Parents Kip Frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That was hilarious! Keep in mind though that this is a parent thread for parents to vent to parents and get advice from other gymnastics professionals. We are very aware of our coaches efforts and are just wanting to vent a bit ;) I wouldn’t mind my kid spending a season in xcel silver until her bars and vault caught up, but the training hours are significantly less and she likes going more. Our gym is small enough that they might modify for her. Let her train with level 4s x days and silvers 1 day to work routines. My guess is she’ll get the kip soon. Then lose it, then find it for good. Front hip made the same entrance.

That was hilarious! Keep in mind though that this is a parent thread for parents to vent to parents and get advice from other gymnastics professionals. We are very aware of our coaches efforts and are just wanting to vent a bit ;) I wouldn’t mind my kid spending a season in xcel silver until her bars and vault caught up, but the training hours are significantly less and she likes going more. Our gym is small enough that they might modify for her. Let her train with level 4s x days and silvers 1 day to work routines. My guess is she’ll get the kip soon. Then lose it, then find it for good. Front hip made the same entrance.
He was a gym parent also.

I made my daughter a bar out of PVC pipe. Was very cheap (around $40) and fast to make. She practiced on it alllllll the time until she got it.

irrevant. If PVC were safe to swing on then we would swing on it. But its not. Doubt you had a 4 inch mat under her either... so please don't suggest it to others. Thanks...

Had a bar in between the pipes so it wouldn’t break, and I can suggest what I want, like me and everyone else on here is grown enough to make their own decisions. I also had a Air mattress under. Coach your daughter or in your gym. Don’t try and coach me

Had a bar in between the pipes so it wouldn’t break, and I can suggest what I want, like me and everyone else on here is grown enough to make their own decisions. I also had a Air mattress under. Coach your daughter or in your gym. Don’t try and coach me
PVC is extremely slick . And an air mattress has rebound and should not be used as a crash pad . You have no idea what you are doing and I have every right to point that out to other parents so they don’t make the same poor decisions.

irrevant. If PVC were safe to swing on then we would swing on it. But its not. Doubt you had a 4 inch mat under her either... so please don't suggest it to others. Thanks...
Not advocating the home equipment by any means, but sounds like he made a strap bar. Isn’t PVC what most strap bars use?

We have the jr kip bar held down by sand bags with a 2 inch mat under it but on carpet. The bar is not the same though as it doesn’t bend and provide the gymnast and rebound so I think it’s harder. Mostly she just does pull ups and toe touches on it ;)

Reactions: sce
Crash for what working on a kip? I need to take a accident course for a bar that was 4 1/2 feet off the ground lmao. Stop it you’re taking this way to serious, the parent asked a question and I responded what helped my kid. I didn’t ask for your to try and sign me up for a class

JMO from lessons learned around here and at our gym.......................

Gymnastics belongs in the gym with the coaches.

Skills come in time with help from the coaches.

Equipment at home, pull up bar, rice bucket.

Only things that should be done at home. Conditioning. Perhaps review routines (walk through and video).

Regarding a kip as said previously, time, time, time.

What should we as parents do. Beyond tell them they will get it. Wait it out and perhaps that lean thing.

And wine, based solely on personal experience.

Beyond the danger aspect there are other reasons it's not ideal to work skills at home. With kips if a gymnast is really eager to get it and tries a million times on home equipment they can start developing bad habits like throwing their head back or tossing form out the window in an effort to just get on top of the bar. You're better off asking the coach for specific strength exercises that'll help with kips and letting your gymnast work on those if they're really eager to work on it between practices. My DD's made her kip a few times but it's not consistent yet, and our coaches are very specific about not practicing them anywhere but the gym.

Crash for what working on a kip? I need to take a accident course for a bar that was 4 1/2 feet off the ground lmao. Stop it you’re taking this way to serious, the parent asked a question and I responded what helped my kid. I didn’t ask for your to try and sign me up for a class
............ um yes. And if you have even set a broken and dislocated elbow from a fall off the low bar then you would probably not be (lmao). if you even seen a child peel off on a kip and catch the bar in the rib cage then flip to the back of her neck on the LOW BAR, you would not be (LMAO). If you have even seen a child kip cast and flip forward over the bar, smack her shins, then put her arms out breaking one or both of them, you would not be (LMAO). I can assure you of that.... But hey.. what do I know, I am only a coach with tons of experience, set dozens of broken bones, and have actually taken these courses..... And you are doing it on a PVC BAR !!!!!! Boy you sure told me.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back