Parents Idiots guide to NCAA recruiting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Many students go to University direct from high school in the UK, and abroad. I know this because I run a university parents group. Lets of 17 year olds arrive at McGill (montreal) each year. It really depends on the child's grades. I cannot imagine other universities being much different.

Thank you so much everyone, we now have a plan of sorts. Glad we started researching now!

Happy to say as well it seems to have given DD a new purpose and motivation after a pretty crappy couple of months where she was starting to wonder if there was any point. Me also to be honest :)

Thanks @gymgal for that link, very useful . Also @Aussie_coach - GCSE's are 8 subjects so OK for now, but it will give us something to find out before she chooses A'level subjects.

@bogwoppit she did mention Montreal the other day as obviously it's a fantastic program. She hasn't taken French though so that would be something to think about.

Hi Faith,

We went through the NCAA process and requested information regarding grades and eligibility. Which university you are considering will depend on the academics required for admission, some will accept only GCSE's whilst more academic colleges will want A Levels. The academic eligibility for NCAA is 5 GCSE passes in separate subjects (this may exclude PE) if you leave school after year 11. If you continue onto 6th form and only do AS levels you must pass 2, if you do full A levels you must also pass 2. How far you go with academics appears to be a choice based on which university you want to go to! EG we spoke to Rutgers and they were happy to accept at 16 with only GCSE's - UC Berkley however wanted good GCSE and A Level results. You also need to register with the NCAA eligibility centre to meet the eligibility (academic and amateur) requirements.

This email response we received from NCAA might be of some benefit to you.

All the requirements for academic eligibility can be found here - http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/International_Information/International_Guide.pdf

Hope some of this helps.

With regard to recruiting we filled out the online recruiting questionnaires, sent an introductory email (from my daughter) then followed up a few weeks later with a phone call. Although the coaches cannot reply to emails or call you until she reaches year 12 you can speak to them if you call them and they answer the phone. This may seem simple but in reality trying to catch a coach in the office at a time you and your daughter are available to talk can be quite challenging given the time difference. Although I had a number of conversations with coaches due to my daughter either being in school or at training during the times we managed to get through on the phone she did manage to have a few conversations in the car on the way to training! Coaches like to get a feel for the athlete far more than chat to the parent.

If you need any more help feel free to DM me :)

Also - all the coaches contact details can be found on the college sports website under 'athletic department' then 'staff directory'. Some colleges put contact information on their main gymnastics page under 'athletes/staff' but not all do this.

With regard to recruiting we filled out the online recruiting questionnaires, sent an introductory email (from my daughter) then followed up a few weeks later with a phone call. Although the coaches cannot reply to emails or call you until she reaches year 12 you can speak to them if you call them and they answer the phone. This may seem simple but in reality trying to catch a coach in the office at a time you and your daughter are available to talk can be quite challenging given the time difference. Although I had a number of conversations with coaches due to my daughter either being in school or at training during the times we managed to get through on the phone she did manage to have a few conversations in the car on the way to training! Coaches like to get a feel for the athlete far more than chat to the parent.

If you need any more help feel free to DM me :)

Also - all the coaches contact details can be found on the college sports website under 'athletic department' then 'staff directory'. Some colleges put contact information on their main gymnastics page under 'athletes/staff' but not all do this.
No calls now until after sophomore year

Thanks @UGA2016, very helpful :)

Thanks for posting the q+A, answered a lot- does any one know what the "penalties" are for not starting within 12 m of graduation? What if she wanted to take a year out for example if she were offered full time training here? I know deferring is quite common here, but that's without scholarships.

Her GCSE/core subjects seem OK, it seems bizarre they can go to college at 16 with GCSE's only!

I see stuff about verbal commitment, NLI etc, how binding are those?

I'm also now helping out a teammate of DD's who is turning 17 this year and also disillusioned with GB, got really good GCSE grades so in looking at Uni's now. I've said to do a youtube channel, shown them how to find coach emails etc and camp information. They're both hoping to visit some camps as they'd love to go together.

She now has five of the top Div 1 coaches following - some kind soul here sent me the links to find which colleges qualified to finals so I've targeted them on social media which seems to be working :)

This may help

AgeUK Year (England Only)U.S. Level
3 to 4 years----Pre-Kindergarten (Preschool)
4 to 5 yearsReceptionPre-Kindergarten (Preschool)
5 to 6 yearsYear 1 - Infants School - Primary SchoolKindergarten (Elementary School)
6 to 7 yearsYear 21st Grade (Elementary School)
7 to 8 yearsYear 3 - Junior School - Primary School2nd Grade
8 to 9 yearsYear 43rd Grade
9 to 10 yearsYear 54th Grade
10 to 11 yearsYear 65th Grade
11 to 12 yearsYear 7 - Secondary School6th Grade - Middle School
12 to 13 yearsYear 87th Grade
13 to 14 yearsYear 98th Grade
14 to 15 yearsYear 109th Grade (Freshman) - High School
15 to 16 yearsYear 1110th Grade (Sophomore)
16 to 17 yearsYear 12 (6th Form, 'lower 6th')11th Grade (Junior Year)
17 to 18 yearsYear 13 (6th Form, 'Upper 6th')12th Grade (Senior Year)

My daughter is also looking into NCAA although we haven't even begun the process (she is in UK Year 11 (US Year 10) and expecting to study in the UK to year 13 (US year 12). Can she study any subjects or are there some subjects that aren't compatible. She wants to do something in the medical field.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back