10 years old too old to compete Level 4 USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is 9 and competed level 4 USAG this year. This was her first introduction to competitive gymnastics and she loved it. Her gym didn't participate in many meets - only two - and they didn't bring the girls to sectionals or states even though they all would have qualified for sectionals. Her gym is planning to train her team for level 5 skills next year but compete them at level 4 again, this time more aggressively. I like the idea of her getting another year of experience competing in meets, especially when she's so comfortable with the routines. But I'm concerned that she'll be the oldest one competing at level 4 and that will actually hurt her confidence. Any advice?

Ten years old is definitely not too old! At my gym our L4s range from ages 7-12, but we had a 16-year-old compete L4 a couple years ago. Most of our L4s now are 11 year olds, and at meets they definitely aren't the oldest.

My dd finished her lvl 4 season in December. She is the youngest on the team (she turned 8 in September). We actually have 2 13 yr olds on the team. We have a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds. She is definitely not to old for lvl 4. Good luck to her.

No! there is plenty of time to find the best place to move up, whether or not to skip stuff- just keep on doing it and figure out where to go as you move along.

10 is def. not too old!! In fact, most of the meets we were at, 10 was the most competitive and largest age group! Our team this year was mostly 9 and 10 yr olds. A few 8's, no 6's or 7's and a couple who were 11 or older.

For boys, too! My ds is competing level 4 again as a 10 year old. There were fully 30 kids in his division this last weekend!! (10 and up!)

Not at all! DD has a level 4 teammate who just turned 10 and 2 others who are 9. Good luck to her!

10 years old is pretty typical. I was 13 when I competed level 4, and there were barely any other girls my age at meets. However, now I'm 16-going-on-17 (I know that I'm naïve) and competing level 7, and there is a pretty sizeable 15-and-up category. I think probably a lot of girls get stuck at level 7 because of bars skills being iffy, and of course there are also girls who started at a more typical age but did 2 years for each level. So basically, the age thing evens out over time. But 10 doesn't even constitute an "age thing" in my view.

you gotta start somewhere. and someone has to be the youngest...and someone the oldest.:)

My dd is just finishing her L4 season, and she is 10, almost 11. She didn't start gymnastics until she was 9 and didn't have her kip yet, so they let her compete with the 4's. She's definitely the oldest, but if anything that was good for her confidence level. Most L4's in this area are much younger, so she was in the oldest age division in all the meets we've done, which was tough (she scored better than anyone else on her team, but they're younger and placed in the younger divisions while she didn't place against older kids), but dd's gym really downplays scores, especially at level 4. I wouldn't worry! The transition for 4 to 5 is tough, on bars especially, so the extra year will probably be good for her.

My DD was 10 when she competed level 4. That was the most competitive age group. There were more 10 year olds than any other age group and they were also the strongest level 4's competing. Your DD will have alot of girls here age to compete against. Good luck to her!!

Not too old, but I am really wondering why, if they all qualified for sectionals/states would they repeat? Are they missing skills? My DD's L4 team ranges in age from 6 to 10- with the majority of the girls being 7/8. When we go to competitions there is always a large group of age 10 and up. She will not be alone. I guess I always just wonder why gyms have girls repeat L4 when they did well. DD's gym is of the opinion get the skills at L4 and move on- the head coach thinks the mill circle needs very little time spent on it when the kip is a skill the kids will need from here on out.

If she's enjoying it and wants to compete, it's definitely not too old.

In my, very limited, experience, girls who start out a little later do very well and really enjoy it, but often don't stick with it past L6. Instead, they do other HS sports. Pickle had an 11 year old on her L4 team who was just beautiful. But after L6, she switched to diving and I hear she's doing great. Another older compulsory girl left and did pole vaulting in HS and won a state title as a Sophmore.

Does she like it? Is she the oldest in her training group? If she likes it, feels like part of the group, then who cares how old girls are in level 4 across the country? Hope she has a fabulous year next year!

Definitely not too old. My daughter will be 10 (or close to it) when she starts competing L4 this Fall. The L4 girls at her gym range from age 6 to about 12 or 13. Like others have said, as long as she's happy who cares about age!

My DD just did her 2nd L4 season as an 8 year old and was still in the youngest age/session/award groups at the meets. Out of 11 sessions at the state meet (broken up by age), she was in the 3rd youngest. Most of the girls on her team are 10.

The second season at L4 was really good - she really got to where she had the skills mastered and it was great for her confidence.

We have total beginners in their teen years. Many have gone onto team and competed and done very well. They always have someone their age to compete against. I think 10 is still pretty young.

I have to agree with the others. 10 is not too old. Here, I have noticed in the L4 competitions age 9-11 is the biggest age grouping.

Not too old at all . Honestly if someone has the drive I don't thing any age is too old. Yes there are alot of 6 - 8 yo but I've seen a lot of 9 - 11 and 12 - 14 too. Don't let age keep your DD from going for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back