Parents 1st Yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Found a new gym. And daughter did her 1st Yurchenko last night. I couldn't believe it. She was so happy, this place is going to be great for her. Still working on basic form issues but this coach after watching her has her training in a group of 7's training 8. She is so tiny (remember she's 7) but she is so happy because she has a little buddy who is just as tiny and 8 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Glad you found another gym so quickly. I hope this one works out better for you. Just be sure they continue to focus on form and don't skip the basics, as I remember from your earlier posts your daughter competed level 4 last fall (and now you say she's training 8) and has had form issues. That is a lot of levels to run through in such a short period of time!

Best of luck to you and your talented DD!

I'm not sure I'd want my 7 year-old doing Yurchenkos, especially if she only competed level four. Be her advocate.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

Maybe she means up to a resi?

Yeah our girls who competed old 4 last season are working "yurchenkos". They are doing lots of drills as side stations. Hopefully that's what the OP means. DD's group who competed 7 this year are working yurchenkos as well. When I say she is doing a yurchenko I mean she is working on one. Which includes round off, layout, layouts on a resi, round off bhs on a resi, timers on the vault table spotted, etc. It seems to be a very long process.

Then again DD's old gym did very little prep and drills. They just chunk them.

Exactly. DD has worked up to the round off on spring board then the bhs up to the resi but is no where near the table yet.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Wow! At Age 7 that's Awesome. My daughter is a couple years older and is just learning that now. She has not nailed the landing yet...but she says it is easier than the Tsuk so hopefully it wont be long.

If it was just the roundoff back handspring part up to a mat, then it's probably all right. If it was on a harder surface I would be wary - yurchenkos are really hard on the wrist because of the degree on flexion on impact to a surface that doesn't give. Most top gyms are requiring girls to wear wrist supports when training yurchenkos now, so I would definitely at least look into that, or maybe try a few other gyms before making a final choice. At 7 the growth plates are still stabilizing and not closed, so the yurchenko entry on a harder surface without much give would be a real concern.

My daughter says she needs the wrist guards more for the Tsuk but never wears them when practicing the Yurchenko. I think it is the twisting motion in the Tsuk that is more bothersome. At our gym the level 8's do tsuks and the 9's do the Yurchenkos.

Ours too, Luvs2sew. I just think a Yurchenko is a difficult vault and its not for the inexperienced. My daughter is. Level 9 and she competes one.

Last edited by a moderator:
c'mon people, 7 year olds can't perform Yurchenko's. even the founder, Natalia Yurchenko could not perform the vault at 7.

c'mon people, 7 year olds can't perform Yurchenko's. even the founder, Natalia Yurchenko could not perform the vault at 7.

Well, I assume it wasn't table to hard landing, but I've seen some 7 year olds that could have enough awareness to do it from a training surface into a pit. I am not saying I support this, just that I assume that's what's going on. And obviously in the days of Natalia Yurchenko, a yurchenko was much harder :) No real comparison to the equipment and pits of today.

The yurchenko has a lot of moving parts. My gymmie started the yurchenko drills between L5/6, but it was just learning to do the ro/bhs onto a resi. This vault needs a lot of work/time for a gymnast to do it well and safely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back