Parents Help on level 3 vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cmarie

Proud Parent
This will be my daughter’s second year competing, she did xcel gold and is now doing level 3 JO. Last year she competed a front hand spring on vault, and her highest score was an 8.6, though in general she scored in the low 8s. She just had an intrasquad meet and I am noticing that she seems to be in a pike position and her arms are still a bit bent.

Her coach told her she needs a more powerful swing, but when I look at her run, she seems to be jogging and not doing a powerful run either.

Any suggestions on how to clean up her vault a bit?

I am no coach, and even after sitting through a season of level 3 vaults, I still don’t understand the scoring of that vault. But I can tell you that I don’t recall seeing anyone look like they were jogging like that. They all (well most) looked like they were trying to go full out speed.

I also think I heard the run is judged in level 3 vault, although I am not really sure what they are looking for.

Let her and her coach work it out.

For crying out loud, she didn't say she's looking to coach her. Just trying to come up with ideas and tips. My daughter's coaches told her to imagine hitting the mat in a handstand- that helped get her out of the piking. Also her run - big time. She's tall so she shouldn't need that many strides to get down the runway. It's more of a sprint - she just won't do as many steps as everyone else.

I think she just need to run faster and punch the board harder? My kiddo was a great level 3 vaulter and those are the two biggest things I can see from your video that might need fixing. (I am not a coach though!)

It's really not TOO bad. There's nothing you can really work on except at the gym. She did hit a handstand position rather than staying piked throughout, so she can do it. Her run is off and she needs to lengthen her approach to allow her to get to the correct position on takeoff. I'm sure this is what the coach means. She needs to focus every time in practice on trying to make the correction the coach tells her and if she doesn't understand that needs to be communicated.

Thank you all! It’s much appreciated. She worked on it today, and she seems to be excited about some of the corrections she was informed of by her coach, which seem consistent here.

I think we’ve all told her about her run :) so that was spot on. Hoping she’ll get it corrected in time for her first meet.

Thanks again! And no I definitely don’t try to coach her at home lol but it’s always nice to kind of understand what’s going on and to offer her any insight I might have (or be able to gather from others).

I had a judge explain vault to me once and the take away was that when the run is judged an athlete can lose a point or more before their hands even hit the table. So maybe the run, angle on and off the springboard as well as body position in the air are things to consider.

By the powerful swing, the coach is probably meaning that her arms need to come up past her hips and drive to her ear, rather than circling up like she is currently doing. Her position looks good, and her heel speed will probably increase once she fixes her run.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back