Parents Coaching changes/no level change

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good point! I agree with this in theory but they moved other girls up that can't kip yet even. So I would expect consistent treatment. But you could be correct nonetheless since she didn't make the move up cut a month ago. I'm going to watch and be patient and see how things unfold.

If she has only just gotten the level 4 skills in the last few weeks, it is quite normal for coaches to be hesitant to move her up. With skills that are fairly new, gymnast may lose them just as easily. They may want to see that she can do them for a period of time, to ensure she really has those skills before committing to allow her to compete at that level.

Ok, will do. Even though my gymnast doesn't want to move it could be a better fit.

As you wait for the new coach, I would definitely investigate other gyms. Search CB for how to look for a new gym using your super secret spy skills ( and I’m really not kidding). Bottom line, you need to be prepared to make a tough decision and it would be better for everyone to do it sooner rather than later. Do NOT let your current gym know that you are exploring other options.

Many many many parents on CB have said that their child doesn’t want to change gyms, until they actually change gyms and are so much happier and wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.

When it’s time to go very few parents say they regret the change.

Many many many parents on CB have said that their child doesn’t want to change gyms, until they actually change gyms and are so much happier and wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.

When it’s time to go very few parents say they regret the change.
Totally agree! My dd really didn't want to change gyms but she finally realized that it was the best thing for her. She's been there a year now. She loves the new gym and has made many friends. Neither of us regret changing.

Good point! I agree with this in theory but they moved other girls up that can't kip yet even. So I would expect consistent treatment. But you could be correct nonetheless since she didn't make the move up cut a month ago. I'm going to watch and be patient and see how things unfold.
A ramble here
You simply cannot compare one gymnast to another. It’s more then a kip.

All our level 8s have had different paths to get to level 8 and they all score and have scored in the same ball park in Level 4-8

My daughter actually out scored her teammates by a point and a half in L3. She had a gorgeous mill circle that has never been seen since. But it got her great scores in L3. She had the weakest kip in L4 but kept up. Was weak in bars and stayed L5 then L6. while the rest of the girls went 6/7. Which at first I didn’t understand because she “had” the skills same as the rest of the girls mostly. And she needed development on bars, and L5 gave her that. There was more then just bars that helped her strength in L5 that she wouldn’t have gotten going to 6. And it certainly didn’t look like the gym was consistent or fair. But they were fair they placed my kid where she needed to be. They are now all L8 and she has the second best bars and will probably be neck and neck with her teammate this season.

It really is about what skills are they doing. What drills to lay the foundation for future skills. And is that ongoing even during the season to some degree.

There is no consistent path.....

And when our old gym was upping the hours when my kid was 7 to an amount I thought was too much.......I moved her. She was very upset. She had been with the kids and coach since Mommy and me at 2. I moved her anyway. It was tough for her. It was tough for me to watch. She loves her current gymmies and she is long over the move. And if something changed at this gym and I felt it wasn’t a good fit. I’d move her without hesitation.

JMO I’d be more concerned with the fact that level decisions are made before the off season/focused uptraining time had barely started. That alone would be reason for me to look elsewhere. But that’s me.

If you don’t trust or feel at peace where your kid is, then your kid won’t either.

Thank you all. I clearly still have more to learn as a parent in this sport. It's an emotional roller coaster that I don't like. Rereading your comments, I see my options and what might be appropriate responses.

A ramble here
You simply cannot compare one gymnast to another. It’s more then a kip.

All our level 8s have had different paths to get to level 8 and they all score and have scored in the same ball park in Level 4-8

My daughter actually out scored her teammates by a point and a half in L3. She had a gorgeous mill circle that has never been seen since. But it got her great scores in L3. She had the weakest kip in L4 but kept up. Was weak in bars and stayed L5 then L6. while the rest of the girls went 6/7. Which at first I didn’t understand because she “had” the skills same as the rest of the girls mostly. And she needed development on bars, and L5 gave her that. There was more then just bars that helped her strength in L5 that she wouldn’t have gotten going to 6. And it certainly didn’t look like the gym was consistent or fair. But they were fair they placed my kid where she needed to be. They are now all L8 and she has the second best bars and will probably be neck and neck with her teammate this season.

It really is about what skills are they doing. What drills to lay the foundation for future skills. And is that ongoing even during the season to some degree.

There is no consistent path.....

And when our old gym was upping the hours when my kid was 7 to an amount I thought was too much.......I moved her. She was very upset. She had been with the kids and coach since Mommy and me at 2. I moved her anyway. It was tough for her. It was tough for me to watch. She loves her current gymmies and she is long over the move. And if something changed at this gym and I felt it wasn’t a good fit. I’d move her without hesitation.

JMO I’d be more concerned with the fact that level decisions are made before the off season/focused uptraining time had barely started. That alone would be reason for me to look elsewhere. But that’s me.

If you don’t trust or feel at peace where your kid is, then your kid won’t either.

Let's say she repeats 3. If I understand you correctly, she would go to a new coach for level 4, right? How old is she? What are her goals?

I see a lot of red flags here too and won't restate them as 2G1B put them perfectly.
If she's younger and hopes to train toward college or elite gymnastics, I would look for another gym. Previous poster was right, she'll never want to leave. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to achieve her goals. It'll be even harder in a gym with a high coach turnover rate. And actually, I'd probably look for another gym regardless of her goals. If you're seeing red flags too, please please follow your gut. Your gut is right.

Yes, it would concern me that your kid's new coach has never coached level 4 and up. I understand that all coaches have to start somewhere, but as a btdt, I prefer my kid have coaches experienced at a higher level than she's training. Coaches needing experience at higher levels can learn with other kids. Yes, that sounds harsh, but we paid those dues for 4 years (4 coaching changes in 4 years, 3 of which were not-to-level coaches who were learning on their own as they went).. and actually it's 4 years and counting as it takes a long time to overcome the results of my bad decision to keep trusting a gym despite all the red flags. A lesser experience coach could be ok with the right kind of coaching team, but unless your gym has a cohesive, team-based coaching system with hands-on training for new coaches.. and looking at all those red flags, I honestly would look for a new gym.

Regarding leaving when your kid doesn't want to....last year, before the season started, so late summer/early fall, I wanted to change gyms (for many reasons). My daughter did not...wanted to stay with her friends. I tried again just before Christmas to get her to change-still she refused. By mid-February, she was crying and begging me to change gyms due to frustration, but by that point we just had to ride the season out. We changed in April and love the new gym, but we both regret the last year we wasted at the old gym. I have told her that if I feel we need to make that decision again, I will make it and she will not have a say. That sounds terribly mean, but we both had a terrible last year....stressful, disappointing, etc and I won’t do it again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back