WAG What kind of impact do the abuse revelations have on rec gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
I'm curious if there is much of an impact on recreational gymnastics in the wake of all of the news coverage of Nassar's abuse, and the continual reporting on verbal and physical abuse in the sport. We're a few years out from the bump rec programs often get from the Olympics, and I wonder how many parents of young girls decide not to put them in gymnastics when there are so many other sports out there that don't come loaded with a long history of an abusive culture. Thoughts?

I'm not an expert, but the gym my daughter goes to is busier than ever. Every class seems full and there are wait lists for popular times. And they keep adding new classes. They are talking about expanding the building again. In addition, I belong to a local moms group and there are always people asking where to go for rec gymnastics because this gym or that gym has a wait list and no openings. So it seems like most/all the gyms in my area are similarly busy.

Even before the Nassar scandal when I signed my daughter up for gymnastics my parents (her grandparents) were not happy. They didn't say anything when she was in rec but when she started team they were not that happy. They had heard about abuse in gymnastics before that. It was our decision in the end to let her do gymnastics. I feel like we take the precautions we can to ensure she is not being abused emotionally/physically.

Less than you would think? I expected a lot more but I think this news is generally more prevalent and overwhelming within the competitive gymnastics community. Most other people heard it, but probably just here or there as part of the greater movement. I think the concerns probably relate more to competitive gymnastics at any level. I've never really heard of a gym that doesn't allow viewing for rec classes, for instance. So I'm not sure it would strike a lot of parents as relevant specifically to rec gymnastics. I do think more parents of kids moving to team or in lower level team have more questions (which I think is good).

I expected people to at least ask about it still but to date I've only had one rec parent strike up a conversation about it (this was a morning class where there's lots of time to talk after, so it wasn't really even like a directed question). She was an MSU alum and it just started as "yeah I heard something terrible related to gymnastics and MSU" and I was kind of like...yeah, so it's actually a whole lot worse than you think...

My DD's gym is also always busy and adding new classes.
But I also agree that many people just don't really know or hear about all the issues. I think I've seen it in mainstream media 2 or 3 times over the past year? Most of what I hear and know is because I am already involved in the gymnastics community.

I think that it is likely that many folks looking or rec classes assume that this sort of thing does not occur at that level and only occurs in the elite scenes. I feel like our classes are full as ever and so many parents still ask about how their kid can try out for/be invited to the team. People assume that the abuse or culture would not affect their kids.

As a result of the new rules implemented by the USAG my DD's gym no longer holds a sleepover event at the gym for the team girls with the coaches. There was never any incidents or complaints by any parents or team members, the gym just didn't feel like it is something that should be held anymore. Other than that I haven't seen any impact on rec or team at our gym, both the rec program and team programs are doing just fine and we aren't in a gymnastics hot bed of any sort.

As a result of the new rules implemented by the USAG my DD's gym no longer holds a sleepover event at the gym for the team girls with the coaches. There was never any incidents or complaints by any parents or team members, the gym just didn't feel like it is something that should be held anymore. Other than that I haven't seen any impact on rec or team at our gym, both the rec program and team programs are doing just fine and we aren't in a gymnastics hot bed of any sort.

Is there a specific rule about this? Sleepover night is the fave event of the year!

Is there a specific rule about this? Sleepover night is the fave event of the year!

Rule D.1 is what they referenced:

One-on-one interactions.
An unrelated Covered Adult shall not be alone with a Minor (a) in a private setting,
and (b) in any place that is inappropriate to the professional relationship (i.e., a social
setting outside the training or competitive environment). A gymnastics activity
conducted within the view and/or earshot of another adult is not considered a oneon-one interaction if it presents a meaningful opportunity for interruption.

The gym basically thought that during a sleepover there is a chance where an adult might be alone in a room with a kid like the kid can't sleep and is out wandering around the gym and that would violate this rule.

No impact around here. I think folks don’t see a local program as anything remotely the same as high level gymnastics. At the rec level. Most kids/parents are wondering if their kids will ever be as good as the kids they see in their gym. Elite and college and Olympics are not on their radar.

Rule D.1 is what they referenced:

One-on-one interactions.
An unrelated Covered Adult shall not be alone with a Minor (a) in a private setting,
and (b) in any place that is inappropriate to the professional relationship (i.e., a social
setting outside the training or competitive environment). A gymnastics activity
conducted within the view and/or earshot of another adult is not considered a oneon-one interaction if it presents a meaningful opportunity for interruption.

The gym basically thought that during a sleepover there is a chance where an adult might be alone in a room with a kid like the kid can't sleep and is out wandering around the gym and that would violate this rule.
Al they have to do is make sure there are 2 adults there.

I think a surprising number of people have not heard about all that has gone on within gymnastics in the US. And for those who have, I think they assume it's just a rec class so nothing to worry about. I think some even tell themselves that those kind of things will never happen to their child because they are careful and diligent. So no, I haven't really seen any change in involvement at the rec levels.
I have been pretty surprised at how little Safe Sport policies are actually referenced in the workplace and how limited (or non existent) changes have been within local gyms. So while some might think canceling a sleepover is excessive, I'm happy to hear that there are gyms taking things seriously.

About to be heaps in Oz.
GymAus is releasing a policy pretty much banning classes with under and over 18’s mixed. This a huge blow to those of us in regional centres. Our senior boys and girls (competitive) are all mixed ages, training together, our TeamGym (rec kids and adults) will be split and our adults, which currently has 2 16yr olds, will be restricted to 18+ and not allowed to even be in the gym with the kids. All as a result of Nassar. It will kill small gyms, or gyms will risk ignoring it. I like D1 better. Much more logical.

About to be heaps in Oz.
GymAus is releasing a policy pretty much banning classes with under and over 18’s mixed. This a huge blow to those of us in regional centres. Our senior boys and girls (competitive) are all mixed ages, training together, our TeamGym (rec kids and adults) will be split and our adults, which currently has 2 16yr olds, will be restricted to 18+ and not allowed to even be in the gym with the kids. All as a result of Nassar. It will kill small gyms, or gyms will risk ignoring it. I like D1 better. Much more logical.
Can you pls link to this policy or information about it?

Wish I could! We’ve only been told about the policy by our coach because we thought it was going to be in affect for term 4, which would affect both the classes I’m in.
I think it has only been released to clubs at the moment. I’d love to read it and give GA some really pointed feedback!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back