WAG Puberty

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momma Bear

Proud Parent
My daughter is a 1st year level 9 and will be a very low level 9, really an 8 1/2, lol. She has always been very successful but is struggling lately, especially with bars. She got her period about 9 months ago and probably gained about 20-25 pounds in the past year and grew a little taller. I know all of this makes for relearning skills and difficulty with gymnastics. My daughter’s favorite event has always been bars. Now, she really can’t even do her level 8 bar routine successfully. She says her tap is off in her giant. She also had to change them because she was close to hitting the bar. My questions are; how long does it usually take girls to recover from all of this, are there girls that can never overcome it, what are some things I can do/say to help support her?

Her coach is being very supportive and says she’s still working hard everyday. I think he’s worried she’ll get frustrated also. He says we just need to keep reminding her to be patient.

Thanks for your help! Sorry for rambling!

My daughter’s coach says to expect a six month adjustment period for a large growth spurt, give or take depending on the kid. As you note with your daughter, she says bars is usually the hardest adjustment because of the big change in center of gravity.

My daughter lost her flexibility and amplitude on leaps and jumps with puberty. At under 100lbs she is in no way overweight, but the extra 20 lbs that came with puberty seem to be weighing her down. I keep hoping it will return, but it's been almost 2 years and my once beautiful floor and beam worker is still a mess, although the tumbling is still great.

My daughter is a 1st year level 9 and will be a very low level 9, really an 8 1/2, lol. She has always been very successful but is struggling lately, especially with bars. She got her period about 9 months ago and probably gained about 20-25 pounds in the past year and grew a little taller. I know all of this makes for relearning skills and difficulty with gymnastics. My daughter’s favorite event has always been bars. Now, she really can’t even do her level 8 bar routine successfully. She says her tap is off in her giant. She also had to change them because she was close to hitting the bar. My questions are; how long does it usually take girls to recover from all of this, are there girls that can never overcome it, what are some things I can do/say to help support her?

Her coach is being very supportive and says she’s still working hard everyday. I think he’s worried she’ll get frustrated also. He says we just need to keep reminding her to be patient.

Same! Thank you for asking this. My daughter has always been extremely tiny and still is tiny, but grew about 4 inches or so, gained 20 pounds, and started her period. She just now appears to be adjusting fairly well to the growth spurt, and I would say it’s taken a good six months. It does make things a little bit harder, but it is also my understanding that they are a bit less prone to injury after puberty. Good luck!

My daughter lost her flexibility and amplitude on leaps and jumps with puberty. At under 100lbs she is in no way overweight, but the extra 20 lbs that came with puberty seem to be weighing her down. I keep hoping it will return, but it's been almost 2 years and my once beautiful floor and beam worker is still a mess, although the tumbling is still great.
Yes! Definitely having to work on flexibility whereas before she was a naturally flexible kid.

Yes! She’s lost flexibility also. My daughter was also very tiny and now weighs close to 100 lbs and just turned 15.

Same! Thank you for asking this. My daughter has always been extremely tiny and still is tiny, but grew about 4 inches or so, gained 20 pounds, and started her period. She just now appears to be adjusting fairly well to the growth spurt, and I would say it’s taken a good six months. It does make things a little bit harder, but it is also my understanding that they are a bit less prone to injury after puberty. Good luck!

I guess there’s one good thing if they are less prone to injury! Thanks for your reply. Hopefully, there’s hope for my daughter. Best of luck to your daughter!

My daughter’s coach says to expect a six month adjustment period for a large growth spurt, give or take depending on the kid. As you note with your daughter, she says bars is usually the hardest adjustment because of the big change in center of gravity.

Thanks for replying. That’s good to know.

My experience is that as soon as the the fastest phase of the growth spurt is over it takes probably 6-8 months to get back on track. To get giants back takes usually a lot of hard work, sweat and sometimes a few tears.

My dd is 15 and over the last couple of years has gone from always being the tiny one to now being the tallest girl in her Gym. I would say she went from about 4’10 to 5’4 and 110 pounds. Also with significant body shape changes. She has suffered through several injuries and pain issues due to growth and is still not out the other end, although things seem to be settling down. I think she is pretty much done growing now So hopefully her body will relax and settle into a new normal.

She lost basically 2 level 10 seasons and it has been so hard on her. Sometimes I don’t know how she keeps going. She is so strong!

Anyway, bars has definitely been the most effected. She has lost and got back and lost again skill after skill. Her Jaeger and giant full come and go like the wind and now her pak has gone wonky. Luckily this new height and power she can access has improved her vaulting and tumbling. She definitely has to work harder at flexibility now but she does extra work on it and again her booty power has improved her leaps and jumps.

I was worried about her height being an issue. According to her doctor and growth charts she should have topped out at about 5’2” so my worry is that she would just get too tall for all this. But her coach told me that the fact that she can still do multiple press handstands in a row is a good sign she will come out with her gymnastics intact. I have no idea why this would be, he says crazy things sometimes but I trust him.

It really is a matter of keeping them in and engaged at this point which on some days can be so hard. Being 15 doesn’t help. Geez, such drama. Everything seems like the end of the world and some days it is just about getting her in the car and getting her to take her vitamins.

I certainly don’t want her to keep doing something that makes her miserable or that is harming her body or is too much pain to handle. It’s hard to know some days where she is at. I am not in her body and she isn’t talking. But I also don’t want her to give up what she loves and has worked her whole life for just to hang out with some boy or go to the mall with her friends. This age is a hard balance.

