Parents 1st Yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

with the table at fig 125cm (5 on AAI) and a 'real' vaulting board, there is NO way a 7 year old does a Yurchenko whether it's performed in to a pit, resi or even a swimming pool. geesh...some of these posts. (dunno screams inside his head)

Agree with Dunno. Drills? No prob. Actual vault? I don't think so.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

D currently does drills for his yurchenko. He does a roundoff onto a springboard with a back handspring on a block mat. Not even close to the table yet. Sometimes they just do round off on the springboard with a jump on the mat, sometimes flat back, and sometimes back handspring. The tsuk he is doing on the table but with a mini-tramp instead of springboard and into a pit not a mat.

So dunno is it unreasonable for an 8/9 year old to do one? I gotta say I look at my DD who is 8 and is training the yurchenko to hopefully compete it next season and I just don't think it's possible. She will start the season as an 8 year old but then turn 9. She is only doing drills and not using the table except she will sometimes do a round off onto the board, straight jump to stand on table.

So dunno is it unreasonable for an 8/9 year old to do one? I gotta say I look at my DD who is 8 and is training the yurchenko to hopefully compete it next season and I just don't think it's possible. She will start the season as an 8 year old but then turn 9. She is only doing drills and not using the table except she will sometimes do a round off onto the board, straight jump to stand on table.

yes, unreasonable.

Well I had a look on youtube and there are no "amazing suzie aged 7 yurchenko" so I guess it isn't possible ;)

However I'm sure there's a poster here who has a 9 year old who competes yurchenko's. Lovofu is it?

Well I had a look on youtube and there are no "amazing suzie aged 7 yurchenko" so I guess it isn't possible ;)

However I'm sure there's a poster here who has a 9 year old who competes yurchenko's. Lovofu is it?

ohmygod! I did the same thing! LOL

I've seen video of an ex-poster's 9YO training a yurchenko on table with a real board but I have no idea if she competes it.

there are some 8 yr olds on you tube training them - into pit or on more padding, no spot or special springboard. So they are out there, though some look really scary... Several 9 year olds competing it as well. But that's a big difference from young 7yr old, which is what OPs dd is. I am assuming she meant either heavy coach spotting or just drills leading up to the real VT.

DD is a small 12 year old, she competed yurchenkos for level 9 after many many months of just doing drills. I'm guessing (hoping) OP just meant her dd did drills.

Thanks for all the banter back and forth! While I have read everyone's statements and have contemplated staying out of the discussion, however thought since everyone seems to be worked up over it I would set the record straight. I may have not written it exactly detail by detail and understand now that I have to be very detailed when posting so I do work anyone up.
So.. My daughter was workingYurchenkos, she had the running back handspring onto the "vaulting table" not a mat, once she landed standing onto the table they did handstands then double backs into the pit for the first half hour. After the girls mastered this they landed their double backs onto their feet onto a mat. So did they put the entire vault together???? No but as a 7 year old, yes I am for sure going to brag that my daughter was able to not only do the element up to the vaulting table, then eventually land the dismount. So was it put all together.... No but it was pretty darn close and for 7 I'm pretty darn proud.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Thanks for all the banter back and forth! While I have read everyone's statements and have contemplated staying out of the discussion, however thought since everyone seems to be worked up over it I would set the record straight. I may have not written it exactly detail by detail and understand now that I have to be very detailed when posting so I do work anyone up.
So.. My daughter was workingYurchenkos, she had the running back handspring onto the "vaulting table" not a mat, once she landed standing onto the table they did handstands then double backs into the pit for the first half hour. After the girls mastered this they landed their double backs onto their feet onto a mat. So did they put the entire vault together???? No but as a 7 year old, yes I am for sure going to brag that my daughter was able to not only do the element up to the vaulting table, then eventually land the dismount. So was it put all together.... No but it was pretty darn close and for 7 I'm pretty darn proud.

I don't think anyone was accusing you of bragging or exaggerating what she was actually doing...I think there was genuine concern that doing a Yurchenko may not be safe for a 7 year old who has not worked up to this skill with various drills for many months, even years.

I'm assuming they were doing one back tuck/pike? There is no "double" in a Yurchenko.

ok well, you have every right to be proud of all of your dd's accomplishments! Do not mean to diminish what she is doing. BUT, that being said, doing a roundoff-jump to vault, then at a later point standing on top of the vault and doing handstand-back tuck off the table is nowhere close to flipping the yurchenko-tuck vault. What you've described is doing drills, which is great. But....do not be discouraged if she is doing drills for the next several years. My dd started doing drills for them after her level 6 season and continued to do drills until after level 7 season. She didn't actually flip by herself until that point. I frankly would be very concerned with a coach that would have a 7yr old actually flipping (didn't she just compete level 4 last season). Flipping yurchenkos are not something to play around with and just chuck....so I really hope that your dd is doing drills for a very long time. My dd has been competing them for 2 yrs now, and we've seen what a lot of "chucked" ones look like at meets....

I don't think anyone is getting worked up about it, people just were trying to understand what you meant. A yurchenko vault is not something someone picks up in 30 minutes so yeah it didn't make sense. Don't be offended but parents often have no clue what they are talking about and others just wanted clarification. For example your description of a "running backhand spring onto the table" caused me to giggle. That would be impossible. It's a "round off backhandspring" onto the table. You obviously aren't a gymnastics expert, just a mom, and that's why you are here right? To learn about this sport.

I think especially since you had a bad experience at a gym where they basically told you your daughter didn't have the form and basics to be in their program at this time, people are skeptical of any gym that would throw a 7 year old into doing yurchenkos on the table. That doesn't sound correct. No matter if she is the most talented kid to ever grace a gymnastics mat, there's a lot of prep before the steps you describe. I can't tell you how many months DD's group has spent doing round off drills on various surfaces, bhs layouts, bhs layout layout, Bhs to miss the feet, Round off layouts into the pit off a spring board, round off double pikes off a spring board and countless other drills for this vault.

So yeah saying my kid went to this gym for the first time and did a yurchenko by herself makes no sense.

I think especially since you had a bad experience at a gym where they basically told you your daughter didn't have the form and basics to be in their program at this time, people are skeptical of any gym that would throw a 7 year old into doing yurchenkos on the table. That doesn't sound correct. No matter if she is the most talented kid to ever grace a gymnastics mat, there's a lot of prep before the steps you describe. I can't tell you how many months DD's group has spent doing round off drills on various surfaces, bhs layouts, bhs layout layout, Bhs to miss the feet, Round off layouts into the pit off a spring board, round off double pikes off a spring board and countless other drills for this vault.

So yeah saying my kid went to this gym for the first time and did a yurchenko by herself makes no sense.

Especially since within the last 6 weeks, the OP was talking about how the gymmie was having problems running down the runway and was just starting to twist her handspring vault.

Sorry 495, but it is just a HUGE jump to go from running problems to throwing a yurchenko within 6 weeks and it doesn't matter what gym she is at. Then when you toss in the simple physics of having such a small (by your description) child.....things just weren't making sense.

No need for a play by play. ;) "Yurchenko drills" would have been an accurate explanation. And since you mentioned she was training with level 7s, we all would have understood. :) . no offense was intended - more like concern for her safety if she truly was flipping yurchenkos.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back