Parents 1st Yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dunno- exactly!! I'm not a coach and obviously cannot explain or properly term things she is doing but what you described sounds like exactly what I saw. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to believe she can do these drills. Like I said I would not lie to make her sound better than she was. But thank you very much for helping me to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

i posted this in another thread. maybe someone can find it?

So I have read alot responses on this thread, and all I can say is "you have a talented little girl!" Who cares if she is doing yurchenko drills vs the real deal? This is a 7 year old, right? Either way, outstanding! And you sound experienced enough to determine whether a coach has merit or not. They are pretty good judges of skill and natural talent...they woudn't have your DD doing the vault if she wasn't ready. One of my DD's is 8, and training new level 5, and the vault coach said they train yurchenkos for 2 full years before atempting the whole skill. If your little DD is close at 7, then kudos for her!
I would like to look back and say" I first saw that Gold metal Olympian on Chalkbucket!
I would

Yeah for your DD! The BHS up onto the table is really an accomplishment for one so young. My DD just started Tsuk drills, and she competed old 4 last year, and will do new 4 this year. I don't imagine she will skip any levels either, so she has MANY years of drills ahead. I'm glad your DD is thriving at her new gym. I hope she smokes her former gym next season!

495, just a few words of advise from someone else (Everyone, I'm NotAMom (not a coach either) FWIW :) ).

By all means, be proud. Be very proud!!! But, be cautious when things are out of ordinary for your situation (question yourself or the coaches even, particularly when it comes to safety). Also, be cognitive to what people are saying on these boards (even though some may sound offensive to you and/or nitpicky at times). You do want to continue to enjoy these proud moments for a long run, don't you?

BTW, don't worry about the lingo. We all started from the same place. Besides, many of these terms vary from one place (i.e. coach, gym, state or country) to the next. Many of us veterans are still very confused.

Yurchenko's and perspective

Hi....

Indeed my DD was 9 and 1/2 when she flipped her first yurchenko at practice.....after being out 10 weeks with an injury...BUT she face planted her first vault each meet until States! Split lips, spectacular crashes that took years off my life.....she also trains and competes on FIG settings and is only 65 pounds and 4 ft 4. She is now working yurchenko layouts for level 9.....it takes forever to master that vault.....some younger girls are also doing the same at her gym but have been doing drills for a long time! Good luck to the OP and her daughter....but take it slow....moving too fast sets them up for injury and I speak from experience!

lovofu

Gymmom495 - what Dunno said is exactly what I - and several others - said. But we "don't get it"? We aren't saying you weren't telling the truth...we were saying that what you think you saw is probably not what happened. That being said, it's great she's doing drills for this skill.

I'm sticking with my original comment- congrats to your daughter. That's pretty amazing what she's doing. And doing amazing, unbelievable things is what this sport is about. Making the seemingly impossible, possible. I can believe she's doing this and I can believe she's skipped levels as she has. Its not normal, but I've seen it accomplished. Don't let the negative people out there upset you. They mean well.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think it is safe to say that anyone on the chalk bucket "get's it" to some extent. And we should all have respect and camaraderie for each other, as we all live a life as a chauffer for our gymnasts and an ATM for the gyms.

I also think its safe to say most everyone on this board gets it. Some of us have been around the sport for many years. Be proud of your dd's accomplisments, but also pay attention. Trust your gut. Read these forums and learn what is normal and what is not. and trust your gut.
observe practice, it will help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back