Parents 1st Yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You titled the thread. "1st Yurchenko" and than said,,, "And daughter did her 1st Yurchenko last night. I couldn't believe it. She was so happy, this place is going to be great for her".... Pretty obvious to me that you are making a claim... At least you corrected it...
But now the good news,, I am fairly certain that EDIT; 2 girls were 9 and both competing yurchenko's, Scega also had one and I think Paramount did as well.. possible yes I don't have the DOB's but there were all in the jR 1 division and my 10 year old was a Jr 2.
EDIT, to correct and clarify and remove names. .

For everyone out there sounding super confused about doing double backs for Yurchenkos...it is actually a wonderful drill. I'm not sure about doing them off the table itself, but doing round-off to the board then double back into the pit is useful. A Yurchenko is two flips (back handspring, back tuck/pike/layout off), so it is helpful to get the kids air awareness. Besides, there are many many drills out there and maybe this coach just happened to think of one you don't know:)

Gymmom495, congrats to your daughter! Even doing drills and not the full competition vault itself is such an accomplishment!! It is a lot for a little kid to get together in her head mentally, not to mention physically! She sounds super talented and it is not too early for her to work on this, as she seems to have a bright future ahead of her!

It's probably not a good strategy to confuse someone disagreeing with you with them not "getting it". Some of these moms have been in "the business" for a lot longer than you have. It is easy to think that you have the wundergymmie of the year but I would caution you to dismiss this amount of practical experience. It feels rather arrogant to think that after a year of competition you would be more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the sport than a high level coach like Dunno and a mom who has a level 9 gymnast.

Just my two cents (which I probably should have kept to myself).....

The years change perspective. My dd was "gifted athlete" and skipped Level 4. From level 6 until now she worked out with the 9 and 10's. But things happen. Two major injuries. Mental blocks. Tears. Eventually that bright little star is just a bit beaten up. And I no longer sit at practice or even know what happens at the gym everyday. Her goal is collegiate gymnastics and she has a very good chance for that. IF she stays healthy. Time changes.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

Not even going to jump into the topic but to say one of the girls coachp is referencing was 10.5, not 9. Not going to say which out of respect for her privacy, but I know her DOB.

Not even going to jump into the topic but to say one of the girls coachp is referencing was 10.5, not 9. Not going to say which out of respect for her privacy, but I know her DOB.
==
wasn't sure but already edited it out. my bad,
Anyways, I am sure you can verify that she was working and standing up yurchenkos' at the age of 9. since that is the topic, not competing but completing.

She's tiny, she could pass for 9, as could her teammate who was just 11 and in with your DD. But she's been training that Yurichenko for a long time due to TOPs and if you watch her coaches, they spot everyone she warms up except the very last. And in warm-up, like many 8s, she falls on as many as she stands up.

But yes she's been doing them into the pit since 9 for sure.

She's tiny, she could pass for 9, as could her teammate who was just 11 and in with your DD. But she's been training that Yurichenko for a long time due to TOPs and if you watch her coaches, they spot everyone she warms up except the very last. And in warm-up, like many 8s, she falls on as many as she stands up.

But yes she's been doing them into the pit since 9 for sure.
===
She is awesome. They all are...

Level9mom- I have no idea since I'm not a coach. But if you look up the definition of Yurchenko it has a few options for the dismount. I'm not as concerned about as you are but if it bothers you that much you can ask your child's coach why a coach would ask someone to do a double back. She had a good practice, and thought I would share, also I never said she was going to be competing this vault.. She's just training it.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Just so you don't look ridiculous when you are talking to others or your daughters coaches, there is no "dismount" on vault. There is post flight, but nobody calls it a dismount. And really there are not very many options. Tuck, pike, layout and then twisting that layout up to 2.5 for women (the amanar). The yurchenko double back has been competed by men and I've seen a few women train it, but never seen one compete it. I'm 100% positive your daughter is not doing a yurchenko double back.

