WAG 1st level 7 meet-not great with shining moments

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
Truth is, her meet was a total bomb. She cried all the way home. She learned how it felt not to medal at all, and didn't like it. She said that she will make sure that never happens again:) She discovered that she wants no one's pity and does not like to be consoled when she is mad. That being said, the scores did not tell the whole story. She made mistakes that are easy to fix and will dramatically change future scores. She forgot to put her jumps in her beam routine, she fell on her butt on a floor skill, she did a watered down bar routine as a matter of safety, etc. BUT, she conquered her fears and did a beautiful BHS on beam and she will have her giants on bars ready for next meet. She achieved her own goals of making it to level 7 this season and I know the scores will only improve. I was so proud that she faced her fear, the low scores just didn't seem to matter to me (until her tears came...).

Let her cry, then she can start to realize that she DID make improvements. It's hard to see that in the heat of the moment. Congrats to her!

WTG to her for meeting her own personal goals. And good for her for overcoming fears. Sounds like a pretty great meet. Putting scores aside.
And now she has a fire under her bottom to "not let that happen again".

I think it is really important for the kids to figure out what they want to improve, some up with a plan, and work toward improving thing in the season. It is mich better for their head than to simply feel disappointed or mad at themselves. It is the key to progressing in any sport, calling, and life in general. Great that you can help her identify those things! I am sure she will get there!

It's so tough when they cry. My dd wears her heart on her sleeve too. She's great at holding it together in public, but then she will cry afterwards. It used to break my heart and I thought I had to try and fix it and make her feel better, but actually I've come to realise that she can do all that herself. All I need to do is let her get it out of her system, be ready with a cuddle, maybe a treat and to listen when she's ready to talk. She talks herself back up again all by herself.
Sounds as though your daughter is similar and she can take a lot of positives from that performance. Lots to be proud of - onwards and upwards!

It sounds like she learned A LOT at this meet! Sometimes its the life lessons learned that trump any medal or score out there! Way to go by facing her fears!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back