For now, she keeps saying she still loves it deep down if not always every day. I try to remind her that I believe it is likely very true that almost every gymnast if asked after they finished would say there was a period of time that they honestly didn’t know if they could keep going and contemplated giving it up. This is all normal and age appropriate.

Thanks OP for this question. this is a hard time and I am glad to know I am not the only one.

My dd is 15 and over the last couple of years has gone from always being the tiny one to now being the tallest girl in her Gym. I would say she went from about 4’10 to 5’4 and 110 pounds. Also with significant body shape changes. She has suffered through several injuries and pain issues due to growth and is still not out the other end, although things seem to be settling down. I think she is pretty much done growing now So hopefully her body will relax and settle into a new normal.

She lost basically 2 level 10 seasons and it has been so hard on her. Sometimes I don’t know how she keeps going. She is so strong!

Anyway, bars has definitely been the most effected. She has lost and got back and lost again skill after skill. Her Jaeger and giant full come and go like the wind and now her pak has gone wonky. Luckily this new height and power she can access has improved her vaulting and tumbling. She definitely has to work harder at flexibility now but she does extra work on it and again her booty power has improved her leaps and jumps.

I was worried about her height being an issue. According to her doctor and growth charts she should have topped out at about 5’2” so my worry is that she would just get too tall for all this. But her coach told me that the fact that she can still do multiple press handstands in a row is a good sign she will come out with her gymnastics intact. I have no idea why this would be, he says crazy things sometimes but I trust him.

It really is a matter of keeping them in and engaged at this point which on some days can be so hard. Being 15 doesn’t help. Geez, such drama. Everything seems like the end of the world and some days it is just about getting her in the car and getting her to take her vitamins.

I certainly don’t want her to keep doing something that makes her miserable or that is harming her body or is too much pain to handle. It’s hard to know some days where she is at. I am not in her body and she isn’t talking. But I also don’t want her to give up what she loves and has worked her whole life for just to hang out with some boy or go to the mall with her friends. This age is a hard balance.

For now, she keeps saying she still loves it deep down if not always every day. I try to remind her that I believe it is likely very true that almost every gymnast if asked after they finished would say there was a period of time that they honestly didn’t know if they could keep going and contemplated giving it up. This is all normal and age appropriate.

Thanks OP for this question. this is a hard time and I am glad to know I am not the only one.

My daughter just turned 15 also! Must be the age, lol. I think mine will grow a little more still, but hopefully not quite as drastic next time.

I totally agree with you. They are so tough and this is such a crazy sport to keep up with at this age.

Best of luck with your girl! Thanks for commiserating with me!! So good to know what they go through is “normal” and others struggle with it as well.

Ok just need to vent for a moment.

Puberty, well, it sucks .....14 yr old first year level 9. Constant Growth last 3 months in height now causing havoc. Overshoot not returned and now beam series seems to have joined it. I only know cause our non communication coach actually communicated, my kid just silence...who knows what will be at this point. Seems like all the hard work for the last few months just heading south and I feel bad for my kid.

Year #8 of this stuff and one month till first meet and ugh I am beyond weary before it all even starts. Oh and add the snow to the already hour commute.....

Puberty, well, it sucks .....14 yr old first year level 9. Constant Growth last 3 months in height now causing havoc. Overshoot not returned and now beam series seems to have joined it. I only know cause our non communication coach actually communicated, my kid just silence...who knows what will be at this point. Seems like all the hard work for the last few months just heading south and I feel bad for my kid.

Year #8 of this stuff and one month till first meet and ugh I am beyond weary before it all even starts. Oh and add the snow to the already hour commute.....

Ugh this! I feel your pain as we are in a similar situation. Growth spurts and injuries seem have wreaked havoc on my once confident gymnast. I am weary also. Hope we all see light at the end of the tunnel soon. Sending your and your daughter positive vibes!

Yes to everything everyone else has said. My 14 year old packed it in after her 2nd season of level 9. She's 5'8" and had had enough.

So sorry your kiddo has to deal with all this stress. Best of luck to both of you this season!

As parents, coaches, gym owners etc we are in a position to be mentors to these young girls and they can read our attitudes. We know the detrimental impact puberty can have on a child’s gymnastics, but if we allow ourselves to have a negative attitude about puberty then the kids pick up on it. This can promote eating disorders as kids try to stave off puberty.

If we focus on the positives of puberty, it will help our gymnasts to do the same. For a start it means the kids are healthy and developing as they should do. The bones strengthen as the growth plates close, which can reduce the risk of impact injuries. The muscles have the potential to develop more adult strength. Certain skills are easier with a little extra height like many low to high bar flight skills.

As parents, coaches, gym owners etc we are in a position to be mentors to these young girls and they can read our attitudes. We know the detrimental impact puberty can have on a child’s gymnastics, but if we allow ourselves to have a negative attitude about puberty then the kids pick up on it. This can promote eating disorders as kids try to stave off puberty.

If we focus on the positives of puberty, it will help our gymnasts to do the same. For a start it means the kids are healthy and developing as they should do. The bones strengthen as the growth plates close, which can reduce the risk of impact injuries. The muscles have the potential to develop more adult strength. Certain skills are easier with a little extra height like many low to high bar flight skills.
Oh I agree! But privately, as a parent? It sucks. Lol. Gotta love hormones...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back