WAG NCAA’s new recruiting rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
So I’ll probably regret posting this, but it seems the new rule about when colleges can make an offer to gymnasts isn’t being followed. In the past week, I’ve seen several commitment announcements for gymnasts in grades 7, 8, and 9. Seventh grade!!? So anyone who has the inside scoop, is the new rule a hard and fast rule or just a suggested guideline?

So I’ll probably regret posting this, but it seems the new rule about when colleges can make an offer to gymnasts isn’t being followed. In the past week, I’ve seen several commitment announcements for gymnasts in grades 7, 8, and 9. Seventh grade!!? So anyone who has the inside scoop, is the new rule a hard and fast rule or just a suggested guideline?
They probably had the offers prior to the new rules being in place. I am surprised about the 7th grader though, because that would mean she had the offer in 6th grade, which seems really unlikely. May I ask where these gymnasts committed to or where you saw the announcements? I haven't seen anyone that young. There have been a lot of commitments this month though, pretty fun.

Gy
They probably had the offers prior to the new rules being in place. I am surprised about the 7th grader though, because that would mean she had the offer in 6th grade, which seems really unlikely. May I ask where these gymnasts committed to or where you saw the announcements? I haven't seen anyone that young. There have been a lot of commitments this month though, pretty fun.
Gymdivasus on Instagram posts them frequently, and today posted a girl going to Missouri and her Instagram says 2025. They also posted one going to LSU and another to Auburn and their class is 2024.

Gy

Gymdivasus on Instagram posts them frequently, and today posted a girl going to Missouri and her Instagram says 2025. They also posted one going to LSU and another to Auburn and their class is 2024.
Easy explanation, that's the year they graduate from college. 2024 is class of 2020, so they are high school seniors. The 2025 is a junior. There have been a lot of commits in those class years the last few weeks.

Easy explanation, that's the year they graduate from college. 2024 is class of 2020, so they are high school seniors. The 2025 is a junior. There have been a lot of commits in those class years the last few weeks.
Who posts the year they graduate from college? Everyone posts their HS grad year or the first year of their commit, why would they confuse it?

Who posts the year they graduate from college? Everyone posts their HS grad year or the first year of their commit, why would they confuse it?
They all do if they're still in high school, usually they state their name (Istaname) and current class, then it's their college and college grad year, ie., Mizzou '25. We're deep into it, so I've seen my daughter and all her friends do it that way. Just excitement for the future.

I got tripped up on that recently. I saw a boy from a local gym commit and was listed as class of 2025, and couldn't believe how mature he looked compared to my dd who graduates high school that year. Finally figured out it was the year he graduates college.

I got tripped up on that recently. I saw a boy from a local gym commit and was listed as class of 2025, and couldn't believe how mature he looked compared to my dd who graduates high school that year. Finally figured out it was the year he graduates college.

A junior boy that committed? In gymnastics? that is RARE! most seniors are just now committing!!!

Okay, so you're right- I just double checked and he does graduate hs in 2020, so it must have listed class of 2024, and I still thought he looked so much older than my daughter who graduates hs the following year. Sorry for the confusion!

Okay, so you're right- I just double checked and he does graduate hs in 2020, so it must have listed class of 2024, and I still thought he looked so much older than my daughter who graduates hs the following year. Sorry for the confusion!
It is all so confusing! Then you throw in some sources that use the competition year to list the commits, ie., a 2020 high school senior is listed as 2021 because that is the season she will start competing. It's inconsistent, so it's good to have a source like this to refer to keep it straight! Happy Halloween!

That's interesting. The top junior in the country this year hasn't committed yet
He may not have made his visits yet. What we saw this summer/fall is that some juniors took unofficial visits and others official visits. I think it makes a huge difference to a recruit to take that visit. It made quite an impression on my gymnast and she pretty much flipped her decision, just really liked her future teammates and what the composition of the team would be, which is not something you see at camps, etc. Also, you get more time to speak with the coaches and see the everyday college life. We have a senior gymnast on the national team that took officials this year and just made a decision as a senior, and again the visit made the difference.

Ah ok. That makes sense

He may not have made his visits yet. What we saw this summer/fall is that some juniors took unofficial visits and others official visits. I think it makes a huge difference to a recruit to take that visit. It made quite an impression on my gymnast and she pretty much flipped her decision, just really liked her future teammates and what the composition of the team would be, which is not something you see at camps, etc. Also, you get more time to speak with the coaches and see the everyday college life. We have a senior gymnast on the national team that took officials this year and just made a decision as a senior, and again the visit made the difference.

Talking boys....very different. Boys in general, do not sign until senior year. It makes this season super exciting!

So i saw a class of 2022 kid commit to MSU. Graduating early? Or how else does that happen with the new rules?

that one is not graduating early, she was offered before the rule change and she is just now deciding she wants to accept the offer....supposedly she called and left message accepting offer on their voicemail. Her sister is a freshman at MSU so I’m sure there was some information exchange that way as well (though I’m sure it would be denied lol)

that one is not graduating early, she was offered before the rule change and she is just now deciding she wants to accept the offer....supposedly she called and left message accepting offer on their voicemail. Her sister is a freshman at MSU so I’m sure there was some information exchange that way as well (though I’m sure it would be denied lol)
Ah. Gotcha. I was confused but congrats to her!

When we think, speak, print when my kid graduates HS she is the class of 2024. We have pics of that as far back as her Kindy orientation. And those pics of lots of kids are in their middle school moving up ceremony.

When they commit to colleges it’s class of the year they graduate college. the kids I see committing on our HS pages graduating HS this year are class of 2024 to their soon to be college.

Mine would be 2028 and she is not going to do gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back