrow and are in the elite level mainly to improve their resume and chances at landing a scholarship at a top program like UCLA.

It's not. I read Miss Val's article and agreed with most of it except the whole "girls come to NCAA and it's a safe haven " aspect because it's not...it might be nicer at some schools and even Val might be nicer to her former elites because she realizes how awful they were treated by Marta but NCAA has its own Martas, so to speak.

I think the new regs of not pulling scholarships might help some but that doesn't mean that coaches still can't make life hell for gymnasts under their charge.

Yeah, I don't know, I can't really look past that. It's definitely good for her to acknowledge the USAG issue but some of the NCAA issues need to be acknowledged too. Much less to not only not acknowledge it but then to describe it as a "safe haven." Sorry but no. And I certainly hope Mattie gave permission for the information that was used about her.

To Mattie: just know there are people in the gymnastics community that never doubted your strength or accomplishments.

Mattie bravely spoke out at the Senate hearing last year along with Dominique Moceanu, Jamie Dantzscher, Jeanette Antolin and Jessica Howard. They were advocating for a law to help protect young athletes.

Sure, Mattie spoke today also and has made a few things public. Not sure if she authorized the release of that specific incident for the purpose of describing NCAA gymnastics as a "safe haven." To my knowledge Mattie herself hasn't shared that anecdote in that way which is why it came to mind. But it is very possible they talked about it, I could believe that too. I'm just saying I hope that is the case.

I don’t want to be negative either, but to me Miss Val comes off as wanting to be a “star.” I hope she truly means what she says and isn’t just speaking up about abusive gym culture because it’s a hot button issue right now. However I don’t know much about how she runs her program so who knows, she may have always been a kind nurturing coach who didn’t use the “shunning” tactics.

I don’t want to be negative either, but to me Miss Val comes off as wanting to be a “star.” I hope she truly means what she says and isn’t just speaking up about abusive gym culture because it’s a hot button issue right now. However I don’t know much about how she runs her program so who knows, she may have always been a kind nurturing coach who didn’t use the “shunning” tactics.
I ran into a mom of a UCLA athlete at a hotel during a NCAAs one year and she had nothing but praise for Ms. Val. Her daughter was a good gymnast, contributed to the team, but not a huge star. That's just one case, so I'm sure there are plenty of other stories out there, but I've always gotten the sense she has far less "dirt" surrounding her than many NCAA coaches do.

I ran into a mom of a UCLA athlete at a hotel during a NCAAs one year and she had nothing but praise for Ms. Val. Her daughter was a good gymnast, contributed to the team, but not a huge star. That's just one case, so I'm sure there are plenty of other stories out there, but I've always gotten the sense she has far less "dirt" surrounding her than many NCAA coaches do.
I would figure that a parent of a current gymnast is not going to badmouth the coach to anyone, particularly not knowing who that person is, what connections he/she has.

I would figure that a parent of a current gymnast is not going to badmouth the coach to anyone, particularly not knowing who that person is, what connections he/she has.
This is true, though there was also much more to the exchange I shared here briefly than just a mom saying "we love her coach" to an unknown person. From many accounts, I have reason to believe that Val is one of the "better guys" in the gym world, though I could absolutely be wrong.

Even on the private gymnastics boards, that are full of gossip, I have never read anything negative about Miss Val. In fact she really seems to be a super coach and person generally.
Ditto, including personal stories as well. There are many things just about all of us in the gymnastics world have to answer for, including not speaking out enough. But when the reckoning is over and the pieces put back together, Miss Val is one of the ones we want left standing. She is one of the good guys.

curious how this entire issue plays out with regards to gymnastics as a sport in terms of enrollment.. wonder how many have/will pull their kids from the sport and how future participation in the sport (especially at the elite levels) will change

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back