WAG 17/18 year olds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
We are entering our gymnasts into a USA meet as we speak we have one gymnast who will be 17, 18 in the year of the meet we are unsure on putting her in level 8 or 9, she can do everything in level 8 and should be able to do everything/most in level 9
What we want to know is how many 17/18 year olds do you usually see in a level 8 meet or do you normally tend to see them more In level 9
She doesn't want to do level 8 if she's going to be the only one in the age group

There are certainly fewer older girls in level 8, but there are always some--she might be the oldest in the age group but she wouldn't be the only one. And the benefit of doing level 8 is that she would probably place high :)

We had an 18-year-old level 8 this year. In fact, the oldest group of level 8's in our state had to be broken up over two sessions for the State Chanpionships. If it's a larger meet, I would think there would be others there her age.

We hardly ever see more than a couple Xcel Diamonds of any age, so it probably varies a lot by state/region.

Even if she is the oldest there, there will certainly be other high-school aged level 8's. She won't look freakishly ancient or anything. ;)

It is not unusual to see 17/18 year old level 8's. At large US invitationals(like the Presidential Classic), they would usually split the level 8's in a session into 3 equal age groups(something like younger, middle, older or group 1, 2 and 3). So you don't even really know the exact age of the girls competing. I would say the "average" for ages in the groups at level 8 would be 12 and under, 13 to 14 and 15 and up. So will there may only be a few 17/18 year olds, there are still usually plently of "older" teenagers.

Okay thank you so she won't be out of place at all? :)
I wouldn't think so. A few more factors can affect this though. Height for example could be a one. If she's small/average for her age then she won't really look or stand out even if she is older. But if she's taller and older then she might.
But there are always going to be some older level 8s that stuck it though to the end and are happily rocking it at level 8 even if they're a little older then average! Put her where you think she'll feel confident and do well!

We had an 18 year old Level 7 this year at our gym. She was a graduating senior and she was in the same age group as my DD (14) at most of the meets this year. The age groups for L8 are similar to L7 except they may go 15+ instead of 14+. I think she will have plenty of competition.

I wouldn't think so. A few more factors can affect this though. Height for example could be a one. If she's small/average for her age then she won't really look or stand out even if she is older. But if she's taller and older then she might.
But there are always going to be some older level 8s that stuck it though to the end and are happily rocking it at level 8 even if they're a little older then average! Put her where you think she'll feel confident and do well!

She is 5 foot 3 I have no clue if that's tall or not for a 17 year old ahaha
Thank you so much everyone I will have a chat with her and I think we will put her into level 8

At State last month the 15+ L8 group was big and had several graduating seniors - I know because the graduating seniors were all celebrated. She should go in the L she is most competent at - plenty of company in that age group! (I guess the only exception may be in states/regions with really strong XCEL or high school gym - but in most of the country the 12 under age group for L8-10 is tiny, and the older age groups much bigger.)

If its a big meet you could check the age break downs from the last few years and see where she'd fit....

Plus those older girls were simply much more proficient in most cases - piked Yurchenkos instead of handsprings, etc.....It was fun to watch.

I tried this but is only said group 1/2/3 etc.. There were no ages on the score sheets :)
If it helps, all of the group 3s in every session were 13 and overs ... I did find one gymnast that would have to be 17, but there were a lot of 14-15 yo.
Just for you, I clicked on each gymnast that was in a group 3 for each session... I scrolled down to see if an age was ever given (only available if they had ever competed outside of Florida... then only if I was lucky). Then I calculated up to the date of the Presidential meet. Your gymnast should fit right in.

Reactions: COz
If it helps, all of the group 3s in every session were 13 and overs ... I did find one gymnast that would have to be 17, but there were a lot of 14-15 yo.
Just for you, I clicked on each gymnast that was in a group 3 for each session... I scrolled down to see if an age was ever given (only available if they had ever competed outside of Florida... then only if I was lucky). Then I calculated up to the date of the Presidential meet. Your gymnast should fit right in.
Wow thank you so much for doing that! Your all fab for all your help she will be happy now!!!!:)

You can adjust it. Anywhere between 100-135cm I believe. If you go to USAG.org, then click on "Women", then look for the tabs on the left-hand side, you should see one for JO; the equipment specifications are in the rules and policy document.

I'm 17 and I'm training for level 6 this year. Even though there is not a lot of people in my age range, it is still super fun. I am 5'3 too and there are plenty of people taller than me. We have a level 4 in our gym who is 5'7. So just do whatever level you have a good time doing and it will work out fine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back