• Bridget Sloan
Alternates:

• Ivana Hong
  • Jana Bieger
  • Corrie Lothrop
What does everyone think of the team?

Attachments

Last edited:
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

Ingymmom

Jul 12, 2007
The team is ok... Glad that both IN girls made it. I guess I was hoping for a little surprise thrown in there. No surprises, pretty much what the majority thought.

MdGymMom01

Mar 5, 2008
North America
I wonder what they would have done had Shayla not broken her leg...
She said that it had been bothering her for a while so it was probably due to stress and may have broken inevidibley?
But, the team looks good--no real surprises.

G

gymfreak4ever

Im happy Bridgette made it:) I was hoping she would make it over Jana after I heard so much about how the Karolyis just love Jana so I got a bit worried.

I think the team is pretty good.

gymkat

Former Gymnast
Judge
Jun 24, 2008
I am thrilled that Bridget and Sam both made it; I've been watching them since they were little. :)

I'm a little disappointed that Chelsea Davis didn't get an alternate position, since it sounded like she hit at camp. Her really low A-scores probably didn't help her at all, but I really thought that they would make her an alternate to give her the experience, like they did to Bridget last year. On the other hand, I don't know who she would have bumped off... Jana and Ivana have much more experience and higher A-scores (Jana with a fall still scored close to Chelsea's hit bar set, and bars was really the clincher event IMO), and I don't think that Corrie and Chelsea were directly competing against each other (Corrie could only be used on vault-- but she's actually probably the #3 US vaulter right now-- while Jana/Ivana/Chelsea are more of AA alternates).

W

whipback

I am sooo happy Jana didnt make the team, but upset Sloan made it. I don't really like this team. There is absolutly no atristry in it except for Nastia. It is just sad how ARTISTIC gymnastics has turned into Trick gymnastics/Power gymnastics/The X Games. I would have added Ivana Hong and if Shayla could have I would have added her(poor Shayla). Well atleast China and Ukraine still has artistry! GO CHINA OR UKRAINE!

The whole problem is this code of points. The deductions are not right at all. For example a leap anywhere below 180 degress should be around around a .5 deduction IMO. There should also be big artistry deductions. If that was so then Shawn really wouldnt be where she is. I have nothing against Shawn or power gymnasts but I wished she would have worked on flexibility and dance in her earlier years. There were so many power gymnasts that were great dancers like Tourischeva, Korbut, and Shushunova.

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
Oct 3, 2007
I am real happy with the team no big surprises. I think its ok gymnastics is more about skills and less about the dance. There is a lot to be said for both kinds of gymnasts. I always think we live in the USA so we should support the Olympic Team from our country. GO USA! ;)

A

anniegymnast3

im glad that bridget made it over jana! but one question...didn't something happen with chellsie's back or something? i heard that she got whip lash... idk maybe it wasnt as bad as they thought it was...=)

Last edited by a moderator:

gotgym

Coach/Proud Parent
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
Will all the alternates be traveling with the team ?? I thought I read somewhere last month that 2 will be and 1 stays home but now I cant find anything in regards to the alternates.. How were they announced??Jana-1st alternate, Ivona-3nd?

G

gracefulone

There are two traveling alternates-Ivana and Jana(ha! that rhymes). Corrie Lothrop is the non-traveling alternate, as she can really only be used for vault, which Ivana can also do.

G

gracefulone

im glad that bridget made it over jana! but one question...didn't something happen with chellsie's back or something? i heard that she got whip lash... idk maybe it wasnt as bad as they thought it was...=)
Yes, she did have whiplash, but is fine now. Scratching her events was just a precaution.

W

whipback

I think its ok gymnastics is more about skills and less about the dance. There is a lot to be said for both kinds of gymnasts. I always think we live in the USA so we should support the Olympic Team from our country. GO USA! ;)
If you think that way then there really shouldn't be dance. They should just take the music and dance out of women's gymnastics. And I really disagree with thinking that because you live in america you have to support america in sports. I think that is a really bad way of thinking. I just like the artistic gymnasts who are able to do big skills, make them look good, and dance which China can do and the US can't so I think I should be able to support the team I like which is China.

M

msl529

There are two traveling alternates-Ivana and Jana(ha! that rhymes). Corrie Lothrop is the non-traveling alternate, as she can really only be used for vault, which Ivana can also do.
I heard today that Jana and Ivana, although 'traveling' alternates, will only be allowed to travel to Tokyo, not Beijing, due to some Passport regulation. They will apparently wait there until they are possibly needed. I also heard that they have to go home once the Olympics 'officially' begin. Apparently, alternates can only be put-in during the weeks of training, preceding the Olympics, not during the actual games.

I am not happy to hear this at all. I wish the alternates at LEAST had the comfort of knowing they could be cheering-on their teammates through the competition.

Don't know if this is true, but if so, it's a really big bummer & I do not get it!

J

Jojogymgirl

Where did you find this information? I am really saddened by this. I completely agree with you that they should be able to root on their teammates. And even to Tokyo, that is NOT cheap. How disappointing to spend all that money and travel to Tokyo and wait to see if you get to go to Beijing. Poor Jana and Ivana!

J

Jojogymgirl

I am very thrilled with the Olympic team, however I do agree that we lack some artistry. However we don't lack personality! It would be kind of hard if you have Alicia on the team. I knew they would pick (Nastia-qualified), (Shawn-qualified), Sam, Chellsie, and Alicia. However, I was iffy on that sixth spot. When I heard Jana fell, I was like yay! Bridget's on the team. I don't like Jana, but I do feel bad for her because her bars is really good and fun to watch. I know that USA can hit and do well! Become a member of the I Love Beijing social group if you are excited for 8.8.08 and the OLYMPICS!!!

M

msl529

My dd goes to Bieger's. I heard it from a parent who talked to Jana's dad about it. I am not sure I have my facts straight, but that is the way I understood it. It definitely seems as though the traveling alternates will not be in Beijing...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

msl529

Thank you, Bogwoppit. I was hoping there would be some press on this situation that might shed some more light on the subject. My question is: Why does the men's team have this figured out (i.e., being able to send the men's team alternates to Beijing), and the women's do not? Sounds like someone dropped the ball...

Your quote at the end of your signature is ringing very true, Bogwoppit!

Anyway, I do wish the Olympic team, and all of the amazing Olympic athletes, all the best!

B

Billy

The men's team was chosen weeks ago so they had time to apply for (and apparently obtain) their visas. The women's team was just chosen days ago and they've run up to the last minute. Now they're out of time.

J

Jojogymgirl

I read somewhere that Shayla is going to watch and support the team. HOW SWEET!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!