Parents Miserable coach is owner’s daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All4thekiddos

Proud Parent
My daughter has been at her gym for 8 years, she adores the gym owner and her teammates but the lack of coaching and motivation has become an issue. She is level 6 - yet again this year.

Looking for help with a difficult conversation. The coach is quite passive aggressive to the group, tells them nobody wants to coach them and doesn’t offer any corrections. She took most of the summer off to vacation with her family and the team girls were left to be coached by either a high school student or a 75 year old gentleman (he’s very sweet but he can’t spot and not motivating!). During pre-season testing she was angry that the girls hadn’t perfected giants...but there was nobody capable of instructing or spotting all summer! Meet season has begun and the team is coached by the 75 year old guy twice a week, high school kid once and then the main coach one day - sometimes - if she feels like, sometimes she switches to a lower level class and has the high school kid take the 6s.

The trouble is the coach is the gym owner’s daughter. Parents in the past have tried to discuss the poor attitude and attention with the owner but it falls on deaf ears. She is demeaning, negative and just downright miserable. There are no other gyms near enough to switch to and for some insane reason my daughter is super loyal to the gym despite the coach. How do I surface all the issues without the owner going into mama bear protection mode over her daughter?

We had a coach whose son was on my son’s team. Not surprisingly, he was mostly interested in coaching his son and let the other boys coach themselves. He also did not like it when the other boys out scored his son in competition. We found a new gym.

We had a very similar situation recently. We left. Others over the years had tried to talk to the coach and also the owner but nothing ever changed. A month into changing gyms and my DD is so much happier now.

My daughter has been at her gym for 8 years, she adores the gym owner and her teammates but the lack of coaching and motivation has become an issue. She is level 6 - yet again this year.

Looking for help with a difficult conversation. The coach is quite passive aggressive to the group, tells them nobody wants to coach them and doesn’t offer any corrections. She took most of the summer off to vacation with her family and the team girls were left to be coached by either a high school student or a 75 year old gentleman (he’s very sweet but he can’t spot and not motivating!). During pre-season testing she was angry that the girls hadn’t perfected giants...but there was nobody capable of instructing or spotting all summer! Meet season has begun and the team is coached by the 75 year old guy twice a week, high school kid once and then the main coach one day - sometimes - if she feels like, sometimes she switches to a lower level class and has the high school kid take the 6s.

The trouble is the coach is the gym owner’s daughter. Parents in the past have tried to discuss the poor attitude and attention with the owner but it falls on deaf ears. She is demeaning, negative and just downright miserable. There are no other gyms near enough to switch to and for some insane reason my daughter is super loyal to the gym despite the coach. How do I surface all the issues without the owner going into mama bear protection mode over her daughter?

Thanks all, I was hoping that someone would have magic words that could help the owner understand but you’ve confirmed my suspicions that it likely won’t make a difference. Frustrating because there are so many good things about the sport I wish the kids in our area could have access to a better experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back