WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, I knew that about the intent of the cancellations, but I am curious if the governer will put an end date on it? Because if in two months Washington is facing a crisis in their hospitals (since we know the horse is out of the barn already and the time for these bans was a month ago), I don't really see them saying "go back to having your gatherings."

They are canceling the Houston Rodeo and now $h!t is really real. I never thought that would happen, regardless of how prudent it would be.

Yes, I knew that about the intent of the cancellations, but I am curious if the governer will put an end date on it? Because if in two months Washington is facing a crisis in their hospitals (since we know the horse is out of the barn already and the time for these bans was a month ago), I don't really see them saying "go back to having your gatherings."

They are canceling the Houston Rodeo and now $h!t is really real. I never thought that would happen, regardless of how prudent it would be.

Governor Inslee said through March for now.

I really doubt they would issue a ban now that would extend that far out. The goal now of reducing social gatherings is to slow the spread to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system. The health department is saying that the same number of people will become infected regardless, it's just trying to postpone some of those infections to spread out the need for healthcare. Studies are showing that social distancing for 2-4 weeks is what is needed right now. If that holds, May is WAY outside of that range. It's premature to move anything at this point.

Yes I just watched the press conference too. It sounds like they are in mitigation mode. It's going to spread, so the plan is to slow the spread so our healthcare systems can manage it.

We got an update from a meet we are attending this weekend...basically just be careful, be smart, wash your hands etc. Funny they also asked gymnasts not to spit on grips or any other equipment lol. I hadnt thought about it till they mentioned it...but yeah lets avoid spit for the time being :)

Never never go to a boys' meet and if you do, never never watch pommel horse preparations.

Never never go to a boys' meet and if you do, never never watch pommel horse preparations.

ROFL! I cannot imagine trying to get them to stop spitting....it is gross...but man, you would need a special person standing there just to stop them!

Based on the email I saw, it looked like it was all travel for both students and staff. Track and Field can't go to their national meet either.

I assume that impacts regionals (if it's even possible that those could be held) if at least one state can't compete.
If there is a petition process for MAG for Regionals I am assuming they could use that for all NY state competitors? I know in FLA for WAG for Level 9 & 10 you can petition in to Regionals so I am thinking worst case we miss Florida States we could still be available for regionals.

No fans at NCAA championships.
For basketball too... that’s huge. When we have tourney games at the Dome (we don’t this year) they sell almost 30,000 tix and you know every person there is buying some sort of concessions. This is not great for these teams economically, BUT...it does make sense to limit these huge crowded gatherings. I feel awful for all the kids who have worked so hard. Hopefully as many people as possible will stay healthy! https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28885422/ncaa-says-tournament-go-fans

I really wonder at this point if states will even happen. Regionals I feel is very much off the table. I am not voicing this to my child. She has told me though that whatever happens, happens, and if there are no regionals, then it’s time to work harder skills. I am glad she has a good attitude about it all. I do hope the girls get to do states, but not at the expense of other’s health of course. It feels like every day there is a new closure, a new crowd control so to speak....we will just have to see what happens.

At least for my DD, her gymnastics season (college club) is over- she had only one meet this season. The remaining meets on her schedule fall during the time her school (and her “adoptive” club’s school) are closed down due to the virus. It remains to be seen if her crew season will have its last two regattas since schools might be opened back up by then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back