180 on 360 off

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a few gymnasts doing half on half offs at our club and want to up them to half on full offs. Question is, is the technique for the full off the same as with the half off, just sharper and maybe with more spring from the block, or would you use a tilt twist technique once you get beyond the half off?

I have never taught this vault, so sorry, I can really help you. I did want to warn you that all twisting vaults will have a significantly lower start value in L8-10 next season. The new vault charts are posted on the USAG site.

I have never taught this vault, so sorry, I can really help you. I did want to warn you that all twisting vaults will have a significantly lower start value in L8-10 next season. The new vault charts are posted on the USAG site.

I get the feeling that the OP is from the UK! THough I can't help here in Canada very few gymnasts do that vault.

Haven't taught this either, but my thought is that I'd stack mats a little higher than the level of the vault table/any sort of mat setup they could "vault" onto, and see how well they can do the half on/half off there to their stomach. They are going to need to twist from around this position. For a half/full I don't think intense twisting initiation is necessary for sure, but I have known very few people who competed handspring on, double twist, and they seemed to wrap (with little instruction since this vault generally isn't intensively taught at the higher levels) the way a diver would, which I find interesting.

to do a half on full off you do the same technique as a half on half off but you just keep turning like a front full. This is Bailey, I am on my moms sign in.

Thanks for the comments so far, and yes, I am in the UK (Kendal in the North West of England). Any more advice still appreciated. My thoughts were that you need a good half on first, with plenty of lift to give you time for the turn. I have had conflicting advice about the nature of the turn. Some people say just carry on like a half on but don't stop, others that you need to think of it as a twist. Interesting to know any thoughts behind anyone's point of view. Whichever way it goes, I would certainly follow progressions via the mats first.

I've tried that vault as well,..with mixed success. I pretty much did the same technique, except quicker, sharper obviously.

I did them onto stacked mats, so the goal is to complete the twist before horizontal. I can do them on there, but lose all air sense once I do them without the mats.

Thanks for the comments so far, and yes, I am in the UK (Kendal in the North West of England).

My girls trained at the Gym school in Kendal in 2006, they had a blast and loved that minty club! :D They still talk about it.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

I saw that handspring fulls are 9.5 now; weren't they only 9.4 last year?

In the FIG code they are a B as opposed to an A for half on half off. Get 3.40 for the half on full off compared to 3.00 for the half on half off.

I agree with the mat stack folks. If you can do a 1/2 of 1/2 off to the stack of mats higher than the table while landing on your back then just continue to roll over on the mat the direction you are twisting. Eventually lower the mats low enough for the feet to come down and just keep pulling the twist until it is a full. When they are doing the 1/2 on 1/2 off to their back make sure they are focused on the form so when it comes time to do the extra 1/2 twist, they are already in the correct shape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back