WAG Training at a reduced cost, or for free

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are no scholarships at our gym. They are not financially strapped. The child is talented. However, there are many talented girls at our gym with lots of potential. We could all use a tuition break. I’m all for providing a scholarship to someone who is deserving. This situation is wildly unfair. I am just simply wondering if this will effect her NCAA scholarship chances in any way.

It should not affect eligibility as long as she/the family is not receiving more money than what the training costs. They will need to report it to the NCAA when it comes time and the NCAA will make the final determination. From what I have heard from players of other sports who have had some issues with funds and eligibility, the NCAA just requires that the family repay the funds if they find it is in violation. Problem comes when/if the family cannot repay.

But keep in mind, as to the "unfairness" - There are many reasons this could be happening that you may not be aware of (unless you are close to the family in question and they have shared the info to you). The family could be bartering services. It happens more than you would think and if it is for a service outside the gym, you would never know it. There could also be a friend/family relationship, where it would be no different than if it were a restaurant comping dinners to friends/family on a weekly basis.

What if the gym profits from the athlete? So athlete gains new skills or wins competitions, and then gym posts on social media? Gym profits from gymnast receiving free training...

The NCAA doesn't care if the gym profits. Just look at how much the colleges profit from the players?! That profit just can't make it's way back to the gymnast beyond training expenses. But also, the gym isn't profiting specifically for giving out free training, unless the gymnast would not be part of team without the scholarship. Is the gym only posting this one gymnast's successes? Is she well known in the community and then has a higher chance of bringing in more people? Like profmom said, there isn't enough information for us to determine if the situation really is unfair, but in terms of NCAA eligibility, no, it shouldn't affect it. Many gyms allow their college gymnasts train for free in the summer and they don't lose their eligibility as a result.

There are plenty of talented athletes in other sports who receive scholarships to attend prestige high schools. Some are wealthy some are not. It's life, sometimes life is not fair. Seems you have two realistic choices, be happy for this athlete or make you dissatisfaction know and deal with the consequences. Those consequences are unknown and could go either way.

There are plenty of talented athletes in other sports who receive scholarships to attend prestige high schools. Some are wealthy some are not. It's life, sometimes life is not fair. Seems you have two realistic choices, be happy for this athlete or make you dissatisfaction know and deal with the consequences. Those consequences are unknown and could go either way.

And unfortunately, airing dissatisfaction on a public forum may cause those consequences to happen regardless of if the OP makes the decision to talk with ownership.

This is a tough crowd. I see both sides of the story. I want every gymnast to be successful and have the ability to train. I want to be informed of rules and regulations, and want to make sure we are a part of a gym that is doing things ethically and does not compromise the athlete’s scholarship chances in any way.

I could be wrong, but your post gives the impression that you are looking for ammunition to use to cause a problem for that gymnast.

I really really hope you're not trying to find out if it would affect NCAA eligibility so you can then "report" that and stop this girl from getting help

Some families can barely pay bills month to month. You don't know the situation...maybe her dad got laid off and she can't afford to pay until he works again. Why would you be against someone in need getting the help she needs to continue a sport she obviously is talented at?

I hope I'm wrong, but the whole tone of this post really rubbed me the wrong way. As others have said---it's not affecting you or your gymnast , so why inject yourself into the situation ? And if you need help and feel slighted that your child isn't getting it...then why not ask how to apply for it and leave the other family out of it ?

Gymnasts get scholarships. National team members get training stipends. Those do not affect eligibility.

This is a tough crowd. I see both sides of the story. I want every gymnast to be successful and have the ability to train. I want to be informed of rules and regulations, and want to make sure we are a part of a gym that is doing things ethically and does not compromise the athlete’s scholarship chances in any way.

This is the most polite and well-moderated internet forum I have ever seen, and mean spiritedness towards other gymnasts is generally not tolerated.

Unfortunately if you see a gym who gives a “sponsorship” or any type of help with fees as unethical then ur going to have a hard time finding a gym you agree with.

i don't know that this is a post of ethics. maybe of whether or not it's fair to all the other parents paying full tuition at that gym.
What if the gym profits from the athlete? So athlete gains new skills or wins competitions, and then gym posts on social media? Gym profits from gymnast receiving free training...

it would be hard to prove that the gym is actually profiting from this gymnast. she's not pro or anything.

i can see that it might cause hard feelings among families that are paying full tuition, especially if this gymnast is getting special attention in the gym that other families might see as time they are paying for being taken away from their child. they could lose families over this if it's well known. so they may actually not benefit financially from this.

i don't see an ethics issue with this though. like someone said, kids get scholarships to go to pricey high schools in order to play sports or do other activities or grades related attention. i don't really see this any differently.

Sometimes the reason isn’t what you think. I know of several families that barter for gym fees but one is very private about it (I only know because I’ve helped with rides). IMHO, it takes a village to be in this sport so help out when you can, ask for help when you need it, be grateful for help when you can get it, and don’t judge if you can help it because it all tends to even out in the end.

There are no scholarships at our gym. They are not financially strapped. The child is talented. However, there are many talented girls at our gym with lots of potential. We could all use a tuition break. I’m all for providing a scholarship to someone who is deserving. This situation is wildly unfair. I am just simply wondering if this will effect her NCAA scholarship chances in any way.
How do you know they are not financially strapped? I do youth work and one thing I’ve learnt is that it’s not always easy to spot those who are struggling financially.
You seem to be very disgruntled by this girl not paying for training but it’s not clear how you know she’s not paying.
Unless your fees have been increased directly to pay for this girl I don’t really see how it’s any of your business.

My family took a huge financial hit after my dad was disabled in Iraq (my mom became sole breadwinner, and she was making about 30% of the income), and my gym gave me a scholarship when it became clear that gymnastics was completely impossible for us otherwise. I know my dad did some maintenance work around the gym and my mum did some bookkeeping and "teaching" the toddler classes that were essentially cheap babysitting/daycare for parents with older kids in the gym, and that helped pay for stuff like grips and meet fees, but tuition was 100% under a "scholarship". I did not know any of this until I was going through the NCAA clearinghouse process years later, but it was fully disclosed to the NCAA and did not prevent me from receiving an athletic scholarship.

Maybe it's not fair. Maybe it's not. It IS, however, nobody's business outside of the business owner (the gym) and the customer (the parent/guardian of a minor participating in said gym).

The only gymnast you need to be concerned about is the one you live with. Really, its none of your business.

Our gym. They put the kids successes in the paper with photos (we parents sign releases). They post that they have State Champs on their signage. They have the kids participate in local town events to show off their skills (volunteer basis).

Is this "using" the gymnasts to advertise their business? Yes. Is it taking advantage of the gymnasts? No Is it taking anything away from their training? No

The girls love their "press" (even if it is a silly local paper) and signage. Love the town events. And if it brings in new gymmies and keeps the gym in business I'm for it.

@tumbletop I would like to shake the hand of that gym owner, pay it forward when you can.

They are truly amazing people, they know every gymnast that trains there by name, even the rec and tot classes (I think 400+ are enrolled for summer, more during the regular season) and do everything they can to make it a great, inclusive place. I've been banned from verbally thanking them, so now I volunteer as a bars and tumbling coach a few days a week and run all of the first aid/CPR/AED training for no cost (it's mandatory for coaches, staff, and higher level/older teenage gymnasts that help with rec and lower level classes, and open to parents and athletes over 14), but it seems so insignificant compared to what the gym has given me!

My mum still teaches the tots and rec classes, twelve years after I left! She loves it, they love "Auntie Kate", and I don't get questioned on when I'm going to give her grandbabies, it's very win-win. ;-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back