Parents 1st Vault Score vs. 2nd Vault Score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
To our vault judges here: Anecdotally, are the second scores consistently higher than first ones?

Not a judge, but I haven't seen that to be consistent in years of parenting/coaching. One "advantage" is that the coach can briefly chat with the gymnast immediately following vault 1 and either change it (L8-up) or give a correction that helps right away... so yes, in that sense, if all goes according to plan theoretically the second vault should acore higher. In reality it's not really something that has stood out to me at all at least for the compulsories-L7 (I coach compulsories and obviously DD has been through them, she is heading into her first season of L8).

not a judge, but I *heard* that one of the reasons they went with that one and done vault a few years ago in L8 was that the first one was usually the best? For my child I would say it is 50/50- sometimes the first is better, but it seems that often the second might be better - she might really go harder at the vault after putting the first one on her feet? I would be interested in statistics though!

Just my experience with my kid. It’s a crap shoot if one of them is really off.

Otherwise they are pretty close.

My kids second one is almost always better. This said, when i asked her why she thought this to be the case, she says it is because she gets the jitters out, lol.

How do you know either way? Serious question. In every single meet we’ve ever been to the vault score isn’t flashed until after the second vault is competed and the final score is decided. I’ve never known which scored higher.

How do you know either way? Serious question. In every single meet we’ve ever been to the vault score isn’t flashed until after the second vault is competed and the final score is decided. I’ve never known which scored higher.
For us, its honestly pretty obvious...her first vaults are so bad that even i can figure it out. I was curious what she would say though, which is why i asked. Hah.

For us, its honestly pretty obvious...her first vaults are so bad that even i can figure it out. I was curious what she would say though, which is why i asked. Hah.
Gotcha. I just wondered if people knew officially as vault is the most impossible to tell by laymen in my opinion. Since my daughter is planning on two different vaults this season I was wondering if it was common information written somewhere that I was missing. Ha.

A lot of meets we have been to over the years writes down both scores on the score card, and several write down the scores of the individual judge in smaller lettering then the official/combined score larger (if there is a discrepancy, i.e. Judge 1 gives 8.7 on floor, Judge 2 gives 8.9, combined and official score is 8.8).

My gymmie has all of her score cards from meets, so it's on there. But I have no idea if there is a trend, I've never really looked!

Sometimes... in smaller meets... where the coaches and judges know each other, the judge will tell the coach (especially if the gymnast is vaulting with a minor injury and the decision to do a 2nd vault is based on if the score on the first one is "acceptable" to the gymnast). I have seen that happen 2x. Once the girl chose to keep her score. The other time, it was OG and she chose to vault again - it scored lower than the first vault.

5D41F7E9-38FD-433A-BA7C-4F02F82FC80D.jpeg
A lot of meets we have been to over the years writes down both scores on the score card, and several write down the scores of the individual judge in smaller lettering then the official/combined score larger (if there is a discrepancy, i.e. Judge 1 gives 8.7 on floor, Judge 2 gives 8.9, combined and official score is 8.8).

My gymmie has all of her score cards from meets, so it's on there. But I have no idea if there is a trend, I've never really looked!

Thanks for the info. I think my DD has gotten maybe a couple of score cards over the years. Not commonly given to the gymnasts in our experience. She still has them-there are only two- but they only list the final vault score also.

View attachment 6979

Thanks for the info. I think my DD has gotten maybe a couple of score cards over the years. Not commonly given to the gymnasts in our experience. She still has them-there are only two- but they only list the final vault score also.
These dont look like the actual score cards that the judges write on. The bottom one is definitely an "After Competition" commemorative score card. The top one COULD be an actual score card, but I can't tell... ours usually have a "/" between the 2 vault scores than the actual score is circled.

These dont look like the actual score cards that the judges write on. The bottom one is definitely an "After Competition" commemorative score card. The top one COULD be an actual score card, but I can't tell... ours usually have a "/" between the 2 vault scores than the actual score is circled.
In that case we’ve never, ever been given a real scorecard.

In that case we’ve never, ever been given a real scorecard.
Dont feel bad... we dont get them either.
I only know because HC keeps all the scorecards from our home meets and i get bored and put them in alphabetical order by team, then gymnast last name, then first name. Next time I get bored, I sort by level, then AA high to low (with a tie going alphabetical). The next time it is alphabetical by last name, level, AA, team.

We don't get them. They pass them out to the girls when waiting for awards, because I've seen them looking at them, but they all get collected back up probably when awards start. I've never personally seen one.

We don’t get the working score cards just the final score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back