WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was at Starbucks today and a mom friend of a girl gymnast was there. Our schools close tomorrow. Said son was going to be crazy bored, no school, no practice. Our gym chose to follow school closings for practice closings. She said there was no way her gym was closing.
Kind of surprised that if public health was willing to cancel something so essential as school a gym would stay open, and even more that parents would accept it.

Our gym just closed for 3 weeks, along with all of our schools. I just hope people follow the guidelines so we can get a handle on this situation. I'm keeping my family on lockdown as much as possible.

Our gym closed as well. I am with you. Partial closings will not help and will prolong. Gyms need to listen to health depts.

For those where gyms have shut down - are you in an area considered a hot spot and/or have schools also shut down? What a bat-s@%! crazy week. I guess one silver lining is all the gymmies with nagging aches and pains will have plenty of time off to heal.

For those where gyms have shut down - are you in an area considered a hot spot and/or have schools also shut down? What a bat-s@%! crazy week. I guess one silver lining is all the gymmies with nagging aches and pains will have plenty of time off to heal.

I’m in Washington (obviously a hot spot) and schools are closed down until April 27th here, no word from our gym yet.

Our schools go on Spring break next week. They are extending that one week. The schools near our gym go in 2 weeks, but are starting now. And yes, the gym is closed fro those 2 weeks.

I'm in Baltimore.

But I think it's a better idea for gyms to close down whether or not they are in a "hot spot." The idea is to prevent an area from becoming a hot spot.

The absolute ideal scenario is one in which, a year from now, we all look back and think "looks like we overreacted; hardly anybody died." That's kind of the point.

The absolute ideal scenario is one in which, a year from now, we all look back and think "looks like we overreacted; hardly anybody died." That's kind of the point.

Yes. This really is a lose-lose situation for leaders. If you act too late to prevent spread, people die and everyone is mad at you. If you act early enough to prevent spread, it looks like there was never an issue and people are annoyed at you for over-reacting. There will be complainers either way... It’s better for people to be annoyed than dead.

Gyms (and schools) in my county were shut by government order. The gym I coach at is 1 mile across the county line and is (so far) still operating as normal, never mind that at least a third (probably more like half) of their staff and gymnasts come from the county considered affected enough to close down. I'm really hoping an expanded government order comes out to because it seems like that's all that will close the gym.

I’m in Washington (obviously a hot spot) and schools are closed down until April 27th here, no word from our gym yet.

I am in Eastern Washington. Our schools have not closed yet, neither have gyms. The governor restricted gatherings to 250 in only 3 Seattle counties. Many businesses and companies in our city are following suit, even though the restriction technically does not apply to us. The school districts have canceled everything except actual school. I imagine once schools close, gym may follow suit. Although I could see the team girls still practicing, since there are less than 20 of them.

I agree. If this works, so many people will say it wasn't necessary. :( Hopefully it works though.

Here I believe the recommendation is under 200 and I don't think our gym is ever over that at any point in time.

It is nice to know that if there is a regionals, my daughter can go, but I strongly suspect that if they salvage a post season it will be levels 8 and up. Which is fine. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think in a month we're going to be clear of all this.

I was at Starbucks today and a mom friend of a girl gymnast was there. Our schools close tomorrow. Said son was going to be crazy bored, no school, no practice. Our gym chose to follow school closings for practice closings. She said there was no way her gym was closing.
Kind of surprised that if public health was willing to cancel something so essential as school a gym would stay open, and even more that parents would accept it.

I will be surprised if other gyms in our area close. We'll see. Ours is closed though.

Our gym followed the schools (all schools ordered closed through April 6.) Our gym was the only one in the area to close, though. The others have stated they are setting up sanitizer stations and staying open.

Ohio has 5 confirmed cases of Covid-19.
The Governor is closing all schools (K-12) for 3 weeks MINIMUM beginning 3pm Monday (so basically starting Tuesday) - public OR private doesn't matter. Luckily, many schools will be on Spring Break for one of those weeks. Schools are scrambling to figure out how to make sure it doesn't affect graduation. They will most likely switch to doing everything online (especially for those schools that already provide laptops for all students and do most of their in class work online already anyways). The Governor has also limited gatherings to 100 people (exceptions: Grocery stores, church, weddings, and funerals).

Our District Gymnastics Meet (our season Championship Meet) was scheduled for this weekend, but it has been cancelled even though the sessions were going to be small.

The Ohio State University has cancelled ALL sports through the end of the school year. They are doing all online classes and closing the dorms and dining halls.

Here ( canada) meet that was scheduled sunday was cancel yesterday, all schools of the province closed today for two weeks and the gym followed and will be closed as well ( as most of the gym in the area). hope the social confinement will stop the spreading.Hard time for my gymnast, it's early spring and no things to do outside..... She cried a little bit ( for the meet) but was pretty mature when I made her think of the grandparents, for whom we are more stressed. We continue working ( for the moment ), glad to also have a teenager who can babysit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back