For everyone out there sounding super confused about doing double backs for Yurchenkos...it is actually a wonderful drill. I'm not sure about doing them off the table itself, but doing round-off to the board then double back into the pit is useful. A Yurchenko is two flips (back handspring, back tuck/pike/layout off), so it is helpful to get the kids air awareness. Besides, there are many many drills out there and maybe this coach just happened to think of one you don't know:)

Gymmom495, congrats to your daughter! Even doing drills and not the full competition vault itself is such an accomplishment!! It is a lot for a little kid to get together in her head mentally, not to mention physically! She sounds super talented and it is not too early for her to work on this, as she seems to have a bright future ahead of her!

Yes Palmtree the girls at DD's gym do lots of round off double backs and pikes. They also do lots of round off layout, layout onto the resi. But we don't have anyone who stands on the table and does a standing double back. Lots of parents "think" a yurchenko tuck/pike or tsuk looks like they are doing a double off when in reality they are not. Our girls are taught to think of the yurchenko vault as round off with a layout onto the table and then a layout off. It's not a layout on, double back off. I mean unless you are one of the best vaulters in the world.

Drills for me are fine!! I'm just excited to see the backhand spring element being added to her vaulting. The comment someone made about getting wrist guards is a good idea and will be asking her coach on Monday. Yes she competed L4, but then Competed a few meets of L5 then a meet of 6 so it wasn't like she went from 4 to 7/8 without anything in between. I'm here for support and answers to questions just like anyone else, and yes I am not a gymnast so if I get a term or something else said wrong my apologies ahead of time but I'm trying my best. I'm just very proud of my daughter that she can do things at her age that some girls in the gym cannot do. As for the dismount off the table, it was a double back tuck.. But it's ok with me if none of you believe me. I was there, along with her coach and those of you who have kind and supportive words.. Thank you so very much :) ill work on my gymnastics knowledge. Those who don't I would never lie or embellish what she could do. Hope everyone understands :)

Everyone is proud of their children and you deserve to brag as much as anyone else. It is a rare 7 year old that can yurchenko. If thats what she did you deserve to be proud, but please realize that many have come on chalkbucket and made large claims that were obviously not true. I have learned so much from the moms on this board, and even more from the coaches here. Its understandable why many may be hesitant to believe the fast pace your dd has advanced at, and please listen to the safety cautions these wise posters will share along the way. Best wishes to your little one, she sounds quite talented.

Drills for me are fine!! I'm just excited to see the backhand spring element being added to her vaulting. The comment someone made about getting wrist guards is a good idea and will be asking her coach on Monday. Yes she competed L4, but then Competed a few meets of L5 then a meet of 6 so it wasn't like she went from 4 to 7/8 without anything in between. I'm here for support and answers to questions just like anyone else, and yes I am not a gymnast so if I get a term or something else said wrong my apologies ahead of time but I'm trying my best. I'm just very proud of my daughter that she can do things at her age that some girls in the gym cannot do. As for the dismount off the table, it was a double back tuck.. But it's ok with me if none of you believe me. I was there, along with her coach and those of you who have kind and supportive words.. Thank you so very much :) ill work on my gymnastics knowledge. Those who don't I would never lie or embellish what she could do. Hope everyone understands :)

Okay, well, with that clarification I think you are mistaken. :)

Congrats on your daughter's good practice and best wishes for continued success.

Gymbee you said it well. I also don't think I read anyone doubting the fast pace of the child. I know you have a young child, as do I, so we know its possible to move very fast. My DD did level 4 last season as a 6 year old and then as a 7 year old did level 5,6 and 7 (turning 8 while competing 7). I for one was just trying to explain that there is a big difference between actually doing a skill and all the work that goes into it. All of the work that goes into the skills is very exciting to watch and the OP should feel free to brag and be super proud. I think it's the choice of words and its very obvious from the choice of some words that there isn't a great deal of gymnastics knowledge there with the OP, but we are all here to learn.

It's a bit like me saying DD is doing a double front, double back and double Arabian on floor. On bars she is doing overshoots, toe catches, tkachevs and giengers. That's not a lie, but she isn't really "doing" those skills. She is working things related to it, drills, etc. We just a had a National Team clinician at the gym and those are the things they did. There is a huge difference.

