2009 gymnastics goals... who met theirs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kgymn

Gymnast
So about a year ago I started a thread for us all to list our gymnastics goals for 2009, and now is the time to see who met their goals and who has to add some to their new list for 2010!

Here was the old thread: http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/adult-gymnast-forum/16388-gymnastics-goals-2009-a.html

My goals were as follows:

-get my front handspring consistent, not landing in a low squat
-get my roundoff back handspring back
-get my front and back walkovers back
-get my kip again
-get my squat on on bars back
-learn a front tuck for the first time!
-learn a roundoff on the balance beam.

And I met very few of them! LOL... My front handspring still tends to be landed low. I have worked on my RO-BHS and did do it a few times. Never really worked on the walkovers, still don't have the kip or the squat on. Haven't gotten to the roundoff on beam because my cartwheels aren't consistent enough yet.

The front tuck I got thisclose! If I had gymnastics either of the last 2 weeks of the year I'd have had it in 2009. Instead I started working on it on the rod floor- NOT onto mats in the pit- last week and am landing (low) on my feet pretty consistently! And that was my stretch goal!

I also got a flyspring, which wasn't on my list.

What about you guys?

~Katy

I didn't accomplish any of my 2009 goals because my back still isn't better, and I sprained my ankle badly in October, which also hasn't healed, so I haven't been able to do much of anything, and won't be for awhile! I've worked on BHS on tramp with a harness this year, FHC, and handstand pirouettes (on floor), which is about all I can do with my injuries. I have no goals this year, I just want to not be injured anymore.

Some of my goals for 2009 are:

Get good enough to compete (doing prep opt)
Learn a kip (after I get a proper glide)
Learn a handspring on the VAULT, not just the 4 foot mat
Learn a front and back handspring for floor
Control my cartwheel for beam
Work on my handstand on beam
Perhaps learn a back walkover on beam
pullovers on bars, and back hip circles.

Ok, so I am almost good enough to compete-for my gym. I have a good glide and working on kip skills. Haven't done a FHS vault. Learned a FHS, but only have done it once on the floor, working on BHS, cartwheel on beam got pretty good, handstand on beam still giving problems. Still can't dream of a BWO on beam-can't do it on floor. BUT!!! I did get that pullover(though I have currently lost it, don't know where to find it either!!) and my BHC

I didn't post any goals, but here is what I got in 2009...

Bars
Almost got my kip
Pullover
Back hip circle
Front hip circle
Flyway (until I ripped off and landed on my shoulders, haven't tried it since)

Beam
Cartwheel
Backwalkover on lower beam, with someone just standing by on the high beam
Front tuck dismount
Frontwalkover mount
Lots of dance stuff (full turn, leaps, jumps)

Vault
FHS
Roundoff

Floor
RO BHS up to 4 in a row
FHS
Almost have my front tuck
FWO
BWO
Tourjette 1/2 (it's not pretty yet but I've got it)
Splits (all down except middle it pulls on my bad knee but it's close)

Lots to perfect this year escpecially getting my routines consistent for competition!

Hope to see some of you at them.

camp '09: didn't happen but i am working out three times a week now so i am in better shape to do camp next year.
camp '10: who's joining me in '10?
vault '09: i haven't actually vaulted all year.
vault '10: i want to learn a good hand full, but i'll probably just do a fhs
bars '09: **the kip cast handstand is pretty consistent now, and a lot less archy.
bars '10: a clean routine. no form breaks on giants or clear hips.
beam '09: i got my cartwheel bhs on the high beam with three 8 inchers underneath.
beam '10: fluid and clean beam routines
floor '09: working on the new floor routine to the old music - bewitched.
floor '10: i thought that i wanted my two salto pass to be ro bhs back tuck front tuck, but i decided front tuck ro whip bhs shushunova.

"improve half on half off vault"
- kinda happened, and then I ditched it:D Overall I'm very happy with vault though. Back then I had issues with handsprings (weird technique), which is the only reason I started half on half offs. They were hardly any better for me. Now I'm doing Yama****a 1/2 and tsuks onto a mat in the pit. My ultimate goal would be to compete the tsuk but for now I'llbe happy if I ever did it onto comp height mats.

"a bars routine that includes at least one of a) clear hip - flyaway b) toeshoot and c)straddle underswing-uprise... for that they need to be very clean, because it's no requirement and the harder stuff will only get me deductions"
I ditched the uprise idea, but I've competed clear hip - layout flyaways. We have a fun comp next week where I wanna to the toe hecht, just for the sake of it:D. It doesn't really matter if the kip is ugly or I don't make it at all. Goal for this year: Giants on the real bars. Even if it's heavily spotted. I just wanna do it. Also a consistent clear hip hand or cast handstand.

"beam
round off, arial mount, switch leap, cartwheel-tuck dismount"
I'm kinda doing the round offs, but they're inconsistent and I'm mental on them. Ditched the mount idea - just not working for me. Switch leaps aren'T perfect but okay. Ditched the cartwheel-tuck dismount as I'm now doing front 1/2, hoping for a full.

"floor
get unscared of killing my ankles.
aerial cartwheel or front aerial
tour jete half
front half"
Okay, the scaryness has imprived a bit. Ditched to aerials, because I don't need them anymore, never made the tour jete half. BUT I'm doing front halfs now and sometimes even fulls. Goals for this year: good front tumbling on non spring floor (which is what we compete on, most of the time), front fulls, back twisting and most importantly: front through to back tuck.

Vault
Consistently have handspring full using the board (right now have been using mini tramp due to sore lower legs) and flip tsuks again.

*It got somewhat consistent...still had days when I couldn't land it. Flipped those tsuks onto a resi pit.

Bars
Get my cast consistent for giants, get my straddle backs back, work full twisting layout flyaways and doubles into pit, get 1/2 pirouette back, free hip to handstand would be great.

*Did all except did not get the freehip to handstand. Also got a blind change on pit bar!

Beam
do bhs again on high beam, connected to a back walkover, do cartwheel layout dismount instead of just a tuck, go for front walkover on high beam.

*Did the bhs back walkover. Did a cartwheel pike and also tried cartwheel tuck 1/2s, but didn't try a layout. Did some front walkovers on high beam.

Floor
Do layout 1/2 again, work on fulls at least on tumble track, do front handspring front pike or layout right into front tuck, have the endurance to get thru floor routine w/ level 8 tumbling, get double turn consistently.

*No consistent double turn. Did all of the rest, well sketchy level 8 tumbling but I had two 'B' tumbling passes which was an improvement for me.

My goals were:
I need to relearn a proper squat on. Or even better, pike on.
And a cast to handstand again.
Oh, and something forward and in a row would be good too.
Backhandspring on beam, of course.
And roundoff-whip-2 bhs-tuck.
All 3 splits is my goal for JUNE (I owe my students that one).

And I got the squat on, the level 6 front pass and a fhs dive roll, and the whip pass. And the splits.

Cast handstand, not even close. And can't get up the guts for the backhandspring on beam, for I am old and scared.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back