Parents Woodward east

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hilly70

Proud Parent
Greetings. Our coaches are at Woodward for a week in August. They have asked if we were interested in sending our gymnast. Being 5, I think she is to young. Thoughts?

Too young. My son went to WW West when he was 11. He loved it, but there is a great deal of "free" self directed time, a pool, other sports...just too many opportunities for a major problem. So my vote is no, unless the coach plans to literally act as baby sitter/nanny to your child the whole time.

I would not send my gymnast to Woodward at age 5 on their own. Its a really busy place. While they have camp moms in the cabins with them - they are taking care of around 17 kids in one cabin. I was a camp mom a few times when my dd went.
I believe someone already noted I think you have to be 7. Again at 7 I wouldn't send her alone unless someone I knew was a camp mom in her cabin. But that being said - it would not have been in my daughters personality or comfort level to go alone at age 7. Whereas some have absolutely no issues.

I take kids to Flipfest every year. The age is 7 but they will allow 6 year olds under certain circumstances. I have let about 1/2 of the 6 year olds that ask go with me. I would never bring a 5 year old.

@3gymgirlsmom you are not alone, mine is going to camp for the second time. It is hard to drive away, but I tell myself that my single most important purpose as her dad is to teach her how to make wise life decisions on her own. Camp is a great starting place for her to learn that she is fully capable of doing the daily life skills necessary without parental supervision. I am still sad and nervous driving away.

@3gymgirlsmom you are not alone, mine is going to camp for the second time. It is hard to drive away, but I tell myself that my single most important purpose as her dad is to teach her how to make wise life decisions on her own. Camp is a great starting place for her to learn that she is fully capable of doing the daily life skills necessary without parental supervision. I am still sad and nervous driving away.
She will be flying alone with her 16 yr old sister , I am a wreck but know this is a very good experience that I will regret not letting her do. Last summer she was basically living in a hospital having chemo treatments so my goal is to let her have the best summer ever this year.

She will be flying alone with her 16 yr old sister , I am a wreck but know this is a very good experience that I will regret not letting her do. Last summer she was basically living in a hospital having chemo treatments so my goal is to let her have the best summer ever this year.

She is going to have a blast. Plus with big sister around you have some extra eyes to keep a watch on her. SO happy that she is well enough to be off to camp with the big kids.

I would only send a kid that young to a very structured camp, such as Girl Scout camp, where the kids are closely supervised every second of the day. And this is coming from someone who sent her kid to camp at age 6.

I took mine to Woodward at age 9, and it was a little unnerving. They do have a lot of free time--more than I think is necessary--and my daughter spent a lot of the time in the pool.....which they share with the kids from the skateboarding camp, many of whom are male and much older. (Please, lets not hijack the thread with a lecture on gender stereotypes). I would not let any of my other girls go at that age now, and especially not a 5-year-old. I would wait for gym camp altogether unless it was day-only and close by until she is at least 7, maybe longer. Camps are fun, but very expensive, and a lot of what they learn are higher skills than their level and can't even be used for a few years. They don't work on them much at practice, if at all, so they lose it.

Again, just my opinion. But I wouldn't send my 5 year old to Woodward or any other sleepover camps.

Thanks
She is going to have a blast. Plus with big sister around you have some extra eyes to keep a watch on her. SO happy that she is well enough to be off to camp with the big kids.
thanks Bog she is doing amazing and Is my little hero <3 I know she will have a blast and I refuse to let my mommy worry get in the way of her getting the experiences she should have and deserve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back