For those of you deciding to give me a hard time about my choice of wording on the "dismount" as I have said before I am not a gymnast, coach or other.. As for making a fool of myself to her coach or anyone else at the gym.. I never discuss stuff like this with him. I watch then tell my daughter "great job" for those of you who are worried that I THINK I have more knowledge under my belt after the short time my daughter has been competing, please don't worry yourselves I'm not trying to take anyone's seniority on the gym mom list of knowledge. I take my daughter to gym, watch occasionally, take the feedback from the coaches, and am her biggest fan as any other parent on this site would be. For those of you doubting she did a double back tuck from the vault table.... Too bad, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything! She did it, has been able to do it and will continue to do it. Did she put the entire vaulting element together...no. Is she competing it...no. Thanks to those of you for your kind words. And like I said I have nothing to gain from embellishing or lying about things my daughter can do. I wish everyone's children the best and hope you all can learn to be nicer when someone tries to be proud of their daughter.

It's a bit like me saying DD is doing a double front, double back and double Arabian on floor. On bars she is doing overshoots, toe catches, tkachevs and giengers. That's not a lie, but she isn't really "doing" those skills. She is working things related to it, drills, etc. We just a had a National Team clinician at the gym and those are the things they did. There is a huge difference.

Yes, I think this might also be a source of confusion regarding the OP. DD ran to me last week to tell me she "did her back tuck on beam." Since she's only had her BHS for a couple of weeks, I was rather skeptical. So as I watched her at her request, I saw her "do" her BT.....while her coach spotted her with two hands! LOL

So yes, I think there are several threads of misunderstanding here....drills versus skill, complete versus compete, and training versus doing.

Sometimes we need to speak up for the girls who didn't learn Yurchenkos in one night but in months of risky practice. It's one skill that scares me. Girls have died or been parylyzed doing this vault.

I think you meant to post this comment to wallflower? I agree with wallflower...maybe it "appears" to be two back flips when actually it's just one but starts from a "handstand" position, so it looks like 2. I can't picture a 7 year old standing on a vault table and doing a double back off of. it. :rolleyes:

this is correct. 1 of the drills is kick to a handstand, step down punch then tuck back. :) yet another drill is round off tuck double backs off a board and in to a pit. if they're older, a resi.

if you don't touch your hands, right. otherwise, it is 1 1/2 somersaults once you leave the table.

For those of you deciding to give me a hard time about my choice of wording on the "dismount" as I have said before I am not a gymnast, coach or other.. As for making a fool of myself to her coach or anyone else at the gym.. I never discuss stuff like this with him. I watch then tell my daughter "great job" for those of you who are worried that I THINK I have more knowledge under my belt after the short time my daughter has been competing, please don't worry yourselves I'm not trying to take anyone's seniority on the gym mom list of knowledge. I take my daughter to gym, watch occasionally, take the feedback from the coaches, and am her biggest fan as any other parent on this site would be. For those of you doubting she did a double back tuck from the vault table.... Too bad, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything! She did it, has been able to do it and will continue to do it. Did she put the entire vaulting element together...no. Is she competing it...no. Thanks to those of you for your kind words. And like I said I have nothing to gain from embellishing or lying about things my daughter can do. I wish everyone's children the best and hope you all can learn to be nicer when someone tries to be proud of their daughter.

yet there is another drill. i know what you are talking about even though you can't 'see' what's being done. in what you have described, they do a back handspring or layout up on to the table or stack mats. they then 'punch' off 2 feet very quickly from that back handspring or layout and do a double back in to the pit.

what you are NOT seeing is a 2 1/2 from the hands or a step down punch double back from a static handstand on top of the table.

Sometimes we need to speak up for the girls who didn't learn Yurchenkos in one night but in months of risky practice. It's one skill that scares me. Girls have died or been parylyzed doing this vault.

yikes! only 1 fatality and that was on the old horse and there were mitigating circumstances and that was in 1988.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back