WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SO people can flood in with all their germs? No way. That totally defeats the point of what folks are trying to do to contain this mess.

Agreed. There are much greater sacrifices and losses happening (including my 401k) - in the big picture, this isn’t that big of a deal. I would just like USAG to weigh in and call it off at this point.

Or we can recognize for 99%, this is just gymnastics and let it go for this year.
But wait, my level 4 state meet is really important because my kid worked really hard.

Obviously you don't have a senior, so call it a year cause you have plenty other years. Good for you. So go on and be insensitive and dismiss it like it is no big deal for the rest of the kids who literally worked ten years of their lives for a shot to Nationals in their senior year. Or actually, mock them. That's more classy.

The virus will blow over in a couple of months. The last big virus SARS had the first reported case November 2002. There was some travel ban but nothing of the magnitude of the bans and cancellation that are going on now. It fizzled out by May.

I also hope the virus will fizzle out in a few months. We don't really know though, of course, until it happens or doesn't. It's not as deadly as SARS, but it's a lot more contagious, so harder to contain. Only 8,000 people in 29 countries came down with SARS. There are already over 126,000 (that we know of) with Coronavirus in 113 countries and it seems to be just getting started. You can't really equate this to other recent novel viruses.

Maybe people should know that the virus is not airborne. It requires actual contact then touches your face, or sharing utensils, or being squeezed on directly to contract. Is it so hard to be responsible for yourself and wash your hands, spray down furniture and equipment with Lysol constantly (which I know schools in our district are doing), and keep a distance when socializing with people? Or do we really need big brother to mandate us to stay home, wash our hands hourly, stop sharing drinks and food with friends? I get it flying is a tough one but you still need to be within the vicinity of a cough or a squeeze droplets to get it.

I also hope the virus will fizzle out in a few months. We don't really know though, of course, until it happens or doesn't. It's not as deadly as SARS, but it's a lot more contagious, so harder to contain. Only 8,000 people in 29 countries came down with SARS. There are already over 126,000 (that we know of) with Coronavirus in 113 countries and it seems to be just getting started. You can't really equate this to other recent novel viruses.

Fair point. But I guarantee you people did not think of SARS as a novel virus at the time. People acted like half the human population would be wiped out by it.

Maybe people should know that the virus is not airborne. It requires actual contact then touches your face, or sharing utensils, or being squeezed on directly to contract. Is it so hard to be responsible for yourself and wash your hands, spray down furniture and equipment with Lysol constantly (which I know schools in our district are doing), and keep a distance when socializing with people? Or do we really need big brother to mandate us to stay home, wash our hands hourly, stop sharing drinks and food with friends? I get it flying is a tough one but you still need to be within the vicinity of a cough or a squeeze droplets to get it.

It is droplet-borne and has been shown to live on surfaces for quite a while. All someone has to do is sneeze at you. Or touch something you touch.

I was at a scout overnight at NASA last weekend. And everyone lined up for sanitizer before dinner. Then they stood in line for up to 15 minutes, biting their nails, wiping their noses, and all manner of other gross things before handling the tongs at the buffet. And then after going through this buffet that had been touched by 350 people, not one of them washed or sanitized their hands again. (Except our table. :D) As I try to be more mindful of washing my hands and not touching my face, I become more and more aware of how many things I touch per minute. Even the public figures telling us not to touch our faces can't keep their hands off their faces for a 2 minute address.

"Novel" virus refers to a virus that has not been seen before.

I think that if the NCAA gymnastics cancels the rest of the season, usag will follow suit. Already meets are being canceled. For some of the girls this was their senior meet, their final moment. But the girls actually (at least publicly) are saying they get it, and it is what it is. At this point I am wondering if my kid will even do states, I completely think regionals are a stick it with a fork done kind of deal. By then every sporting event will probably be shut down. The next week will be very telling, let alone the next few days.....

US hospitals were briefed that they should prepare for 96 million cases, 4.8 million hospitalizations, 1.9 million ICU admissions, and 480,000 deaths. This estimate is based on an assumption of a case fatality rate of just 0.54 percent, which is much lower than current preliminary calculations.

The maximum number of ventilators available in the US is 160,000.

During the 1918 flu pandemic, the death rate was much higher in Philadelphia, which was slow to cancel public events, than in St. Louis, which moved quickly to implement social distancing measures.

I fear that it is already too late and we have missed our opportunity to slow down the transmission of the virus to a manageable rate. There is a greater good here than a level 10 state meet or an NCAA championship or an NBA game or the Olympics. I have a friend who just had to cancel her trip to visit her 90-something-year-old mother in assisted living. She rightly fears that she will never see her mother again. Lives, thousands or millions of them, are what is at stake.

If USAG acts, this might have implications for insurance policies for some gym owners/meet hosts. Likewise if states declare states of emergency and shut things down. I would also hope that any responsible meet director purchased insurance.

I know it sucks a lot for kids who have worked very hard. My daughter is very unhappy that the rest of her college season is cancelled. But she understands that there are bigger things at stake.

FIG is cancelling World Cup events. I would guess that financial relief will be available to small businesses; it won't make them whole but it will keep them solvent. Important to keep the big picture in view here. But for many, government action is the first step that will enable business owners to act in the public interest without being scared that they'll lose their shirts.

Hey, how many times have you told yourself that you're spending all this money for them to train for years because they are learning resilience? It's a great asset in this situation, and I'm going to whisper here quietly that many of these athletes are going to handle it better than some of their parents (NOT talking about anyone in this thread, in case that's not clear!).

It is not just gymnastics, for some it is their livelihoods. There are gyms that have fronted tens of thousands of dollars to host post season meets, and businesses may not survive. We may get to the point of needing to cancel, but it is more than just gymnastics.

Oh, but it is just gymnastics. There are many business that may not survive across the board. Gyms are not the only ones. Most of these posts are more about their child not being able to complete, come on now....much bigger picture here...people are sick and some dying. Is it being blown out of proportion? maybe, but the spread of it needs to stop because our hospitals will become overwhelmed and that will not be good for anyone. Trust me, I understand it stinks. I have a gymnast that this affecting too at the college level, big time, however your health is way more important than this sport. Now might be the time to teach the little ones about disappointment because if they are young and in this sport, they are in for many more over their career.

SoCal state just got cancelled...

CF599A91-AEE6-4A79-BDB0-80688BA315A7.png

Can they petition into Regionals?

At this point, who cares? For much of the country, Regionals will be held as covid-19 is ramped up. How do you design a system where some will have qualified into Regionals via their state meet and others are qualifying on an a different method all together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back