WAG 1st meet questions...advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
DD will be competing her first meet in two weeks. She is slated for Saturday around 6pm and I was wondering about when and what is best to eat that day as well as she usually has a couple of ballet classes that day - 12 - 1pm and 2 -3pm...should I let her still go to those?

I am not sure if it is better for her to relax or let her keep busy and maybe help keep the nerves at bay.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What level is she? Perhaps at a low level (4 and below) it might not matter. Even with my dd as a L6, I would not have her attend them.

Personally, I don't have my child doing anything before a meet. In fact, at our gym, when we host a meet, gymnasts have to "work" at least one session. (Basically taking scores up to the head table or being the head of a group to lead them from event to event --- NOT at all strenuous). But they are not even allowed to do that in any session earlier than theirs that day.

Regarding eating - we had a meet this Sat at 5:30 PM. She ate at 4 PM before we left our house (had to leave at 4:30.) She also has a small snack in her bag if she gets hungry during the meet.

Every kid is different. You don't say what level but as it's her first meet I'm assuming she's at a lower level. It's all new/fun for her! Is she a kid who gets nervous? Is she a kid who likes to be busy or needs to chill?

Also, how old is she?

6pm is a late check in for anyone but for a younger child, it's worse!!

My daughter is now 13/Level 8 but still likes to chill all day if she has a late check in. Doesn't want to exert too much energy, lol! Even when she was younger, I wouldn't have taken her to any other activity if a late check in. Plus, if check in is 6, you need to get there early and perhaps allow time to get there....plus allow time to get ready before!

As for what to eat and when, everyone, again, does what works for them! My daughter can eat anything, any time, before a meet. But her friend eats nothing! Go figure!

So, if we had a 6pm check in, she'd have lunch at noonish and then a snack around 3 (cheese/fruit/bagel...again, she eats anything, I don't worry). Then, she'd eat something in the car on the way (crackers/fruit/nuts). Again, everyone has what works for them.

I always make sure she has a bag of crackers in her gym bag to eat when at awards.....esp a 6pm check in they will be starving by awards! Sometimes a little bag of dark chocolate (sorry, works for her, don't judge!) that little bit of sugar helps her at 8pm!

Good luck and have fun!

Every kid is different. You don't say what level but as it's her first meet I'm assuming she's at a lower level. It's all new/fun for her! Is she a kid who gets nervous? Is she a kid who likes to be busy or needs to chill?

Also, how old is she?

She is 9yo and competing at Pre Novice in Canada; which I think is close to a L7/8 in the US???

My son's first meet was a 5 pm start on a Friday night. He went to school from 7-1 then we drove 3 hours to get there. He ate in the car about 2pm, and I filled his bag with snacks. He is 6 and in Kindergarten. He was going to be "pestering" someone, I figured it might as well be his teachers. Awards were done at 10pm and all of his snacks were gone. We got dinner in the car on the way home.

It worked for us, I might split the difference and have her do the first class but not the second. Good luck!!

As a former elite gymnast, I can say from experience that all you have on the mind the day or even the week of a meet, is the meet! As for other events that day, I would suggest rest and light eating of whole foods. Keep your gymnast centered by light stretched as home and maybe a walk to keep the nerves from getting too intense.... hope this helps and good luck!!!

For late sessions, we usually do something to keep minds off the meet, but wouldn't do anything like dance classes.

Eat smaller meals, and make sure to get some pasta or other complex carbs at breakfast/lunch. With the meet being that late, be mindful of when it will end and the fact that she'll need enough fuel to get through it. But, stick with multiple smaller meals rather than packing her full at 5:00.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back