Parents 1st Yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Even if she got the mobility score to go from old Level 5 to old Level 6, wouldn't she still need to score out of new L5 to move up to new L6/L7? I guess it's not really any of my business anyway. ;)

Yes, you are correct. If she competed L5 last season, she must have also scored out of L6 this season. That's what the girls in my DD's gym did this year. This allows them to go to L6 or L7. But the L5s that didn't score out can only compete L4 or L5. None of those levels allow a yurchenko.

And like you, it isn't my concern either. Just would hope a coach would keep a small 7YO safe and not send her over the table backwards while so little.

Just would hope a coach would keep a small 7YO safe and not send her over the table backwards while so little.

To the OP, I think many of us were trying to make the point that this is a safety concern, especially since your child is at a new gym where they are really not familiar with her abilities, it would seem careless to have her chuck an advanced skill.

with the table at fig 125cm (5 on AAI) and a 'real' vaulting board, there is NO way a 7 year old does a Yurchenko whether it's performed in to a pit, resi or even a swimming pool. geesh...some of these posts. (dunno screams inside his head)

Who said anything about any of that?

I'm still confused about what actually was worked on, so I suppose it might or might not be okay. I would always advise someone switching gyms in a busy area to do a lot of research and try more than one. And try more than one day before committing.

Drills for me are fine!! I'm just excited to see the backhand spring element being added to her vaulting. The comment someone made about getting wrist guards is a good idea and will be asking her coach on Monday. Yes she competed L4, but then Competed a few meets of L5 then a meet of 6 so it wasn't like she went from 4 to 7/8 without anything in between. I'm here for support and answers to questions just like anyone else, and yes I am not a gymnast so if I get a term or something else said wrong my apologies ahead of time but I'm trying my best. I'm just very proud of my daughter that she can do things at her age that some girls in the gym cannot do. As for the dismount off the table, it was a double back tuck.. But it's ok with me if none of you believe me. I was there, along with her coach and those of you who have kind and supportive words.. Thank you so very much :) ill work on my gymnastics knowledge. Those who don't I would never lie or embellish what she could do. Hope everyone understands :)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

So, your dd only competed one season (Level 4/5/6) while switching gyms and is now planning to compete Level 7/8 in the fall? It sounds crazy to me, mainly because girls do not skip levels like that at our gym, even the very very very best ones on Elite path. I think you've said she is home schooled and trains 25+ hours a week though, so maybe that explains the quick progression and learning all those routines in such a short time. I have never heard of a kid doing all three compulsory levels in one year at 6 or 7 years old. Not questioning you at all, it's just such a different mind set than I'm used to - maybe it's the difference between east coast/west coast gyms.

What is the benefit of doing double backs off the vault table?

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I have never seen girls stand on the table and do a double back. I think you are confused. It's a single flip starting from a handstand and stepping down. That is common. Then they will do layouts and even twist the layout. I'm sorry to the op, but I haven't even seen level 10's, elites or college kids stand on the table and do a double back. It may look like 2 flips because of the way they go to handstand and bring their feet down and then flip, but again I've never seen even those at the highest level do a double back off the table. Perhaps a coach can chime in here.

It kind of reminds me of a dear friend who was so excited because her daughter did her giants on her first try ...... On the strap bar. She was so excited. 8 months later she still can't get them on the pit bar. She laughs at herself now. At the time she didn't know what the strap bar was. She thought hey it's a bar and she's going round and round it all by herself.

The impression that I got from the initial post is that the girl is *training* a Yurchenko at the new gym, not actually going over the table with it. My older child is only preteam, but I see the L7 girls training all the time at our gym, and they're roundoffing from a springboard to BHS on progressively higher mats. I've not seen any of them go over the table this way yet, although there is a boy at a higher level who has been doing it, but he IS ready.

Wallflower, the first actual giant my daughter did ended up in an elbow dislocation because she hit her feet on the bars. Pins, surgery, missed half of season.

My 9 yo (51 inches tall) has her yurchenko on the real table, regulation height (minus the landing. She still does her layout after she hits the vault table into the pit)...but it isn't pretty enough to compete yet! Hopefully by Fall it will be cleaned up...our youngest at our gym doing yurchenkos is 8, then my DD at 9. It's possible but I don't think its common.

Well I had a look on youtube and there are no "amazing suzie aged 7 yurchenko" so I guess it isn't possible ;)

However I'm sure there's a poster here who has a 9 year old who competes yurchenko's. Lovofu is it?

I can't comment on the yurchenko but we had sn exceptionally talented 8 year old go through level 5 ,6, and 7 in one year. Compulsories are in fall and optionals are in winter. She did one level 6 competition to test out. It is possible to go through three levels in one year. She then went on to make the tops a team and did level 8 as a 9 year old. I don't know what vault she is working on since I am focused on my almost 7 year old just getting over the vaulting table for the new level 4!

Level9mom- I have no idea since I'm not a coach. But if you look up the definition of Yurchenko it has a few options for the dismount. I'm not as concerned about as you are but if it bothers you that much you can ask your child's coach why a coach would ask someone to do a double back. She had a good practice, and thought I would share, also I never said she was going to be competing this vault.. She's just training it.

GymBeeMom and gymmomtotwo- thank you, thank you, thank you :) some people just don't get it!

Level9mom- I have no idea since I'm not a coach. But if you look up the definition of Yurchenko it has a few options for the dismount. I'm not as concerned about as you are but if it bothers you that much you can ask your child's coach why a coach would ask someone to do a double back. She had a good practice, and thought I would share, also I never said she was going to be competing this vault.. She's just training it.

I think you meant to post this comment to wallflower? I agree with wallflower...maybe it "appears" to be two back flips when actually it's just one but starts from a "handstand" position, so it looks like 2. I can't picture a 7 year old standing on a vault table and doing a double back off of it. :rolleyes:

And maybe your gym skips the plain old single flip and goes directly to a double.

some people just don't get it!

It's probably not a good strategy to confuse someone disagreeing with you with them not "getting it". Some of these moms have been in "the business" for a lot longer than you have. It is easy to think that you have the wundergymmie of the year but I would caution you to dismiss this amount of practical experience. It feels rather arrogant to think that after a year of competition you would be more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the sport than a high level coach like Dunno and a mom who has a level 9 gymnast.

Just my two cents (which I probably should have kept to myself).....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back