Parents Score Scratched...is that normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mel

Proud Parent
Hi all,
I am after some advice. My daughter and 2 of her team mates got scratched from an apparatus each at a competion on the weekend.
My daughters favourite apparatus is bars and its her strongest. She did her set and looked so happy with it but then the organizers came over and they wouldnt put up her score. It then came up on the app as 'scratched'.
Then 2 girls following her weren't even allowed to have a go at the next 2 apparatus (beam and floor).
They told us afterwards it was because they were evening out the numbers between the teams.
i don't understand this as they knew there were more people in her team for weeks so they had lots of time to fix it or at least tell the girls it was going to happen and prepare them. And also to decide who was going to miss what.
Our kids are 10 yrs old and pre level 4. They were all very.upset and confused.
I guess my question is, is this normal?
Why would they scratch her after she performed? And why off the apparatus that she is the best in the team at?
I'm pretty new at all this so any guidance is very appreciated.

I am guess that this was a team comp? In a team comp not all the gymnasts compete on all the apparatus.

Each comp is run differently but a team is allowed to have a certain number of gymnasts, and from there a certain number is allowed to compete on each apparatus and then a certain number of scores are taken.

So for example a team might be allowed to have up to 7 gymnasts, and then 5 gymnasts can compete on each apparatus, and the top 3 scores are taken. (These are just random numbers. It could be anything).

Then the coaches can play their gymnasts strengths by having the best at each apparatus perform. You might have an amazing bar worker who struggles at vault, you can have them do the bar work, it can use someone else for vault who is stronger.

Reactions: Mel
I am guess that this was a team comp? In a team comp not all the gymnasts compete on all the apparatus.

Each comp is run differently but a team is allowed to have a certain number of gymnasts, and from there a certain number is allowed to compete on each apparatus and then a certain number of scores are taken.

So for example a team might be allowed to have up to 7 gymnasts, and then 5 gymnasts can compete on each apparatus, and the top 3 scores are taken. (These are just random numbers. It could be anything).

Then the coaches can play their gymnasts strengths by having the best at each apparatus perform. You might have an amazing bar worker who struggles at vault, you can have them do the bar work, it can use someone else for vault who is stronger.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, It was a team comp and what you've said makes perfect sense. I did chat to the head coach tonight who explained to me that it wasn't a personal thing and didn't mean she had done anything wrong but to look at it as a team not an individual and thats definitely not how we had seen it.
There's a lot to learn about this and im trying to just be a supportive mum without getting overly involved so I'm grateful for any and all advice.
Thank you

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back