WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I will be only mildly surprised if state meets get cancelled here. And I won't be disappointed in the slightest.

None of my students will die if they get it. I won't die if I get it.
But if I bring it home to my immunocompromised wife, and her over-60-year-old parents (one of whom has chronic respiratory issues)....

FYI per my daughter's coach: as of yesterday NCAA is limiting all college championship events to essential personnel only. We don't know yet if PAC12s will allow family attendance or not, but doubtful with the slew of cancellations today. Team is still travelling today to LSU but that is also limited to essential personnel/guest pass only. I'm surprised ASU allowed them to travel at all, since they are switching to online classes only for the next two weeks.

I expect the situation to get worse before it gets better. My opinion is that if nationals gets cancelled, the college coaches will be as disappointed as the girls when it comes to recruiting.

We don’t know here in the USA because tests are not available in many areas and limited I. Others . Meanwhile I have a gallon of running alcohol for sale for 10,000
Right? I heard about the jerk on Amazon who snagged all the Purell and then had the massive markup. I am glad Amazon shut him down.:mad:

FYI per my daughter's coach: as of yesterday NCAA is limiting all college championship events to essential personnel only. We don't know yet if PAC12s will allow family attendance or not, but doubtful with the slew of cancellations today. Team is still travelling today to LSU but that is also limited to essential personnel/guest pass only. I'm surprised ASU allowed them to travel at all, since they are switching to online classes only for the next two weeks.

I expect the situation to get worse before it gets better. My opinion is that if nationals gets cancelled, the college coaches will be as disappointed as the girls when it comes to recruiting.
I just heard the sec championships were canceled. Rumor, or truth?

We got an update from a meet we are attending this weekend...basically just be careful, be smart, wash your hands etc. Funny they also asked gymnasts not to spit on grips or any other equipment lol. I hadnt thought about it till they mentioned it...but yeah lets avoid spit for the time being :)

We also got an email about our meet this weekend asking that only immediate family attend. No mention of spit though!
THe number of cancellations coming in now is staggering. I think we just all have to be ready. It is the uncertainty that I struggle with.....

Same here. It's all so confusing.

TXUSAG says everything on the women's side is going on as planned. I think the 6s will get their state meet this weekend, but I'll be surprised if the rest actually happens. My daughter's state is in a school district building, and I fully expect to hear it's been canceled in the next few days.

All the school district superintendents in Houston, and I think maybe in Dallas too, are meeting with public health officials tomorrow morning to make decisions about the next few weeks of school (since this week is spring break here). I expect that if the schools close there will be a lot of pressure or outright orders to cancel sporting events.

I live in Indiana, and our Xcel State Meet was just cancelled. They say they’ll reschedule it, so I’m hoping that actually happens. Our level 2 & 3 already had theirs, and 4 & 5 is this weekend so it’s probably too late to cancel it. Xcels were supposed to be next weekend and optionals were the weekend after. They’re saying they’ll update on what happens with the optionals (I’m guessing it’ll be cancelled too).

TXUSAG says everything on the women's side is going on as planned. I think the 6s will get their state meet this weekend, but I'll be surprised if the rest actually happens. My daughter's state is in a school district building, and I fully expect to hear it's been canceled in the next few days.

All the school district superintendents in Houston, and I think maybe in Dallas too, are meeting with public health officials tomorrow morning to make decisions about the next few weeks of school (since this week is spring break here). I expect that if the schools close there will be a lot of pressure or outright orders to cancel sporting events.

Yet they cancelled the boys' optional state meet this weekend....

Actually I just looked it up and petitioning in is possible in CA for injuries, natural disasters, etc. - I'm sure some do care and are hoping that things may turn around in a month and they will get their chance to their compete in post-season (some seniors, recovering from injury, etc.) Fingers crossed these large cancellations and containment actions work to flatten the curve!
My guess is they will allow the gymnasts with a certain score cut-off to petition into regionals, the question is if they have regionals. Very sad for the seniors and tough for the gymnasts in the midst of recruiting too. I don't see why SoCal state didn't just hold the meet without spectators and hope it's something they consider for regionals and JO's/westerns.

Imagine going to a meet this weekend and seeing someone down on the floor coughing and sneezing at your kid's next event. I had a meet to work and ended up hiring out because I was concerned that my seasonal allergies would scare some families in the stands.

I get it. Some people are concerned, some are not. No one wants to miss meets. And I can empathize with families concerned that their seniors will not get a chance to compete. What a terrible way to end a senior year!
I also see that, unfortunately, it's the nature of this sport. It could be flu or injury or just an unfortunate circumstance. There are no guarantees. They say something about all the years and all the hours in the gym for years for that 90 seconds (or less) on the event. Some lose out/miss out every season for all kinds of reasons.
And yes, it sucks.

I wish USAG luck and hope they make smart choices in the upcoming weeks.

USAG has cancelled all sanctioned meets through the end of the month. Wow!

Whoa. We have our home meet this weekend. I wasn't expecting them to cancel since they usually follow the school's lead and school hasn't canceled. But this will take care of that. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back