WAG landing problems on double backs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi,
I hope I find some help here.
One of my gymnasts can"t land the double back. She says she can't see the floor. Right now she is doing them off the trampoline on a soft mat but she always lands on her back, so 2,5 basically. In my opinion most gymnasts don"t really SEE the floor. What suggestion do you all have ?

In my opinion most gymnasts don"t really SEE the floor. What suggestion do you all have ?

I believe that is incorrect when it comes to double backs. There are skills with blind landings where you really can’t see the floor before landing. But you need to see the floor so you know when to open up to prepare for the landing. Your gymnast sounds like she is getting lost in the air and doesn’t know when to open back. She‘s also probably just doing 1 1/2s.

Double backs need to be trained by experienced coaches. There are also drills you will need to introduce to your gymnast.

You need to be very careful with double backs, as there is a high chance of injuring your head/neck if a gymnast isn't ready. If your gymnast is saying she doesn't know where she is in the air, then she might need some more aerial awareness training. Things like connecting backtucks and front tucks in a row on a tramp, doing back tucks to her back (1 1/2), and back kabooms to her back as well can help with that. Also, don't be afraid to get second opinions from other coaches as to when a gymnast is ready for a skill!

Are you saying she doesn't know where she is in the air at all, or just that she has "soft legs" on her landing?

It took me a LONG time to learn to land my Tsuk. I had soft legs when i landed (and then would roll to my back), because, which I knew approximately where I was in the air, I wasn't sure enough to land with strong legs. Once I figured it out and did it once, it wasn't a problem again.

I believe that is incorrect when it comes to double backs. There are skills with blind landings where you really can’t see the floor before landing. But you need to see the floor so you know when to open up to prepare for the landing. Your gymnast sounds like she is getting lost in the air and doesn’t know when to open back. She‘s also probably just doing 1 1/2s.

Double backs need to be trained by experienced coaches. There are also drills you will need to introduce to your gymnast.

The above post has multiple typographical errors. Sometimes my fingers can’t keep up with my mind. To rephrase the above post to make more coherent,

“I believe that is incorrect when it comes to double backs. There are skills with blind landings where you really can’t see the floor before landing. But you need to see the floor when performing double backs so you know when to open up to prepare for the landing. Your gymnast sounds like she is getting lost in the air and doesn’t know when to open [back] up. She‘s also probably just doing 1 1/2s.

Double backs need to be trained by experienced coaches. There are also drills you will need to introduce to your gymnast. Honestly, I think either your gymnast is not ready for the skill or you may not be ready to coach it,

Thanks for the input. I‘ve trained back tucks. With her I am still on a tampolin. She is doing 2,5 twists on floor with perfect landing. Twisting isn‘t a problem. She does back tucks to the stand on floor. We do timers on the back, awesome. She could do 3 tucks if I let her on tramp. Hight is no problem.
like I said she doesn‘t know aka see when toopen.
We are working on her head position, timers...She used to do them but was injured for months and just started them after 8 months.
Any ideas ?

Double backs are definitely easier to land when you spot the landing on both flips -- that is, glance it briefly at the end of the first flip, then see it again before landing. Maybe do some in a belt, or into a pit, so she can slow them down? *shrug*

But some kids are just natural twisters and are uncomfortable with multiple saltos. How badly does she need the double back if she has a solid back 2.5 twist? I mean, would you be able to build the necessary difficulty with just twisting and connections?

Trampoline, numbers, she also may be compressing on the last flip instead of setting up the landing. Here is what I tell my kids... JUST LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. Posture etc... Most kids look like they are about to die on the landing , so forcing them to be brave and hold posture, helps a great deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back