Parents Vault what in the world do they look for

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
After many years the parent of a gymnast (or gymnasts as it were) I usually can watch an event and have a relatively good idea of where the routine will score. Except that is, on vault! Still after watching 11 years of competition I still do not understand how vaults score what they do. I am talking specifically now for level 6 and 7 tsuk and yurchenko timers. Please please explain what judges look for :)

There is an earlier thread about these vaults that include a couple of videos. The videos help explain what the judges are looking for. The thread is titled "Please help me understand these new vaults". Could be helpful to watch the videos. I thought they were informative.

Even though there are clear standards for what they are looking for i think judges are still getting used to judging it as well. I have seen inconsitencies in how its judged/scored. The meet we were at this weekend I thought they judged the tsuk with much higher scores than the yurchenko--even a very nice clean yurchenko was scoring pretty low and some of the tsuk timers were not as clean (in my opinion) but were scoring higher anyway. I know from talking to parents last year too that vault in general scored pretty low the first year they had the new vaults. I think it may just be a bit of a learning curve and in time things will get a bit more consistent...but then again its gymastics scoring is never terribly consistent from meet to meet you just have to hope its consistent for the session you're in.

No one knows! On the one hand, I like the vault change because I think it makes for an easier transition to level 8. But the scoring is crazy. I have seen the same child score a 9.4 on a vault at one meet and then go to a different meet and get an 8.8. I am not a judge but the vaults look pretty similar to me. My own child last year at the state meet on level 6 had a full .6 difference between two judges. They throw out the highest and lowest score at state meet, but that is a huge difference! And I looked at the videos myself last year and had a rough time seeing the difference between the 8.8 vaults and the 9.2 vaults. Unless it was way off or incredibly amazing, I just cannot tell the difference.

Another thing to remember is that even though it’s the second year for these vaults, they changed quite a few of the judging criteria so it’s a learning curve all over again. For example, there is now an up to 0.3 deduction for “failure to generate rotation.” This roughly translates to “does the judge think this kid could flip this vault.”

Another thing to remember is that even though it’s the second year for these vaults, they changed quite a few of the judging criteria so it’s a learning curve all over again. For example, there is now an up to 0.3 deduction for “failure to generate rotation.” This roughly translates to “does the judge think this kid could flip this vault.”
That’s a cool video. I think it’s better than the one they put out last year. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back