Parents 1st T&T Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Dd had her first T&T meet this weekend! After competing Artistic for 4 years, she was QUITE nervous, as she did not know what to expect. She was real jittery on her 1st event, but said after that, she felt much more relaxed. She had a great meet, and really enjoyed the day!

The scores probably won't mean that much to most of the 'artistics' out there, but I'll report them, for any who are interested. I'm still learning myself, so bear w/ me.

First event was Double-Mini Tramp. She did two 'passes', i.e., two different 'routines', and got scores from three judges per pass, so it went:

1st pass: 9.5, 9.5, 9.5 (plus 0.5 for something called "DD" ?) = 29.0
2nd pass: 9.5, 9.6, 9.7 = 28.8
Total: 57.8

Which earned her 1st place! She got the ribbon right away (I'll expand on that later) so she went on to her next event w/ lots of confidence!

Next was Trampoline. They only get to do one routine. And if they step out of bounds or skip a required skill or whatever, the score gets 'interrupted' at that point & they do not get credit for the rest of the routine! So in artistic, if you fall off the beam, you'd get a deduction, but you get back on & get credit for the rest of your skills. In T&T, your score is just 'done' at that point. You only get credit for what you did correctly up the the point of the mess-up. Yikes! They usually finish their routine, but the score will be like a 4 or a 5.

Dd's scores: 7.9, 8.3, 8.1 (No 'interruption'-yay!)
Total: 24.3

Which, oddly enough, earned her another 1st place!

Last event was Tumbling. Here again, they do two different passes.

1st pass: 28.8 (I haven't gotten the score breakdown per judge yet, but it evens out to about 9.5 each).

2nd pass: 26.2 (evens out to about 8.7 per judge).

Total score was 54.7

This earned her 2nd place, down from the 1st pl. score by only 0.1 point! She was a bit bummed, as she thought she did better than the other gal who won 1st, but oh well! We are well-versed in judges and kooky scoring by now!

Awards were quite different from Artistic. As I said before, they all got ribbons from the judges immediately after everyone in their 'flight' (their age group) competed, so they knew right away how they placed. Nice in to get the instant feedback.

There were also awards held throughout the day, where they announced their names & gave out medals on an awards stand, like in artistic. But dd did not get to the awards stand for 2 out of her 3 medals (!), because:

The meet flow runs quite differently from artistic. The athletes are called to a 'staging' area about 20 minutes before their 'flight' (age group) is scheduled to compete. Here they get all the competitors in order & checked-in. They don't march around w/ their team in the order of events. Dd was just given the times she was to report to the staging area for her 3 different events. It just so happened that she was staging for Tramp when they gave out the Double Mini awards, and she was staging for Tumbling when they gave out the Tramp awards. So she missed receiving her two gold medals. Her coach said this is common w/ this sport and that he picks up their medals later if needed. So her team had competitors there from 8 am unitl 8 pm, depending on their age group, gender, and events they were competing. So everyone came & went accordingly. Remember, not everyone does every event, and they can compete at different levels on all their different events. Which brings me to my last observation:

All around awards are not given as they are in Artistic. According to dd's coach, only one AA award is given per level. For instance, dd competed L5. So all the competitors in level 5, regardless of age and gender, are lumped into one big group, and the athlete w/ the highest score of all of them gets a 1st place AA award. That's it. No 2nd, 3rd, etc. And I think they must compete all events at the same level to qualify for that AA award. Odd!

Dd now has met her mobility scores to move on to L6 for her next meet! We'll see about L7 after that. She is missing a tramp skill for L7, but has all the rest for DM & Tumbling. It's up to dd & her coach, but it would make her meet vids slightly more interesting! L5 is a bit 'tame' to watch, lol!

Boy, this was long. I didn't really want to go on like that, but in case some were truly curious about the 'nitty-gritty' details, I included them.

Next meet is in Feb, so there's a nice break for a bit. Thanks all! Hope you are all well. :)

I'm so happy for her. What a great way to start her T&T career !!!!

Can't wait to here about her L6 meet next month

Wow that is interesting. My girls compete tramp and that would explain the weird scoring we see sometimes as they use real tramp judges!

Sounds like she is more than ready for L6 and that the meet experience was great from both an aceivment and a learning standpoint. I love the ribbon straight away, that almost makes up for not getting the medals at the ceremony.

