WAG USAG names new CEO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am hopeful, keeping an open mind, and willing to support good-faith efforts in a positive direction.

Still I wonder, when will I truly start believing?
Will it be:

...when she makes it abundantly clear that gymnasts across all disciplines are to be treated, at all times, with respect?

...when the care of USAG's Elite and Developmental gymnasts is undeniably predicated on an evidence-based, cutting-edge, team-of-experts approach?

... when USAG's actions reflect a deep understanding that our athletes are overwhelmingly children.

...when Aly Raisman publicly states she feels that her input, and others' input, is affecting positive change within USAG.

Or will I start to believe in the new CEO simply when I call the membership department at USAG,
and the first option on the telephone tree is no longer:
"To place a merchandise order, please press 1..."

I am cautiously optimistic as well, despite the fact that there has been some backlash from survivors that they weren't consulted about the hire or involved in the process or didn’t have the chance to vet her themselves....while I am sympathetic with them, I just don't know if it is realistic to think that that will ever happen....and at some point, USAG has to appoint a leader and attempt to move forward as an organization.....the other choice is to disband it completely and be done, and I don't know that that is the solution either.

I think we (and I mean the collective "we" of parents, athletes, coaches, gym owners , fans etc) need to look at the LiLi hire and take her at her word , to start, that she wants to reach out to the athletes wronged in the past and to move the organization forward in the future. I get that she's been in NBA administration in the past and there are those who knock that as a pick but heck, the CEO of a large organization, with such issues to be addressed , is not going to be some green newbie like an Aly, Jessie, Kyla, Rachel (or any of the other survivors with zero experience in the business world) but I think there is a segment out there that won't be satisfied until it is.....I think too pending litigation against USAG could limit how involved the survivors can be in the process (although I could be wrong on that)

She has personal experience as an athlete in both college and elite gymnastics. She has been part of running a sports organization that has arguably done a better job than any other in the country of listening to it's athletes and making them part of the process. I don't know if there is anyone with a better resume on earth to tackle this. And for her to leave one of the best jobs in her chosen profession, VP in the NBA, speaks volumes to the calling she must feel.

While I have tremendous respect for the survivors, they can’t expect to have an active day in the decision making of the organization that they are also suing. I imagine there are legal ramifications to communicating with them as well. I did hear that they did poll a variety of people within the sport, including current athletes and some survivors, probably just not the very vocal ones with twitter accounts.

I think it’s great that athletes are using their voice and they should be heard. I’m just afraid that some voices are being given too much power and the few are speaking for the many. We saw the beginnings of division among the survivors with hire of Rhonda at Michigan. To some, it doesn’t matter who USAG hires, they will always find fault with them. They prefer it burn to the ground and no one can blame them. But none of them have given any concrete solutions or laid any groundwork for a new organization.

Li Li appears to be a smart choice. Anyone willing to leave the position that she is currently in to take on this mess clearly has to love the sport. She at least knows and understands the sport and based on her past experience, it looks like she will be able to bring in sponsors that USAG desperately needs. Even Simone pointed that out last round. She’s even talked about hiring child safety advocates and placing them in key positions to protect the athletes, which is where they need to be, not running the company.

I love the fact that she intentionally pursued this job instead of being dragged into it. And she gave up an excellent position for it, so I think she's there for the right reasons. It also sounds like her eyes are open to the shortcomings of USAG on a personal level. All in all I think she's the best they could have hoped for and good on her for being willing to step into a job when she knows how tough a fight it's going to be.

I think there are certain people (some survivors, some lawyers, some fans) who are just angry and are going to stay that way. In terms of survivors I find that totally understandable. I think it's important that their voices stay in the mix so the community doesn't just forget and move along with business as usual. But that also doesn't mean that everyone should revolt against a person who seems like she can help make things better. It's heartening that the majority of the community seems willing to wait and see how it goes. I haven't seen a public response from Aly one way or another, and if she felt like it was the wrong move I've no doubt we would have heard about it.

I am cautiously optimistic as well, despite the fact that there has been some backlash from survivors that they weren't consulted about the hire or involved in the process or didn’t have the chance to vet her themselves....while I am sympathetic with them, I just don't know if it is realistic to think that that will ever happen....and at some point, USAG has to appoint a leader and attempt to move forward as an organization.....the other choice is to disband it completely and be done, and I don't know that that is the solution either.

I think we (and I mean the collective "we" of parents, athletes, coaches, gym owners , fans etc) need to look at the LiLi hire and take her at her word , to start, that she wants to reach out to the athletes wronged in the past and to move the organization forward in the future. I get that she's been in NBA administration in the past and there are those who knock that as a pick but heck, the CEO of a large organization, with such issues to be addressed , is not going to be some green newbie like an Aly, Jessie, Kyla, Rachel (or any of the other survivors with zero experience in the business world) but I think there is a segment out there that won't be satisfied until it is.....I think too pending litigation against USAG could limit how involved the survivors can be in the process (although I could be wrong on that)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there is a real fine line between protecting the brand going forward and empathizing with the survivors. Those looking for the USAG to fall on their sword in the middle of pending litigation are most likely going to be disappointed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back