Parents 10th to death

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
After my daughter's beam score my coach went up to ask why so low (8.650). Apparently she got 10th to death because of bent knees. It isn't a form issue, it is the back of her knees that don't seem to straighten out. Any stretching she can do do help "loosen" stretch this muscle?

You would probably need to contact a PT. It may not be the muscles.
I know with YG, it wasnt the muscles... it was the tendons and ligaments... they didn't grow at the same rate as the rest of her legs. She could NOT straighten her legs all the way. It was very noticeable in her splits... the tendons were super tight and her knee was still not straight - if she pushed harder, she was in tears.
At one point, someone wanted to "help" her stretch the muscles more, but HC and I put a stop to it before she could get injured.

You would probably need to contact a PT. It may not be the muscles.
I know with YG, it wasnt the muscles... it was the tendons and ligaments... they didn't grow at the same rate as the rest of her legs. She could NOT straighten her legs all the way. It was very noticeable in her splits... the tendons were super tight and her knee was still not straight - if she pushed harder, she was in tears.
At one point, someone wanted to "help" her stretch the muscles more, but HC and I put a stop to it before she could get injured.
Kk she has PT appointment next week will bring that up. Same as my daughter

I think there is a deduction for form throughout the exercise--like "up to whatever" for bent knees throughout so that doesn't happen. I don't have time to go read the book right now, I'm just thinking from memory, so I could be mistaken.

After my daughter's beam score my coach went up to ask why so low (8.650). Apparently she got 10th to death because of bent knees. It isn't a form issue, it is the back of her knees that don't seem to straighten out. Any stretching she can do do help "loosen" stretch this muscle?
My son has the same issue...been that way since he started. I will be curious to see what people say....

I think there is a deduction for form throughout the exercise--like "up to whatever" for bent knees throughout so that doesn't happen. I don't have time to go read the book right now, I'm just thinking from memory, so I could be mistaken.
Kk...i am sure other things were a factor but this was the major issue

I just saw this video on You Tube about Simone and the young picture of her (when she is doing her straddle jump) is like my son- his right leg is always a little bent....Then you see her now- no bend. I wonder how she fixed it.....

I just saw this video on You Tube about Simone and the young picture of her (when she is doing her straddle jump) is like my son- his right leg is always a little bent....Then you see her now- no bend. I wonder how she fixed it.....

That is how my daughter's knees look

I don't know if my dd's knee issue will resolve. The way her hips go into her knees and then down, if her knees touch, her ankles can't. And it always looks like her feet are apart. As a fix from far away, sometimes she has to slightly put one knee in front of the other to get the appearance of alignment.

And I have to assume this is related, but when she runs, her knees angle in and her feet kick out. It's all really awkward looking and I have to imagine she gets dinged along the way.

Similar experience here. Up until my DD was about age 7, she was "knock-kneed", meaning when her knees were together, her ankles were noticeably separated. It was very pronounced at age 2-6, then age 7-8 mostly resolved. At 11, now her knees and ankles touch properly when standing straight.

In addition, she has prominent knee caps (on long skinny legs!) - "knobby kneed" - which made her legs look bent even when she was squeezing as hard as she could.

Now at age 11, though, her legs (thighs in particular) are starting to "fill out" and the knobby-knees are much less visually prominent. Her legs appear straighter even though they aren't any different. I predict in a few more years, her larger thigh musculature will hide the knee-caps such that she has a lovely line, though not in any way hyper-extended like many more flexible gymnasts possess.

I have heard on here that stretching the back of the knee is very dangerous, perhaps not even possible without risk of injury. But the appearance of straightness, at least for my DD, has definitely improved over time just as she has matured.

Similar experience here. Up until my DD was about age 7, she was "knock-kneed", meaning when her knees were together, her ankles were noticeably separated. It was very pronounced at age 2-6, then age 7-8 mostly resolved. At 11, now her knees and ankles touch properly when standing straight.

In addition, she has prominent knee caps (on long skinny legs!) - "knobby kneed" - which made her legs look bent even when she was squeezing as hard as she could.

Now at age 11, though, her legs (thighs in particular) are starting to "fill out" and the knobby-knees are much less visually prominent. Her legs appear straighter even though they aren't any different. I predict in a few more years, her larger thigh musculature will hide the knee-caps such that she has a lovely line, though not in any way hyper-extended like many more flexible gymnasts possess.

I have heard on here that stretching the back of the knee is very dangerous, perhaps not even possible without risk of injury. But the appearance of straightness, at least for my DD, has definitely improved over time just as she has matured.

I wish I could say the same. But she's 11 and it actually looks more exaggerated as she runs harder to get more power. But that said, she's also still pretty far from any growth spurt or weight gain. Maybe that will have an impact.

I wish I could say the same. But she's 11 and it actually looks more exaggerated as she runs harder to get more power. But that said, she's also still pretty far from any growth spurt or weight gain. Maybe that will have an impact.

Definitely true that some athletes will retain a knock-kneed (knees in-ankles out) structure. Not sure what level your daughter is, but at least in Optionals, I don't think there would be a deduction on the run part for leg structure (a coach can correct me here if I'm wrong tho!). There are plenty of elite athletes who are knock-kneed and, therefore, "sickle" their feet while in flight to make their toes touch even when ankles cannot.

So hopefully this won't impact your dd's progress or potential - frustrating, though, I know!

My DD is the same. Now 12 but still hasn’t really shown any signs of puberty so though she’s solid as a rock, she’s still very lanky. One of these days, she might fill out a little and her knobby knees won’t be as obvious. Who knows if she’ll still be a gymnast at the rate she is (isn’t, really!) growing.

Is this a deduction in lower levels?

I doubt that specifically they deduct for legs swinging outward as one poster described if all else is a good run, but I believe the run is part of what is judged, so if it is perceived that the run is off-rhythm, doesn't accelerate, knees not high enough, or that sort of thing, I believe it can be deducted, yes. If her stride is sideways enough that knees don't rise, for example, perhaps that could be deducted? I am just guessing, though. Have to have a coach or judge chime in here on actual specifics.

I doubt that specifically they deduct for legs swinging outward as one poster described if all else is a good run, but I believe the run is part of what is judged, so if it is perceived that the run is off-rhythm, doesn't accelerate, knees not high enough, or that sort of thing, I believe it can be deducted, yes. If her stride is sideways enough that knees don't rise, for example, perhaps that could be deducted? I am just guessing, though. Have to have a coach or judge chime in here on actual specifics.

This is funny to me, because I had a fairly strong vault towards the end of my career, but my run was pitiful. Coaches, parents & teammates would always make fun of my run (non-detrimental to me), and question how I possibly had one of the best vaults in my group. Watching home-videos back, I too find my run absolutely hilarious, I might have been better off starting my vault from a 2-step hurdle...

Definitely true that some athletes will retain a knock-kneed (knees in-ankles out) structure. Not sure what level your daughter is, but at least in Optionals, I don't think there would be a deduction on the run part for leg structure (a coach can correct me here if I'm wrong tho!). There are plenty of elite athletes who are knock-kneed and, therefore, "sickle" their feet while in flight to make their toes touch even when ankles cannot.

So hopefully this won't impact your dd's progress or potential - frustrating, though, I know!

She's L7 so I don't know if they judge the run or not, but trust me, if they do, she's getting dinged. But it really impacts landings the most. She just always looks off. Oh, and her front tuck and her front pike. The knees are together but in the air, the feet look really askew. It's really awkward. I'm hoping she starts competing her FHS FLO so it looks less off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back