Our coaches kids compete T&T as well as artistic and it sounds like the meets run the same way here as well.

How did she feel at the end of the meet? Did she enjoy the experience? Must be such a huge change for you all. HOw many meets will she do, so they have States etc?

How did she feel at the end of the meet? Did she enjoy the experience? Must be such a huge change for you all. HOw many meets will she do, so they have States etc?

Thank you, Bog!

Yes, she enjoyed herself. She felt that the meet was more relaxed than Artistic meets. She especially liked the fact that once she was done w/ an event, she could wander around, go get food, visit, whatever, until it was time for her to report to the staging area for her next event. I think the lack of getting some public 'bling' was a bit of a bummer for her (missing some of the awards). She's a sucker for attention. But it's not a deal-breaker or anything, just different.

She will have 3 more meets between now & mid-March. Then States in April, Regionals in May, and Nationals in June, if she qualifies. Her coach seems to think she will go all the way to Nat'ls, but we shall see...one never knows, lol!

I think that's great that your girls do Tramp too. It looks so easy, but man, it's hard to land those flips, etc., and not bounce out of bounds. We watched the finals for the L9's thru Elite, as they were during some of the same times dd competed. Many of them were 'interrupted' in their Tramp routines, especially due to the crazy heights & twists in those routines! Apparently, it's just part of the sport, no matter how good you are! Kinda like Beam for every Artistic gymnast from Leve 1-Olympics! No guarantees for staying on that beam at every single meet!

Wow that does sound way different...and a lot to learn..but wow getting first place on an event...that is awesome!!!:) Sounds like she has really made a good choice! Congrats to her!

Sounds like she had a great first meet, especially those double-mini scores! Good luck at L6! It is a fun sport to watch:)

way to go :) Sounds like a great T & T Meet and yes I wouldn't have a clue how it works even though we have T & T in our gym too.
Good Luck at Level 6 next meet:)

That is amazing. I love your meet report it was very thorough and clear to us non T & T parents! Now that I know more I would love to watch a meet now!

Can you move up during the year like artistic? Could she compete L6 at the next meet? then drop back to L5 if she needed?

What a great confidence booster too.. 2 1st places? Wow!

Can you move up during the year like artistic? Could she compete L6 at the next meet? then drop back to L5 if she needed?

Thanks Kristilyn!

Yes, she can move up at the next meet, and probably will, on 2 out of 3 events. There is one required L6 skill on Tramp that she had, and now is scared of (much like her 2-year saga w/ the fly-away on bars in Artistic), and who knows when she'll get over that issue.

As far as dropping back, I am not sure! Good question. Probably not as much an issue, since they can do every event at any level. I think her coach will bump her up to L6 in DM & Tumbling for sure, but he can't bump her up on Tramp, since she is missing that one skill and she would get an 'interruption' in her routine, as it is required (I think!), much like compulsories in Artistic.

That's so awesome!!!! What a great start to her T&T career! I am so happy for her--that she was able to transition into another sport and be very successful. Tells a lot about her athleticism and all-around ability-pun intended!!

Give her a big high five from Dani and I!!! Congrats!!!!

thanks for all the detail. I know nothing of T and T so that was great. Sounds like she is doing well. We do have T and T in the UK but not at our club. Lots of UK artistic gymnasts are going into Team gym here when they have finished with 4 piece. Shame about the awards. Not very good scheduling - You could end up with an empty podium if all 3 are getting ready for the next event. That seems abit random. Do they announce and clap your name even if you aren't there.

Good luck with the next one! Keep the detail coming. We can learn along side you then.

Awesome first meet!!

DD=Degree of Difficulty

You know.....after thinking it over I'm not exactly sure if that 's what it stands for or not. I know that the 0.5 was awarded for difficulty, though.

Very interesting. I enjoyed reading it and congrats on a fantastic meet.

You know.....after thinking it over I'm not exactly sure if that 's what it stands for or not. I know that the 0.5 was awarded for difficulty, though.

It was some sort of a bonus, since it added up to 29. I'll have dd ask her coach what it meant. Thx!

Congrats on a great meet! Thanks for the info. on Tand T! I have been hearing a lot about that recently. The meet we are going to this weekend has T and T also. What great scores for her first meet! Congrats to her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back